Climate change , worlds gone mad. I blame the heat.

stanski

Just to step away from Boris for a minute. 

As someone who does actually care about the environment, well ignoring the gas guzzling v8 for a moment, I am getting so fed up with this , ' oooh we are having the hottest July on record moment' in the news and straight away the climate police dive in, its because of climate change. I am sure it is a contributing factor but doesn't this happen to the planet every so often anyway?

Anytime something happens, they are straight in there!

Why are they not going out to farmers fields and sticking bungs up cows bottoms to stop them producing methane?

Why are we now using pigs pee (yes they deny its that)  Adblue its commercial name, to reduce emissions? More to the point how the hell did anyone think spraying wee on a diesel emitting car would have benefits? 

Surely every public loo now has a secondary use? They want to collect all that pee?:lol:

Whilst we are on it what happens to all the hair thats cut at barbers shops? Is it sent to China then converted to that chemical which is used to make pizza dough easier to fold etc?  Once again how the hell did someone discover this?

Sorry for ranting I blame the heat which of course is climate change created by all this crap everyone is sending to China which they then send back for a different purpose!

Why dont we just push China's landmass closer to ours and just wheelbarrow it over?

Simplest ideas are the best.

Use overweight kids to barrow it, makes them fit, minimal climate impact, team building and no doubt more benefits. 

I just like to point out no cows, pigs, toilet attendants or wheel barrows were harmed during the writing of this post. 

The ink on this screen was made from old left over shoe polish. 

Have a nice hot afternoon.:thumbs:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, stanski said:

Why are they not going out to farmers fields and sticking bungs up cows bottoms to stop them producing methane?

My 'veggie' daughter likes to argue that if we all went vegetarian then there would be far less livestock and greenhouse emissions would be significantly reduced. However, she is the 'windiest' person in our family by a long way (only veggie) so my counter argument is that if we all went veggie we would just produce as much methane as the cows anyway.

This was backed up the other week when she fed us a certain type of bean. The flatulence effects were most impressive - much to my amusement and my wife's disgust.

• Haha 4

:lol:

It winds me up, we could get on top of this tomorrow if governments all over the world made the investment required to stop burning dinosaurs and cut down concrete production and proper clean public transport with energy from renewables and better recycling and ending throwaway fashion and cheap gadgets that hit the bin inside a year, but they think too short term and have too many donors.

I have to pay for a carrier bag I need for the shopping to save the whales but some local company can shove endless, unwanted rubbish through my mailbox that uses water and energy to produce and recycle :shrug:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stanski said:

doesn't this happen to the planet every so often anyway?

That would be the definition of (global) climate, yes. Unfortunately so few people understand the difference between climate and weather and therefore use the latter as “proof” of climate change.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ponsonby said:

My 'veggie' daughter likes to argue that if we all went vegetarian then there would be far less livestock and greenhouse emissions would be significantly reduced. However, she is the 'windiest' person in our family by a long way (only veggie) so my counter argument is that if we all went veggie we would just produce as much methane as the cows anyway.

This was backed up the other week when she fed us a certain type of bean. The flatulence effects were most impressive - much to my amusement and my wife's disgust.

Haha thats funny.

Nothing against veggies but I do hate this Vegan fashion at the moment and yes its a fad!

As soon as people say you can slim eating just plastic carrier bags everyone will do it!

I tried quorn for the first time last year and other than a weird taste it was nothing like the lasagne it was supposed to be.

I ended up producing lots of unexploded gases later that day!:lol:

25 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

:lol:

It winds me up, we could get on top of this tomorrow if governments all over the world made the investment required to stop burning dinosaurs and cut down concrete production and proper clean public transport with energy from renewables and better recycling and ending throwaway fashion and cheap gadgets that hit the bin inside a year, but they think too short term and have too many donors.

I have to pay for a carrier bag I need for the shopping to save the whales but some local company can shove endless, unwanted rubbish through my mailbox that uses water and energy to produce and recycle :shrug:

Totally agree but personal agendas and profit will always come before any real progress.

Manchester wants to bring in a clean air zone ,like London yet the worse polluters are buses, vans and taxis belching crap out the back. Bus companies keep aging buses going since they are expensive to replace, likewise vans and taxis. Make them electric, make the public  transport, clean, safe , reliable, electric if you must and cheap or better free. I will use it no problem and help save a few more swans and dolphins.

I was always brought up to look after things so they last longer hence you dont need to replace them anytime soon. Plus we never had the money anyway.

Some items get a second or third use, for example my daughter's old clothes are used for my diy jobs or on the cars when I do servicing. You know mop ups, cleaning waxing only being chucked when have had it. 

(Other half thinks I hoard) but complains about all the cardboard we have every week. You mean all the landfill she orders from Amazon every week. Grrr

Anyway I dont think everyone is being selfish out of choice but if there is money to be made from the environment you bet someone will spot that opportunity.

How do you propose to produce all this extra electricity without polluting? And all those extra batteries which contain precious metals?

A wider question though, is there any evidence that the carrier bag charge has reduced the production of plastic carrier bags at all? Just curious.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

How do you propose to produce all this extra electricity without polluting? And all those extra batteries which contain precious metals?

A wider question though, is there any evidence that the carrier bag charge has reduced the production of plastic carrier bags at all? Just curious.

Haha thats odd I have been saying the very same thing for years.

All the rare metals that need to be mined for batteries, not entirely world friendly, then shipped around the globe in diesel powered massive ships.

Same for the cars, built from new materials remember (ok some metal recycled but not all), then shipped around the world. I had classic cars for years, its my way of recycling haha.

The extensive use of Aluminium, from what I remember you need a lot of energy to produce aluminium sheet.

