Driving a Modified Car in Germany

Silverthorn

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice from anyone that has driven their modified car through Germany.

On the 3rd of August me and my girlfriend are taking her (slightly) modified GT86 on a 2 week EU road trip and one of the countries we are driving through is Germany.

758357226_EuRoadtrip.PNG.a19548e4a0708804ab132f0a2c2ad4ca.PNG

I've checked the requirements for the countries we are visiting and already have everything we need to carry (triangle, high vis, breathalyser, Swiss Motorway Pass etc.) but I've heard a few horror stories about driving through Germany with their strict rules on modified cars.

However, most of these stories relate to cars with crazy camber, stretch and all sorts.

Her car is almost stock. It only has a set of Calibre Suzuka wheels (with correctly sized tyres), 25mm wheel spacers and Meister R Coilovers.

IMG_0775.jpg.5eca3dc812071463bf9701cd3de72f7e.jpg

Do you guys think we have anything to worry about?

Hopefully I'm just over-thinking this but i really don't want to get stranded miles from home as the car has been seized for some ridiculous reason. (I watched a documentary where a guy had his basically bone stock Octavia VRS seized for wheel spacers...)

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Silverthorn

8 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Miles over thinking it. 

Exactly what i wanted to hear!

I was only concerned with the fact that none of the parts fitted are TÜV approved. But figured this probably wasn't too great on an issue given the parts fitted to most track cars visiting the ring.

The gt86 looks stock apart from a nice set of alloys. Nothing to worry about.

If it had been chavved up lime green fast and furious stylie that would be another story but then again a lot of traffic cops are car buffs too.

Enjoy the trip.:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

You might have problems if you took your car over there though :lol: 

That's exactly the reason we're taking hers :lol:

I'd love to take mine but it's just asking for trouble. I'd probably struggle to even get it on the train, let alone the rest of the trip... 

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, coeld said:

Did the trip go without issues? I'm having the same concerns :)

I've done a few euro rallies with @nissanman312 , he's done way more than me and we've never had any major issues with the police or authorities.

I've bought the road tags for Germany and Switzerland on some trips but not on others so I'm not sure anyone has ever checked them.

I did a good weekday rally around wales a few years back as well, the only thing getting in the way was the sheep.

Either way it's always been fun. :)