Snapped Bleed Nipples Brembo Calipers.....

calumrobertmacdonald

Hi folks,

Just had my brake lines changed and system bled by the local garage however they have informed me that on bleeding the system they have snapped the nipple on one of my rear calipers, quite a common issue i believe? They have informed me that the brakes are working as normal and new fluid is in however issues will arise should the system need bled again.

I was looking for some advice on what my options are, can these be refurbished and does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers.

Rear Caliper.JPG

Not sure I agree. It’s an old car, and it’s a common issue, so I don’t think the garage should really be picking up the tab on this one. Stuff happens when you’re working on older cars, and as long as it wasn’t negligent then you just have to go with it and suck it up yourself. 

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all of your replies much appreciated, I thought it would need replaced. I shall need to wait until my bank funds are a little more healthy before sorting it out just trying to get it through it's MOT as the moment.......Failed on the emissions lambda reading.....

The brakes have been bled with new fluid so should be ok for the time being. ZMANALEX i will give you a shout when i'm in a better financial position!

I would have to agree with Ekona, I trust the garage wouldn't do anything malicious and bearing in mind it's a 15yr old car now so S**t will happen.

Cheers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, calumrobertmacdonald said:

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all of your replies much appreciated, I thought it would need replaced. I shall need to wait until my bank funds are a little more healthy before sorting it out just trying to get it through it's MOT as the moment.......Failed on the emissions lambda reading.....

The brakes have been bled with new fluid so should be ok for the time being. ZMANALEX i will give you a shout when i'm in a better financial position!

I would have to agree with Ekona, I trust the garage wouldn't do anything malicious and bearing in mind it's a 15yr old car now so S**t will happen.

Cheers.

Found this on a old thread good luck hope it is some useful to you

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

Not sure I agree. It’s an old car, and it’s a common issue, so I don’t think the garage should really be picking up the tab on this one. Stuff happens when you’re working on older cars, and as long as it wasn’t negligent then you just have to go with it and suck it up yourself. 

Ah, but in this case, how did they bleed that corner if they snapped it off undoing it? They said new fluid was in. So they either snapped it off over tightening it afterwards, or haven't bled that whole corner of the car, so it has old fluid in still.

Garages usually know things like this might happen, and take appropriate measures. Plusgas, heat, proper fitting spanner and a gently gently approach. I know I was very careful doing mine! Im guessing they were a bit heavy handed and trying to do the job as quickly as possible.

You can use a sharp pointed dot punch and a hammer to undo it if you have time/patience, but the easiest way would be to swap the caliper out. TBH I wouldnt bother and I would wait until you need to change the brake fluid the next time.

• Like 2