Car insurance confusion

zelda

Hi,

Here's an interesting one. Checked my bank statement tonight and saw £330 had been paid to Hastings Direct.

As my Zed insurance doesn't renew for another couple of months I checked the insurance expiry for my wife's BMW and sure enough the date the money came out was the date of her renewal. BUT, the insurance for the last year was with Direct Line!

As far as I know Hastings aren't owned by Direct Line so at this point I have zero idea how personal details including credit card info has gone from one company to another.. The BMW has never been insured with Hastings, only Direct Line.

If we log in to Direct Line website theres no policy information, and after doing a chance password reset on Hastings website (because we've never had an account with them) we've logged in and can see the new policy certificate.

We've had nothing in the post or email from either company to tell us what the renewal price would be etc. or that we'd been passed to another insurer.

Luckily Direct Line have phones open on Sunday so I'll call tomorrow but in the mean time anyone had this before?

Edited by zelda

Obviously their computer system data is duff. Maybe they have outsourced their IT to some numpty company, either way they are in the poo on many levels. The direct debit guarantee covers you for a full refund just dont let them take the Mick and say yes we will send you a refund cheque in the post!

So the Hastings policy covers which car, according to the policy documents?

You mention that the Z insurance isn’t due and that the dates coincide with the BMW insurance but not who you’ve actually insured either with, so who should the Z and the BMW be insured by?

Whilst insurance companies can share details they can’t just create policies, obtain credit card details and take payments just from the details they can share with each other (if they’ve shared your credit card details, that’s a significant data security breach for a start). From the details you’ve provided, it sounds much more plausible that your wife has changed the policy when hers was due, purely on the face of it.

Interested to see how this plays out though because they’re certainly not part of the same organisation.

Ok false alarm. Panic over. :lol:

The BMW is indeed insured with Hastings. Everything is paperless with them so I had nothing filed away, apart from the 'proposal of insurance' from Direct Line which at a panicked glance last night looked like a proper certificate. Doh!

A case of too much sun and beer me thinks.. 

• Haha 1