New member and looking for first 350Z

Hi 
I am new to the RWD cars and also sports cars  with more than 150 HP . I am looking for 350Z and watching a lot of YouTube movies with advises and common problems with used 350Z. Atm I have boring  daily car (ford focus 2009) and want to give it to my girlfriend and buy 350Z for my new daily car. 
I can see that before 2006 production year tax will be cheaper and also one specific engine model is not taking oil (I have read this info somewhere at forum) . A lot of 350Z from Ebay are cheap and now I am not sure if 3000£-5000£ is normal price or will have many problems with the car due to low price. 
Just want to avoid situation when after purchase I will start reaching  into my pocket every month because serious problems.  I do not think they will let me do test drive etc due to power of this car and risk of car crash . 
Can you advice me or maybe point to links from this forum about buying first 350Z and how to check it before buying. I assume that buying from private seller is not giving me 3 months warranty like from car dealer? 

Thank you for any advice and help. 

11 hours ago, Sergei Dragunov said:

Hi 
I am new to the RWD cars and also sports cars  with more than 150 HP . I am looking for 350Z and watching a lot of YouTube movies with advises and common problems with used 350Z. Atm I have boring  daily car (ford focus 2009) and want to give it to my girlfriend and buy 350Z for my new daily car. 
I can see that before 2006 production year tax will be cheaper and also one specific engine model is not taking oil (I have read this info somewhere at forum) . A lot of 350Z from Ebay are cheap and now I am not sure if 3000£-5000£ is normal price or will have many problems with the car due to low price. 
Just want to avoid situation when after purchase I will start reaching  into my pocket every month because serious problems.  I do not think they will let me do test drive etc due to power of this car and risk of car crash . 
Can you advice me or maybe point to links from this forum about buying first 350Z and how to check it before buying. I assume that buying from private seller is not giving me 3 months warranty like from car dealer? 

Thank you for any advice and help. 

Hello, welcome to the forum

Where are you located?

Plenty of info on  this forum, have a browse :) 

4 hours ago, fijifixit said:

Hello, welcome to the forum

Where are you located?

Plenty of info on  this forum, have a browse :) 

Hi

I am from West Yorkshire atm. 

I know about forum but I am just thinking how to check the car when I can not test drive it . I bought my ford focus from car dealer and forced them to fix my 1st gear and brake pads due to 3 months warranty  for free but a lot of paper work and phonecalls to make. 

With 350z I do not think car will be in mint condition so just thinking what will be better to buy from? Private person or car dealer ?  

2 minutes ago, Sergei Dragunov said:

Hi

I am from West Yorkshire atm. 

I know about forum but I am just thinking how to check the car when I can not test drive it . I bought my ford focus from car dealer and forced them to fix my 1st gear and brake pads due to 3 months warranty  for free but a lot of paper work and phonecalls to make. 

With 350z I do not think car will be in mint condition so just thinking what will be better to buy from? Private person or car dealer ?  

I am also from West Yorkshire, I could give you some tips if you are close by to me? I am from the Leeds/Bradford area

How about you stretch the budget and go for a 370Z from a forum member, who's got all the receipts and paperwork and done all the awkward jobs you need to do before you can fully enjoy your new pride and joy? 

Better yet its got the least number of miles on the clock for any modded 370z around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Sergei

I was in the same boat, new to RWD and definitely the most BHP in a car I have ever had.

I decided to go for the early version GT due to the lower tax and pretty trouble free reviews.

Ended up paying just under 4K through ebay for one with 120K on the clock, full service history, exhaust, intake and plenum chamber mods.  New brakes, new belts, oil still looks good after 5000 miles.

little bit of rust wheel arch wise but solid underneath and engine runs very well.

you just need to take the time to look around, suss out the seller, you can usually tell if you can trust someone. I looked at a few absolute dogs for 4500 - 5000K. 

I ended up travelling to Barnsley from South Wales so don't limit yourself distance wise. worst case scenario is you waste a day and a train fare!

Hi chap.

Same here, bought my Zed in January and traveled 180miles to look at it. Any garage that wouldn't let you test drive even with lack of RWD experience I wouldn't even consider buying from.

My 2 previous cars had 100bhp & 40bhp-ish. (The slower one was RWD with selectable 4WD so I had great fun in the snow!)

Don't be worried about taking it out for a good test, it'll only bite you if you do something stupid. At the end of the day it has 4 wheels an engine and brakes just like every other car.

Good luck with the hunt

Sam

11 hours ago, Heardy said:

Hi Sergei

I was in the same boat, new to RWD and definitely the most BHP in a car I have ever had.

I decided to go for the early version GT due to the lower tax and pretty trouble free reviews.

Ended up paying just under 4K through ebay for one with 120K on the clock, full service history, exhaust, intake and plenum chamber mods.  New brakes, new belts, oil still looks good after 5000 miles.

little bit of rust wheel arch wise but solid underneath and engine runs very well.

you just need to take the time to look around, suss out the seller, you can usually tell if you can trust someone. I looked at a few absolute dogs for 4500 - 5000K. 

I ended up travelling to Barnsley from South Wales so don't limit yourself distance wise. worst case scenario is you waste a day and a train fare!

Thank you for advice. Atm I am between 350Z and audi TT mk2 but prefer 350Z.  I do not have problem with older car because  I am do not like cars with many touchscreens, electronic toys and houndret buttons and switches. I am after few hours of yt movies about used 350Z and aee rust can be a problem when buying a car. Also oil pressure and fleewheel can be a expensive problem.  I will be just looking for good car with service history. 

Thanks again 

11 hours ago, AntelopeSam said:

Hi chap.

Same here, bought my Zed in January and traveled 180miles to look at it. Any garage that wouldn't let you test drive even with lack of RWD experience I wouldn't even consider buying from.

My 2 previous cars had 100bhp & 40bhp-ish. (The slower one was RWD with selectable 4WD so I had great fun in the snow!)

Don't be worried about taking it out for a good test, it'll only bite you if you do something stupid. At the end of the day it has 4 wheels an engine and brakes just like every other car.

Good luck with the hunt

Sam

Test drive is important for me so I can be sure about it. I prefer to pay for check the car in  near garage and then decide about buying it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/07/2019 at 14:33, Sergei Dragunov said:

I am from Bingley so will be great to have chance to see your car and have few tips before looking one for me. 

my brother managed to get a lifetime garaged 37,000 mile 2004 350z from Glasgow from a elder guy who owned a few cars including 911.

For around £5600. You may have to travel and be patient to find a clean example.

Right now a similar car and similar year will set you £7000-£8000 pounds. But its more about who owns it and whats been done to it. Condition over mileage. Fewer owners the better

Average price being £6000. But which version are you looking for DE, DE Revup or HR? 

Edited by GranTurismoEra