Selling advice

Jamesc_1729

Hi - I’ve listed my 350z on a major website, but had little interest. This isn’t intended to be an advert in disguise I am genuinely after some advice...

My car has wanted for nothing (5k of receipts) and as such it’s mechanically a1, however it does use oil and my character would not allow me to hide that from a buyer so I’ve mentioned it in the advert. (600ml per 1000miles). I’ve priced the car accordingly too. 

The reason for my post is to ask whether this will likely be a show stopper in most people’s eyes and/or should I list it as spares/repairs instead.? I have friends with Audi’s/Vws which use the same amount so I am quite sanguine about it personally but had zero enquiries in 3 days. 

Being perfectly candid I think that you have created a rod for your own back by highlighting your oil consumption.

You are actually getting 1666 miles per 1 lt. of oil which is above what Nissan recommends as being acceptable. (depending on the model, year and mileage)

Highlighting the oil consumption numbers in your advert will definitely have an adverse effect on you getting the car sold.

I would rewrite your add accordingly, however, if any potential buyer asks the question regarding oil consumption, then be open and tell them the miles per litre.

Yup be honest I always am , best way. People know what they are getting and no funny business.

Have you got it advertised on carandclassic too? Its free and response is pretty swift usually.

Nice pictures help ideally on a sunny day?

Good luck with it as Ekona says give it time, this was a super hot weekend buying cars not on everyones mind but maybe tomorrow will be?

:thumbs:

I was the same when I moved my 350Z on because it was using a litre every 1000 miles, but I traded my car for a VW for my wife so I kept schtum about the consumption. I know exactly how you feel though

Edited by ATTAK Z

Thanks for the views - I accept the point about the weather this weekend etc.

i have probably made a rod for my own back that is a fair call - but on balance I don’t want to not mention it in it the advert and then mention it in person as the buyer may have travelled a long way so probably better to be up front rather than suffer a sense of humour failure in person. 

Respect you for being upfront and honest, it's more likely going to help than hinder. You'll end up sifting out a few tyre kickers. 

Like it has been mentioned, it's only been 3 days and the hottest weekend we've had. You've also chosen a weekend of sports and car shows so you won't get attention today but you may get people like me, who saw the car at a car show and started looking not too long after. 

Make sure you've got plenty of photos and details in the ad and you'll have less enquirers but more of a serious mindset. Just note the 350z and 370z are a very particular taste, especially with the lack of turbos and the road tax rate. 

Good luck with the sale! 

It's been 3 days, thats nothing. I found selling performance cars usually takes 2-5 weeks usually. 

List it on Gumtree, accept that you get a lot of time wasters but it is free. Copy paste the ad and only allow contact via email and have a copy paste response ready to the incoming queries. 

Put on other sites like motors.co.uk and carandclassic which are also free. Same rules apply as above be prepared to deal with spammers.

ebay I have found to be pretty effective, I recently sold my Celica GT4 via Pistonheads. Autotrader is a bit of a waste of time for performance cars, I have never had a nibble from any ads on there.

• 3 weeks later...

As Alex mentioned, your oil consumption is below the normal amount stated by Nissan. Therefore it's not in any way defective, and you should have a clear conscience not mentioning it in your advert. You're making it sound like there's a problem there when there isn't one.

17 minutes ago, colesl4w said:

As Alex mentioned, your oil consumption is below the normal amount stated by Nissan. Therefore it's not in any way defective, and you should have a clear conscience not mentioning it in your advert. You're making it sound like there's a problem there when there isn't one.

Exactly this. If I didnt know it was normal then I would immediately think that the car has some sort of oil consumption problem which to me would sound EXPENSIVE REPAIR and so I would run. So I would reword your advert and take that out. Focus on its good history/receipts/well looked after.

If you really want to talk about the oil consumption make a point of it being common on a lot of that generation engine and that if your calculations are correct it actually burns less oil than nissan deem acceptable as others have said above.

I went looking for my 350Z in march 2017 and a lot of the cars I was looking at had been waiting for months to sell, some had issues and some were just in awkward places. I actually bought my car a couple of miles from hayling island and the owner who sold it to me said he had so little interest as he was pretty far from anything major and it seemed to put people off.

You can be open and honest but try not to make things sound like a big issue, if you highlight things it tends to ring alarm bells in peoples minds. You could for example put in an ad "The car idles at 700 RPM" perfectly normal but someone then asks why was that put in the ad, why is it important.

But good luck with the sale from the sounds of it someone is going to be very happy when they get their well looked after zed.