New Corvette C8

hmale4yu

Initial thoughts on this? Its estimated to start from $60k which may translate as some speculate at circa £75k over here. Also confirmed in RHD

I'm expecting the C7 prices to take a hit despite there being so few of them here. I saw the video with Jay Leno and he questioned whether the hatch was aluminium to which he was answered that it was in fact fibre glass - something that's apparent from the close up on the video

Not sure on the looks . These taken outdoors in a more natural lighting give a better impression then the car show shots and the heavily edited promo stills

Untitled.jpg

Its still got a Vette back end (Maybe a little camaro esque) but the front sort of looks like a ferrari 360 but in the style of the 458. I kind of like it but at the same time I absolutely love the front engined look with the landing strip of a bonnet.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a C8 stingray side to side with a C7 stingray in the same colour preferably white. I think the C7 looks better from the back by a mile with the centre exhausts , more prominent (less Camaro-esque lights). C8 looks better from the front although there is nothing, no one angle where  the C8 design looks unique/revolutionary . Side looks a bit fussy and could do without that black plastic

As said above with the side profile on that bottom right it's gotta hint of 360 about it. Never had much of a thought on Corvettes (although I did like the C3 design) but this might be a bit of fresh air for them, indeed something very different. Will be interesting to see the first driven reviews online when people start to get their hands on them.  Looks wise, not bad I don't think I'd fire my money towards one (if I had that kinda money lol) 

1 hour ago, AMT said:

As said above with the side profile on that bottom right it's gotta hint of 360 about it. Never had much of a thought on Corvettes (although I did like the C3 design) but this might be a bit of fresh air for them, indeed something very different. Will be interesting to see the first driven reviews online when people start to get their hands on them.  Looks wise, not bad I don't think I'd fire my money towards one (if I had that kinda money lol) 

Why not vs the Zupra, 718, Alpine, Cayman and M2. Surely worth looking at if it was realistic

I used to love the styling of corvettes, the early stingrays, through to mad 1970`s "hot wheels" style stingrays, then the C4, even liked the C5 & C6 when the styling seemed to get more aggressive, but in my opinion it seems to have gone down hill since. The C7 looked less like a corvette and now this C8... just looks really odd to me. Looks like someone has taken 3 or 4 different cars, chopped them up and welded them together. :scare:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:55, rabbitstew said:

I used to love the styling of corvettes, the early stingrays, through to mad 1970`s "hot wheels" style stingrays, then the C4, even liked the C5 & C6 when the styling seemed to get more aggressive, but in my opinion it seems to have gone down hill since. The C7 looked less like a corvette and now this C8... just looks really odd to me. Looks like someone has taken 3 or 4 different cars, chopped them up and welded them together. :scare:

This. The interior has dramatically improved C7 to C8 though. Agree with absolutely everything here. Its a shame as the C6 Wide Body (grand sport, Z06 and ZR1) is one of my fav cars of all time. The C7 could have been good if they didn't faff around with rear as much. C6 Grandsport really hits the spot for me. unfortunately realistically the best way to get a good one would be import from US. just not financially viable. My hopes are now with the successor to the 370z

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2019 at 21:56, GranTurismoEra said:

i have a feeling it will be around £60,000-£70,000

Looks wise it looks good. I rather this than a 4 pot. 

That’s probably a bit optimistic for the U.K. market.  If a base one is $60k, plus 24% VAT + duty, that’s $75k before shipping, add in the extra build cost of a RHD, middlemen costs in getting them over here and supported, the small numbers that would probably be involved and the £ bombing against the $ at the minute, I’d say nearer £85k -£90k for a reasonably well spec’d model.  That’s highish end 911 territory, but if it’s as good as has been written......

I don’t think Chevy will put the effort Ford did into the Mustang as a ‘glogbal’ brand and at the Mustangs launch in the U.K., the £ v $ was around $1.75ish.  I’d love to see The Camaro being pushed as a global brand, with competitive pricing against the global Mustang.  Will that happen?  Who knows, but a Mustang GT is getting close to £50k now (again exchange rate not helping)

Anyway, if I had £85-90k I’d buy one :teeth:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this interesting article that talks about possible build quality and reliability issues with the C8. I have pasted the best bits below as some of these links can be slow to load. My feeling that whilst the C8's performance for the price will be unmatched, looks and build issues rule it out for me later down the road. I feel that the C7 is the one to go for as its really offers the best rounded package. I loved the looks of the C6 wide body models but the interior I couldn't live with. I still feel that 2014/2015 C7s should have dropped more by now here? When they do come on the market they are early to mid £40s from a reputable dealer albeit low miles. 

