Steering yoke/u-joint alignment

RobPhoboS

So this dipstick here put paint marks on the upper end of the u-joint rather than the lower end. Unbeknownst to me, I didn't know that the top half can only go in one way.

So my question is, how do you orient this back in the correct way (ie so the steering wheel isn't angled off centre)?

I can see a little protrusion on the steering rack, and on the lower splined bolt (that the joint slides over) it has a circular indentation.

For now I lined up the lower u-joint with the circular indentation on the splined bolt it goes over. However, that doesn't line up with the protrusion. So does this mean I need to slide the joint off and turn the splined bolt a little? 

Note, my steering wheel is being held with bungee cords, so as not to turn the wheel and potentially break the clock spring thingy. 

I know I previously had it wrong as the steering wheel was turned quite far right when I was driving straight (and yes it triggered the slip angle/TCS lights over 20mph) .

Cheers for any help!

&

Doh

20190710_233836.jpg

Hmm, think I may have worked it out now.

Ensure wheels are pointed straight (can centre the steering rack by figuring out lock to lock and half it first if needs be).

Centre steering wheel, secure it so it won't turn.

Pop u-joint/yoke thing on the upper steering rod first, slide it upwards and then get the lower section on the other splined part. I imagine the centre split on the lower u-joint lines up with that sticking out notch thing (above the right pipe).

Sling everything back together and hopefully the car steers straight now.

:headhurt: