Terrible crash in Stevanage during a car meet

Ekona

This footage shows a crash between a 350Z and another car, and the aftermath. There were two fatalities. Judge for yourself if you want to see, but I feel it's worth posting if it stops one person being an idiot. 

https://streamable.com/al0cm

And how many people on here have driven like this during a meet? Or stood that close just to get the perfect Insta vid? Too many. Lives lost for no reason. FFS have a word with yourselves and think before you feel like you want to impress a bunch of strangers with how loud/fast your car is. :( 

• Like 1

Seen this on the news and few camera angles at it. 

Initially one news channel said they where racing, but you can see the gt86 pulls out in front of the zed. 

Terrible accident that was totally avoidable. 

Heart goes out to everyone involved. I’m sure we have all been there at meets either videoing or a quick blip of the exhaust etc. Shows how quickly south things can head 

Definitely avoidable, tragic news, the report I read didn’t mention fatalities just injuries 

The 86 pulled out wrongly but what you can’t see is how view blocked by the crowd wanting the videos like dan mentioned. When I was leaving donington it was the same, large crowd getting videos but I couldn’t see if there was oncoming traffic or not cos there were too many people in the way. Big part of the problem not just the speeding cars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

This footage shows a crash between a 350Z and another car, and the aftermath. There were two fatalities.

Who's reporting 2 fatalities, the news stories I've read at the moment all say 17 injured?

An awful incident that, as said, could have been completely avoided :shrug:

No idea why people feel the need to a) drive so fast outside a car show/meet and b) stand so close the road when cars are driving at such speeds...

That said, hope they all make a full and speedy recovery!

1 hour ago, Sargara said:

Who's reporting 2 fatalities, the news stories I've read at the moment all say 17 injured?

Mixed reports for me, heard of 4,2,1,0 from different reports 

I would suspect that one of the perpetrators, at least, will be a member on here.  No doubt they’ll not be posting much soon.

Sadly this is a tragedy for all involved, more so the injured or the dead’s, if any, relatives, but also for the two drivers, their lives will also be ruined.  This will happen again sooner or later unfortunately, it’s inevitable, given the modding scene and the social media input to such meets.  

Together with people mixing up ambition with ability on the driving skill side, youthful exuberance and encouragement from peers, this will happen again.  I’ve no answers other than for all involved in these collaborations to enthuse moderation and common sense.

As of 10mins ago, 

https://apple.news/AnteHgVrOT9Kb2y4RmkmqEg

Edited by The G Man

1 hour ago, Silverthorn said:

An awful incident that, as said, could have been completely avoided :shrug:

No idea why people feel the need to a) drive so fast outside a car show/meet and b) stand so close the road when cars are driving at such speeds...

Always the way though isnt it. At these sort of events spectators expect people to show off their cars a bit, and as a driver it can be very hard not to rev your engine or show off a bit. Bit like matey with his V8 the other day who did a rolling burnout into someones wall. That said, there is a difference between revving an engine and racing past the crowd like a nutter at break neck speed. You have to be a special kind of muppet to risk doing that, not only because of potentially hitting a spectator, but with everyone recording it all on their camera phones & posting to instagram with your number plate on show....

• Like 2

Muppets, Plenty of blame to go around here..

The GT86 clearly should not have pulled out, he could see the Nissan and the speed involved, no doubt he though he'd be able to have a "race" the biggest lack of brains available.

The 350z, why are you racing along a street lined with people? Pretty dumb.

Spectators, why are you standing feet from muppets?

The interview with the organiser sounds like he's a very level headed guy, the meet is in a carpark with speed bumps to stop people being idiots but as always brain dead morons have to turn up to try and make themselves feel special by being idiots.

Just shocking stuff, if people choose to be this way there's no wonder the police and society clamp down on it and wanting to admire a group of nice cars and have a chat then becomes some illegal activity.

I'd never ever put my life in the hands of morons around me. Everyday when I drive I'm fully aware that every other car could be driven by a complete idiot and keep the appropriate distance and try to fully anticpate that they could choose to do anything not just what I'd expect.

• Like 4

I thought nobody died, only people were injured. Hope there were no fatalities. 

Agree with everyone saying pretty much everyone is at some way at fault here.

I wonder if anyone will be punished, everyone who goes to the kinds of meets always moans about the high amount of police presence. It's pretty clear why the police are there, to try and stop these things from happening.

2 hours ago, JetSet said:

Racing on the highway, seize cars, crush them, 3 years automatic ban. I'm sorry to say this but films like Fast an Furious encourage this sort of stupidity.

Pete 

Fast and furious films only encourages bells to behave like this, us older folk  know how to behave on the road, glad know body was killed

On 19/07/2019 at 12:46, JetSet said:

Racing on the highway, seize cars, crush them, 3 years automatic ban. I'm sorry to say this but films like Fast an Furious encourage this sort of stupidity.

Pete 

But they werent racing. 

We had a lad on SXOC who actually got banged up for street racing when in actual fact he had just stopped to assist a guy that had crashed after driving like a dick, a taxi driver testified he had seen them going for it when its believed it was another car entirely. 
Id rather not have my car crushed because some tosser tells the police Ive been racing when I havent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docwra said:

But they werent racing. 

We had a lad on SXOC who actually got banged up for street racing when in actual fact he had just stopped to assist a guy that had crashed after driving like a dick, a taxi driver testified he had seen them going for it when its believed it was another car entirely. 
Id rather not have my car crushed because some tosser tells the police Ive been racing when I havent. 

nightmare right there!! that's where a traffic camera would save your ass 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2019 at 16:32, Ben–350Z said:

Literally what I thought. Just added a dashcam to my shopping list...

Same here they are so cheap on ebay too no need for some top end gps dashcam. With my other halfs car accident last week, if it wasn't for a lady having a dashcam fitted the day before, we would not have known what happened to her, as she cant remember the event still?

For the sake of £20+ its a no brainer!

• Like 1