15 Build Quality

From a sheer economics view, the fact that Chevy would try to build a new, affordable supercar for the masses seems like a dubious choice. The old saying goes that manufacturers can only pick two between speed, weight, and cost—but it seems like Chevy has tried to go for all three. Meanwhile, one C8 owner already sheared an axle at the strip, pointing to serious build quality concerns.
RELATED: 
15 Photos Of How The Chevy Corvette Has Changed Over The Years

Leaky Engine Bay

via Motor1
One quick video that popped up featuring a legit concern about the C8 Corvette surrounds the engine bay cover. Of course, every C8 owner wants their mid-mounted 6.2-liter V8 to be visible for fans and vented, to prevent overheating, but the fact that so much water gets into the engine bay during a quick wash obviously made people nervous immediately.

Transmission Blown

via Autogespot
One terrible headline that emerged quite quickly after new C8 Corvettes began delivering to eager customers revealed that one poor owner suffered a transmission failure—after only 32 miles! As reported by CarBuzz, the owner hadn't even been hooning about, as might be expected, and had been following the break-in procedures.

Paint Scratching

via Motor1
Another quick issue that popped up for the C8 came down to a strange screw, which appeared to be the wrong length for its application near a door and ended up scratching and denting the new C8's paint job. Apparently, the screw was part of the doorjamb assembly and stuck out too far when the door closed—and The Drive reports this wasn't an isolated incident, either.

Stitching Problems

via autoevolution
General Motors is going through a love-hate relationship with social media right now, no doubt. On one hand, social media allows happy customers to show just how potent of a sports car the C8 Corvette is—on the other, unhappy customers can quickly snap a photo and share it with the world showing little details like the terribly uneven stitching on the brand-new C8's dashboard seen above.

Seat Wrinkles

via The Drive
Another C8 Corvette owner took to social media to express displeasure about the state of the car's seats. It seems as though the upholstery departments at GM service facilities might have a lot of work on their hands, given how quickly the seat covers seem to be wrinkling and scrunching up.

Haunted Horn

via Driving Line
Nobody likes a car that gets a personality, especially a brand-new, highly anticipated release like the C8 Corvette. But some new owners have suffered through some quirky horn behavior, with a whole section of the popular Corvette Forum website dedicated to horns that honk on their own or don't honk at all—the latter of which is a safety issue.

Window Gremlins

via GM Authority
Electrical gremlins can be the most troublesome and worrisome problem for a vehicle to have, especially because they're so hard to fix and can lead to a very bad reputation (just ask Jaguar about buying two of their cars or Volkswagen about the Touareg).
A particular strain of gremlins seems to have infested the C8's window switches, causing windows to go up and down for no reason.

Source: https://www.thethings.com/legit-concerns-about-the-c8-corvette-so-far/

Wow, thats why sometimes the release of a new model is best left for sometime so the manufacturer can iron out all the issues with the car. Hopefully these build issues get addressed. 

At the price point there were going to be issues here and there but no one would have envision this many. The main thing is they shouldn't hesitate to issue a recall on the mechanical issues first and foremost. 

Worst thing they can do is do an Audi and deny all responsibility or start making excuses. They will quickly lose customers. Address any issues with customers hopefully they will be satisfied and not start rejecting cars or starting class action suits 

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

Were older Vettes not the same though? Build quality has never been a US motoring strong point. 

I think the C7 isn't too bad a lot better looking imo with the central exhausts, coke bottle body etc. Most are have got low miles on them the few that come on the market. Just feel that paying £40+ for one is a bit much esp since i8s, LC500s, pre MY17 GTRs are dropping, F types, TTRS etc

The other issue with the C8 seems to be the axle twisting on testing when they have been playing around with the engine probably for the Z06 and ZR1. I would be more nervous about buying those models tbh . 

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

Were older Vettes not the same though? Build quality has never been a US motoring strong point. 

Although come to think of it there def is a gap in terms of the paint finish, interior (obviously) to the Germans . I know the colours are not like for like the BMW had that vivid colour to it that made you want to touch it. The vette seemed a bit flat and faded. I wont mention the mirrors lol

P1030313.jpg

On 07/05/2020 at 15:56, GranTurismoEra said:

are you sure you want a Corvette? Thread carefully! 

Only if C7 auto  drop to £35k mark but really I would buy only from Ian Allen for peace of mind and to resell later through them. Mind you they have closed a branch recently and after looming recession do you think they will be around in 5yrs? 

Edited by hmale4yu

• 2 weeks later...

Good old Virginia Water. Its hard to tell tbh man. Everyones cutting back or tightening operations. They are in a good area over in Virginia Water. 

Everything seems to be shifting towards SUV and electric saloons. Its hard to say.

We truly are in the last days of 2 seater High performance large engined cars. The future is not looking good. Id say if we waited long enough it may be too late.

Id say if thats what you want go get it. Ive been driving my ZED almost daily. This pandemic actually hammers home the fact that nothing is guaranteed in the future. Jobs, economy, the next pandemic, ban on ICE vehicles, ban on entering cities with ICE vehicles. 

It may eventually become a game for the top 10%. Maybe they will be the only ones willing to pay £1000s in VED, cost of purchase and Petrol to drive a classic Petrol car lol

Sorry to go off topic, but im always trying to picture whats ahead.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 2 weeks later...