Neighbour

ShortPaul

Looking for some advice, we live in a first floor flat, it seems like evertime I open the front door, the bloody neighbour appears and wants to have a conversation and it's usually about himself or how @*!# his life is, if I go to my garage that is at the end of the garden he wants to then start chatting about the zed, I don't want to come across as the unsociable type, don't mind hello and goodbye, and the occasional how are you, but at the end of the day I think he is total Bell! What would be the best way of saying (do one) with out making things difficult for my partner or myself 

Cheers Paul 

• Haha 2

Put up with it is the option for an easy life.

You could try:

- invading his personal space when you chat

- not showering

- burping and/or farting around him

- go nuclear and ask if he fancies a bum?

Obviously the risk on the last one is he says yes.

• Haha 8

45 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Looking for some advice, we live in a first floor flat, it seems like evertime I open the front door, the bloody neighbour appears and wants to have a conversation and it's usually about himself or how @*!# his life is, if I go to my garage that is at the end of the garden he wants to then start chatting about the zed, I don't want to come across as the unsociable type, don't mind hello and goodbye, and the occasional how are you, but at the end of the day I think he is total Bell! What would be the best way of saying (do one) with out making things difficult for my partner or myself 

Cheers Paul 

Perhaps the poor chap is lonely. Give him a break : )

• Like 1

Only give him 1 word response to all his questions and silent treatment. He'll soon realise you and your partner is not up for a chat, he'll get bored and will find someone else for a chat.

12 minutes ago, coldel said:

Point at your ears whilst shouting at the top of your voice 'I have had an accident and temporarily cannot hear a thing'

I like that one will have to notify my partner before I go down that road, becouse she might say to him what accident then I will look like bit of a ****, cheers mate :teeth:

1 hour ago, Umster said:

Ask to borrow something every day. He'll soon want to stop talking if you're constantly trying to borrow something. 

Either that or he'll use it as an excuse to come over. 

That would be my only fear 

7 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Put up with it is the option for an easy life.

You could try:

- invading his personal space when you chat

- not showering

- burping and/or farting around him

- go nuclear and ask if he fancies a bum?

Obviously the risk on the last one is he says yes.

Cheers mate that made me laugh 

• Like 1

I'm with Marzman.

Bluetooth headset or wired one 

Call a friend or family as you leave your door.

Say hello to the neighbour and say "sorry, got a call"

Jobs a goodun :thumbs:

I've even had my brother ring me at pre arranged times in such cases :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a tough 1, as he might just see you as a good friend and not just as a neighbour. The sensible thing to do would keep your answers short and play on the fact you don't have time to chat for long. try to be nice to them just not engage them so much, i am sure they will understand. I have to be honest I am glad some of my neighbours don't talk to me or should I say i won't talk to them! I wouldn't even put them out if they were on fire, not even with a shovel!! :lol:

• Haha 1

classic "flanders". I have one of those. But to be fair hes a decent guy. He tyried to catch me when I bought the Zs. Always ccoming out. It took him 2 months to catch meon the 370z lool

Best response so far was probably get on the blower pretend youre taking important calls lol

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

Grin and bear it. Longer term do what I’m in the process of doing - find a house with no neighbours at all.  Seriously though, you could a lot worse than a neighbour who gabbles on too much. Anything you say to put him off is likely to offend and could make it more unpleasant in the long run.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I like the phone idea, having a conversation (either genuine or otherwise) that makes it clear you won't be listening to him....

Could go a little more extreme and do as the F1 drivers do by wearing headphones that chatting is not wanted :teeth:

Or move.  A bit drastic although then you could be jumping out of the proverbial frying pan.....:scare:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ebized said:

Could go a little more extreme and do as the F1 drivers do by wearing headphones that chatting is not wanted :teeth:

I mean if you're going down that route, at least do it properly a wear a full face crash helmet (complete with Hans device, obviously) every time you leave the house. :lol:

Or just go everywhere dressed as the Stig from now on.  :D

I have nothing sensible to add to this thread forum.

• Haha 1