It goes on and on , basically if you pretend this fantastic electric future is powered by fairies we are fine. 

Plastic bags well for years I have been saying we need to go back to paper bags but infused with cellulose to make them stronger.

How do we know these companies are in fact passing on the money from bags to?? Who exactly? Mister and Mrs Swan so they can get a new pond built at some rich MPs grounds next to their Duck house?:blink:

I fear this thread will go on, I blame this hot weather, its because of climate change on Mars you know.

If only we managed to throw an anchor to Mars pull it closer (and the moon for that matter) we would have a better climate I am sure of it? Pretty sure I can hear Elon Musk already planning that one?:lol:

I have mixed views on this - I think we should all agree that waste was terrible ten years ago with plastic being buried in the ground and tonnes of it not even getting there and thrown out of car windows to make its way into ecosystems. We have improved on a number of issues around plastics but only scratching the surface really with pay for a bag and paper straws, hardly climate saving stuff that.

My best mate runs a renewable energy company and his views are pretty compelling in terms of energy production, his company overproduces by some margin they have to spend just as much storing the stuff as they do producing it. In fact Scotland actually ran itself for something like a full day on just renewable energy recently so power production is really shifting. Then I also met an ecologist professor at a recent school kids party, she is vegan and throws big numbers around about fish stocks, methane etc. and just says we all need to go vegan and thats it - at least one person is realist and one is idealistic!

The power argument is an interesting one, as production of renewable is 24 hours a day, basically if we shifted as much power usage to overnight (like only charging mobiles/tech at night instead of during the day) renewable would pretty much support it all.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, coldel said:

I have mixed views on this - I think we should all agree that waste was terrible ten years ago with plastic being buried in the ground and tonnes of it not even getting there and thrown out of car windows to make its way into ecosystems. We have improved on a number of issues around plastics but only scratching the surface really with pay for a bag and paper straws, hardly climate saving stuff that.

My best mate runs a renewable energy company and his views are pretty compelling in terms of energy production, his company overproduces by some margin they have to spend just as much storing the stuff as they do producing it. In fact Scotland actually ran itself for something like a full day on just renewable energy recently so power production is really shifting. Then I also met an ecologist professor at a recent school kids party, she is vegan and throws big numbers around about fish stocks, methane etc. and just says we all need to go vegan and thats it - at least one person is realist and one is idealistic!

The power argument is an interesting one, as production of renewable is 24 hours a day, basically if we shifted as much power usage to overnight (like only charging mobiles/tech at night instead of during the day) renewable would pretty much support it all.

Interesting stuff.

I know enough vegans my mrs even went vegan for 6 months but for health reasons, she wasn't happy.

I am not a big meat eater but humans are designed to be both.

What people forget, to recreate a lot of substitute vegetarian foods (I still dont get vegetarians who buy veggie sausages or burgers that look and taste like meat?) manufacturers put in all sorts of artificial crap, so how can that be healthy?

My chemistry teacher always said we shouldn't be burning oil its too precious, so many more uses as plastic , well look at the state of the world now but we would be struggling without it.:surrender:

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Until it’s a breeze free day or too windy and the turbines can’t cope, unless the government starts building huge battery stores or @*!# tones more hydro power stations we haven’t got a chance. Most of Britain’s power is coming from ageing nuclear plants which aren’t being replaced quick enough to provide the base load needed for countries to run. And at the same time they want us all to use electric cars and put even more demands on a struggling ageing national grid. Not enough being done fast enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Until it’s a breeze free day or too windy and the turbines can’t cope, unless the government starts building huge battery stores or @*!# tones more hydro power stations we haven’t got a chance. Most of Britain’s power is coming from ageing nuclear plants which aren’t being replaced quick enough to provide the base load needed for countries to run. And at the same time they want us all to use electric cars and put even more demands on a struggling ageing national grid. Not enough being done fast enough. 

At least use Google just once before making up imaginary  'facts' :).

UK grid demand is FALLING not going up, nuclear contribution has stayed the same over a decade, wind has gone from been nothing to generation almost as much as nuclear, solar is currently in the same situation as wind was in the last decade but will catch up quick.

Our small 4KW solar PV panels already generate more electricity than we use (car charging excluded), we are having a battery storage system fitted very soon which will reduce our day time electricity use to roughly 2kWh per day (30p) all year round averaged. 

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-electricity-generation-2018-falls-to-lowest-since-1994

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

I don’t give a toss about the environment. It was here a long time before I got here, and it’ll be here a long time after I’m gone. Anything after that ain’t my problem. 

....what about the kid your potentially going to be a dad too? You wouldn't care what kind of future they have?

Anyone actually interested in FACTs on UK energy generation there is a whole government department website for it.

Latest report is Q1 2019, shows UK grid demand continues to fall - 6% compared to Q1 2018. Renewables generated 35.8% of UK energy in Q1 compared to 16% for Nuclear. I suspect by the end of Q4 2019 renewables may even match gas for UK electricity generation. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/electricity-section-5-energy-trends 

I hope renewables do go the distance and help reduce the reliance we have on the older power stations. 

But remember where all solar panels are made, yes China!!

Hence my earlier suggestion of pushing their or our landmass closer and using wheelbarrows rather than huge poluting diesel trucks. 

Dear Boris as new PM I have a few suggestions for you.....:lol:

Chill peeps this is only a bit of fun.:victory:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

Our small 4KW solar PV panels already generate more electricity than we use (car charging excluded),

So, ignoring the fossil fuels required to make the panels in the first place, how the f**k is that a solution to problem of everyone having an electric car??

Or if it isn’t, what’s the relevance to this conversation?