TG Harris McGuinness Flintoff

coldel

Not sure if anyone has been watching but a good start - surprisingly good cohesion between the three, a few cringe-worthy moments but overall pretty good. The second episode of Flintoff and Harris shocking McGuinness had me literally in stitches. Loving the McLaren Ferrari reviews too - think I would prefer the Ferrari though.

I'm really enjoying it. It's about time Top Gear had a refresh and got modern. 

Looking forward to the rest of the season but you are right, there's been a few awkward moments but I'm hoping with a few new ideas they can finish walking in the shadows. 

I liked hearing Freddie talk about how his cricket career struggled when he bought his Porsche, also glad to see the casual unpolitcal grandad jokes have disappeared. 

Significantly better than I thought it might be. More chemistry between the three than on TG in the last 15 years, genuine humour without feeling forced, and I’m even enjoying the challenges. 

Albeit I've not seen last nights episode yet, but I’m looking forward to it which I’ve not done for years!

Watched the first 25 mins of last nights episode and honestly was in tears with the handling course. It was puerile stuff but for some reason entertaining. I do think McGuinness is a better on screen character than Flintoff you can tell the TV training makes a difference. Harris seems to be enjoying himself more too and is much less playing the small angry man character he has played previously.

My thoughts pretty much reflect the above too. I'm really enjoying the new series so far. When I first saw the new presenter line up, I thought "What?! Why?!" and probably tutted and shook my head. But the trio do seem to have a genuine chemistry and (Harris excluded) as they're not motoring journalists, they do genuinely appear just to be having a laugh in cars, which makes watchable telly :thumbs:

Already looking forward to the next episode. Sunday evening IS Top Gear night again :yahoo: 

• Like 2

There is an instagram post of Clarkson May Hammond sat on bikes in some Asian city, I saw it and honestly thought they looked old and past it still trying to do something they were doing 20 years ago. It looked a bit sad really.

• Like 1

Haven’t seen this weeks but saw most of last weeks. I do agree that the three of them work well together and it’s not nearly as forced as the last few years but it’s still the same scripted nonsense as the last decade, fresh faces of not. It needs a dramatic change in formula... or at least some new writers with a new idea would be nice.

That said, I wasn’t expecting much from the lineup when it was announced so that’s actually been a pleasant surprise that they’ve turned out to be quite good actually.

1 hour ago, coldel said:

There is an instagram post of Clarkson May Hammond sat on bikes in some Asian city, I saw it and honestly thought they looked old and past it still trying to do something they were doing 20 years ago. It looked a bit sad really.

I guess that if they can still get away with it and get paid an obscene amount for doing so, then why not?

Clarkson has been looking past it for the last 10 years or more. I am actually surprised that he is still well enough to do it - looks like he is about to die on some of their recent adventures.

I forced myself through most of the last series of The Grand Tour-it was simply tired,repetitive and 100% predictable. Didn't expect much from TG but it has been better than expected, though it still needs a bit of a refresh. Carfection has raised the bar IMO, TG needs to step up a gear to match. TGT just needs to end!

Yes I think Clarkson et al have hit the end, they do look terrible and their humour is out of date. Additionally they seem to lack any energy, they just lumber about slowly requiring a fork lift to get them in and out of sports cars. It's quite embarrassing now. 

Just superb, cant remember enjoying any previous TGT or TG series as much as this but then Ive always been a fan of all three of the lads. 

There is clearly unscripted banter between them, and they are only two episodes in - go watch one of the early Clarkson/Hammond/May shows, they are really cringeworthy. Cant imagine how good this might get, its a hell of a start though :thumbs:

I kind of wonder if the three of them spent a few months down the pub together before filming as they really get on well. It is a great start though and if they can work some changes into the format even better. 

• Like 1

Just finished the 2nd episode tonight. Have enjoyed it and am looking forwards to next week's.

My only gripe is them playing on each others stereotypes, rough lad from Bolton (is Paddys whole act), posh short guy from the south and rich Freddy. Although it did seem to get better this episode.

I'm not watching top gear for information about cars, I can read that elsewhere if I'm so intreagued.  And I'm not too fussed on how a car drives that I'll proberbly never be able to afford. But 3 people having a muck around in/near cars or on bikes is something I enjoy wether it's TGT or TG, or even car SOS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sundays episode caused a bit of a ruckus. Accusations that the writers are glorifying bullying by having big guy manhandling little guy for cheap laughs. Have to say I find it pretty poor the writers setting FF up as a dumb oath. Lazy writing, has to be better. Otherwise a step up on previously.