Keys for removal of Alpine CDE104BTI

Reddx

Was wondering if anyone knew what kind of key I'd need to remove an Alpine stereo from the dash and swap it with a different one (also looking for recommendation as the current one can't interface with androids it seems).

I tried my hand at googling for specifics/alpine specific keys but came up empty handed.

Is there a universal set I can buy off ebay that anyone recommends? 

Haven't given it a shot without because I'm worried I'll do more harm than good.

On 29/06/2019 at 15:43, Kryptek49 said:

You removing it from a 350z?

If so, it's probably screwed in place to the oem metal brackets behind the dash, so no cage and no keys needed

Thanks, I'll have a look this weekend perhaps! 

If you don't want to remove the dash (you don't have to if you're replacing with an aftermarket one of the same size as the current) you should be able to remove the alpine as follows:

- remove the faceplate and faceplate surround (the surround can usually just be pulled off by pushing the bottom side of it downwards or the top side of it upwards).

- on each side of the head unit there will be a small metal circular bit with an indentation in the middle. Using a screwdriver you push this either upwards or downwards (can't remember which it is but it has a spring locking it in place so will be obvious once you try to move it!).

- the stereo should now be released and you can pull it out.

Hope that helps!

Rik

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rikz2004 said:

If you don't want to remove the dash (you don't have to if you're replacing with an aftermarket one of the same size as the current) you should be able to remove the alpine as follows:

- remove the faceplate and faceplate surround (the surround can usually just be pulled off by pushing the bottom side of it downwards or the top side of it upwards).

- on each side of the head unit there will be a small metal circular bit with an indentation in the middle. Using a screwdriver you push this either upwards or downwards (can't remember which it is but it has a spring locking it in place so will be obvious once you try to move it!).

Hope that helps!

Rik

I don't think this will work.  In your average car with a double din, then yes you get removal keys which let you pull the stereo out from the front with no hassle.

One our Zeds, the fascia plate is mounted from the inside (see here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1tebxzJ7jAhVEYVAKHZgXAgkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fincartec.co.uk%2Fproduct%2FNissan-350Z-Radio-Facia-Double-Din&psig=AOvVaw3V2WCjvxjBfa345vJPPwI6&ust=1562444342673054 )

This means that there's no option to remove the faceplate surround to use the keys.

Plus no one uses a cage on these cars (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and you're meant to screw the head unit into the existing metal brackets.

33 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

I don't think this will work.  In your average car with a double din, then yes you get removal keys which let you pull the stereo out from the front with no hassle.

One our Zeds, the fascia plate is mounted from the inside (see here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1tebxzJ7jAhVEYVAKHZgXAgkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fincartec.co.uk%2Fproduct%2FNissan-350Z-Radio-Facia-Double-Din&psig=AOvVaw3V2WCjvxjBfa345vJPPwI6&ust=1562444342673054 )

This means that there's no option to remove the faceplate surround to use the keys.

Plus no one uses a cage on these cars (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and you're meant to screw the head unit into the existing metal brackets.

I installed an alpine stereo on my 350z and the method I've described above would definitely work. There may be different ways of installing the stereo so the above method might not work for everyone but worth trying before removing everything. Mines is a single din rather than a double din which could account for the difference. 

20 hours ago, Rikz2004 said:

Hope that helps!

Rik

Pics to illustrate the bits that you need to move up instead of keys! 

IMG_20190706_153801.jpg

IMG_20190706_153754.jpg

Edited by Rikz2004
Additional picture