Best Catback/test pipes

decrobinson1999

Hi,

I have read into a few forums and looked at a few different exhausts. I was just wondering what people thought was the best exhaust system.

Personally I am not looking for an obnoxiously loud exhaust as i daily drive the car, ideally i would just like a 25% increase in noise over stock with a deeper exhaust note and as little drone as possible. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome along - I would browse the subforum you have just posted in it is full of videos, reviews etc. 

You need to quote a budget, you have lower end stuff like Cobra and much higher end titanium options if you are willing to spend a few thousand. Browse a few trader sections like Tarmac, Torqen etc. on here too who offer up good insight into exhaust options.

Most people go for sports cats alongside the exhaust, rather than decats, just to make the MOT that bit easier.

Hi I will do thanks, sports cats may be a good idea rather than decat, never thought of the MOT and having to change the exhaust back each year, i would probably look at spending 800GBP max for now. A good back box might get me to what i want for now, in the future i am looking at FI so i intend to do headers and other things to accompany this is time. 

I am looking into getting a CAI/plenum spacer this week and possibly a short shifter however i haven't looked into if this is worth it yet or not

If you're replacing the entire exhaust system (except headers) with aftermarket parts but only want a 25% increase in noise/no drone you might struggle, most will be significantly louder. 

If you're going FI then I wouldn't bother with HFCs (that will ultimately fail), I'd save up for some decent test pipes (resonated ones to kill the drone) and just find a "friendly" MOT tester. 

In terms of cat back systems I'd probably look into the miltek, it's known to be only slightly louder than oem with standard cats (more so with decats) but a much nicer tone. 

Thanks for the info, the miltek might seem like a good option for now, with maybe a Y pipe (any suggestions would be appreciated) and would it be better to have a true dual exhaust from the Y pipe to the tips or a single or somewhere in between? The only other car I have had experience with the exhaust was my Toyota gt86 and that was much different. The only reason I'm trying to keep the noise down for now is that I am currently living at my girlfriends while we sort the mortgage for her new house and cant see her family and the neighbours being too keen on an overly loud car in the early morningbut it shouldn't be too much longer

hanks for the info, the miltek might seem like a good option for now, with maybe a Y pipe (any suggestions would be appreciated) and would it be better to have a true dual exhaust from the Y pipe to the tips or a single or somewhere in between? The only other car I have had experience with the exhaust was my Toyota gt86 and that was much different. The only reason I'm trying to keep the noise down for now is that I am currently living at my girlfriends while we sort the mortgage for her new house and cant see her family and the neighbours being too keen on an overly loud car in the early morningbut it shouldn't be too much longer 

I thought that myself but I dont really want an overly loud exhaust, I made that mistake when fairly driving my gt86 to work (as I do my 350) and there was horrible drone exactly at all the points in the rev range you use for daily driving :bang: the stock exhaust is pretty nice, I'd just like it to be a bit louder so I can hear it in the cabin for now 

That seems like a good way to go, i would be able to do it in stages then rather than all at once as i do need to set some money aside for a RJM clutch pedal kir as i am having some trouble with the sticky clutch and think it just lets down the feel of the full car

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 07:11, decrobinson1999 said:

I thought that myself but I dont really want an overly loud exhaust, I made that mistake when fairly driving my gt86 to work (as I do my 350) and there was horrible drone exactly at all the points in the rev range you use for daily driving :bang: the stock exhaust is pretty nice, I'd just like it to be a bit louder so I can hear it in the cabin for now 

I went for TORQEN decats and then Toyosport Y pipe back. I didn't have any issues with the fiment on any of the parts. sprayed everything apart from the decats in high temp black paint before putting it on. Sounds amazing, no drone at all when on motorway and quiet when cruising around town. But the smiles soon kick in when you put your foot down :yahoo:

Recently fitted the Motordyne ART and XYZ pipes and im chuffed with the new set up and noise. Engine revs out easier with noticeably stronger pick up, no rasp or drone at motorways speeds either thankfully.

Hopefully the eml stays away :yuck:

1583730222_IMG_20190803_114533151_HDR2.jpg.f69fa8b3cda4e570852503efc5347bc3.jpg

1160303640_IMG_20190803_142425914_HDR2.jpg.414743859e4a843780b0698ee87fc137.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

On 06/08/2019 at 11:48, davey_83 said:

Recently fitted the ART and XYZ pipes and im chuffed with the new set up and noise. Engine revs out easier with noticeably stronger pick up, no rasp or drone at motorways speeds either thankfully.

Hopefully the eml stays away :yuck:

Was it you bought them off me?

Lovely job on the heat wrap... and painted helmholtz resonators?

Don't suppose you've had a HC count check on a emissions tester? I think that single cat is only 200CPSI?

I've got new custom made sports cats which are 200CPSI, same as BERKs I believe. EML comes on currently but I have some 45 degree spacers to add. The rest of my custom 3" post-Y system with 2 resonators then makes it insanely loud at low throttle loads in traffic... :blush: Might take it back to get another large res. added straight after the Y section. (it's single all the way to tip)

Edited by msitpro

6 hours ago, ILUVUNICORNS said:

I’m now worried my new system will be  too loud?

i have just got a Cobra Cat Back Exhaust

Decats, Stillen Gen 3 CAI with an UpRev. 

What diameter is the Cobra system and what sort of mufflers/resonators has it got? Dual exit with muffler on both branches?

15 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Not had the emissions checked, but I'm hoping the ceramic coating & heat wrap will help the HFC to do it's thing. Yeah it's the one from you David. 

Pictures of your new set up please fella :thumbs:

Don't catalysts operate better the more heat they have? Although then typing that I'm thinking, actually, the heat will stay in the exhaust components rather than dissipating out... So yeah, that's a great idea in theory - acts as a heat shield to other components and keeps the heat in the exhaust for better emissions.

I've not got many good shot of it yet tbh, life been a bit mental recently - any spare time I did have on the car around a month to month and a half ago was making sure it was in tip top shape for trip to Spa to watch the 24hr.

Here's a couple anyway, viewing rear and the Y-pipe. I had DC Sports stainless headers (extra smoothed/de-burred inside by me also) installed along with the custom cats and rest of system.

IMG_20190712_215021.jpg

IMG_20190715_175334.jpg

• Like 1

That set up looks real nice fella, question is what's next? Do you have a build thread? 

Yeah the wrap is to keep the heat in helping the cat and hotter gases travel faster. Hopefully should lower the transmission tunnel warm also as after sprinted drive it's rather toasty. Plus it's looks sick as f**k!!! 

Edited by davey_83

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to change my cats too but I have some questions. I want to install test pipes with Helmholtz chambers or HFCs.

1. I see all of the test pipes on the market are with different volumes of the Helmholtz chambers. I read it is important this volume be right calculated not only for a better sound but also because the exhaust gases flow resonates in such a way that creates a vacuum after the exhaust valves. Is there information about some test pipes which are right calculated? Is the volume of the chamber affects on the sound?

2. These days one friend told me he prefers HFCs because it is important the flow be a little restricted because this will increase the performance of the engine.

I forget to explain I still didn't make any modifications on the exhaust system. I will keep the engine atmospheric. I'm planning to change first cats and after that the rest of the exhaust without the heathers. I want to achieve the best performance of the engine which depends on the exhaust and the sound should be deep (without drone) and not so loud on the low and middle revs.