Drone Police

coldel

2 hours ago, coldel said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/drone-set-to-be-used-by-police-to-catch-dangerous-and-speeding-drivers-in-capital-a4184531.html

Shame they cannot use them to catch hoodies with knives stabbing people - but suspect it is because there's no financial incentive for such a thing.

Its been a while since I drove in London but last time I did , I am pretty sure you cant speed anywhere because of the traffic anyway?:lol:

I wouldn't read too much into these press releases its more to highlight the fact drones are being used for something new. Of course there is likely to be ban on drones in built up places so how will that work? :bangin::p

40 minutes ago, wvSTUwv said:

I actually turned up to a recovery job for an uninsured car quite recently in Bolton or Wigan. When I arrived the police on scene said that they were a drone squad

Drone squad? Sounds like a cheesy 1970s tv sitcom! :lol:

Wonder if all these impending drones will have traffic jams in the air. Amazon keep going on about using them for deliveries. Will they have smart cameras to check if you are in , press the bell and fly off quickly leaving you with a missed delivery note?

20 hours ago, stanski said:

Its been a while since I drove in London but last time I did , I am pretty sure you cant speed anywhere because of the traffic anyway?:lol:

I wouldn't read too much into these press releases its more to highlight the fact drones are being used for something new. Of course there is likely to be ban on drones in built up places so how will that work? :bangin::p

Police can override those rules im sure..

What is it that makes the Police hypocrites and that you disagree with? In relation to the comments about drones, there are strict regulations about flying drones in built up areas and yes the police have some exemptions. However, this does not make them hypocrites. For a start not any police officer can fly drones, those that can will have undergone Civil Aviation Authority approved training. Training, usually for commercial operators, is also available to the public that will allow them to fly drones over built up areas. Secondly, the drones the police use aren't you £100 cheap Chinese made jobs bought off eBay. From memory they have to have a minimum of 6 motors/rotors so that it will still fly if one or more fail.

Comments like 'A whole lot of resources on traffic and not much on hit and runs, petty crime and robbery. Sad state of affairs when they close your case' are bullshit. One, as usual the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. People moan about the poor standard of driving these days and the lack of traffic officers dealing with it yet when a force put on a traffic op targeting driving offences they get slammed for not dealing with 'real crime'. And secondly you'll find the reverse situation is the case. The Met have huge task forces that focus on specific offences like moped crime, knife crime, sexual offences, gang crime and a whole host of other areas. This will likely be a small team of around half a dozen officers if that from a force that employs 30 000+ officers.

Lastly, one to think about. Are the resources better used elsewhere? London is a bit of a microcosm but elsewhere in the country road traffic collisions account for far more deaths and serious injuries than knife crime. Yet as above, when police target driving offences people can't moan quick enough that they should be tackling real crime. Most stabbings are drug supply/drug debt or domestic related. As an ordinary law abiding member of public pretty much anywhere in England you are far more likely to be involved in a road traffic collision than you are to be a victim of a serious offence such as a stabbing by a stranger. But you won't read that in the press because RTCs don't make as sexy headlines in the papers.

• Like 1