Tour/camping Scottish Isles - advice needed

stanski

We have been going to Scotland for years but never gone to any of the Islands.

My other half is suggesting we go camping or at least do a bit of a tour of an island or 2, obviously not all of them we only have a week?

I heard they have superb beaches and scenery. 

Can you recommend any as a starter please? 

Ignore Skye though know it well.

Thanks

Stan

Skye is a busy island from spring to autumn.

A few years ago in my 370 GT, us and another couple did the Outer Hebrides, the whole of! :lol:.  From Vatersay to the very northern tip of Lewis.

we did it in a week no problem, there’s not great distances to be covered.

Ferry from Oban to Barra, joined by a causeway to Vatersay, then another ferry to South Uist, joined to North Uist by another causeway.  Ferry to Harris and toured Harris and Lewis, ferry back to the mainland from Stornaway to Ullapool (we had an additional night in the summer isles)

The beaches all through the Hebrides are amazing, South and North Uist are outstanding but our favourite beaches were in Harris, particularly Husinish (sp?) beach.  We didn’t camp, but it’s entirely possible.

The culinary choice is world beating, especially seafood, hotels, depending on budget, can be basic, but friendly and warm.  Get some peat smoked salmon and peat smoked scallops from the Hebridean smokehouse, get up to Husinish beach, some fizz and you’ll be in heaven.

*warning*. It’s an expensive trip :teeth:

• Thanks 1

You might want to consider Islay, beautiful beaches and the finest distilleries in all of Christendom.  Port Charlotte is a particular favourite of ours.  

The drive from Glasgow, past Loch Lomond, Rest and Be Thankfull, round to Inveraray and onward to Tarbert and then Kennacraig for the ferry is an amazing road, one of the best in the UK.

if you fancy, carry on down to Campbeltown and it gets better, just round the peninsula is Southend and Machrihanish, wildest beaches bar those in Sutherland, camping galore!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Oh, and when you come up to Hoop Hoo land, give us some notice and The McMustang McMongos will organise a run oot for ye, in yer ‘Stang B)

Haha if we go camping its the McVolkswagen Van but then as a pre-test the wee-Stang might go first.

One of my fave roads is from Dalwhinnie A889 - A86 - A87 to Skye. Used to do that in the Zed and my MX5 (roof down naturally). Stangs turn when I can. Will deffo give you notice.:thumbs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Skye is a busy island from spring to autumn.

A few years ago in my 370 GT, us and another couple did the Outer Hebrides, the whole of! :lol:.  From Vatersay to the very northern tip of Lewis.

we did it in a week no problem, there’s not great distances to be covered.

Ferry from Oban to Barra, joined by a causeway to Vatersay, then another ferry to South Uist, joined to North Uist by another causeway.  Ferry to Harris and toured Harris and Lewis, ferry back to the mainland from Stornaway to Ullapool (we had an additional night in the summer isles)

The beaches all through the Hebrides are amazing, South and North Uist are outstanding but our favourite beaches were in Harris, particularly Husinish (sp?) beach.  We didn’t camp, but it’s entirely possible.

The culinary choice is world beating, especially seafood, hotels, depending on budget, can be basic, but friendly and warm.  Get some peat smoked salmon and peat smoked scallops from the Hebridean smokehouse, get up to Husinish beach, some fizz and you’ll be in heaven.

*warning*. It’s an expensive trip :teeth:

Thanks its all great information. I will plan it (naturally with lots of petrol stations for the Stang) but its going to be the van best all rounder.

5 minutes ago, stanski said:

Haha if we go camping its the McVolkswagen Van but then as a pre-test the wee-Stang might go first.

One of my fave roads is from Dalwhinnie A889 - A86 - A87 to Skye. Used to do that in the Zed and my MX5 (roof down naturally). Stangs turn when I can. Will deffo give you notice.:thumbs:

Have done that route a few times :thumbs:.  Folks tend to head north in Skye and circumnavigate back across the bridge, the route to Armadale for the ferry to Mallaig is the fastest A road I’ve been on in my ‘Stang and once in Mallaig, the A830 is THE best road in Scotland in my humble opinion :teeth:

Defo gies a shout, we’re a wee bit bonkers but good bonkers and a very, very exclusive wee club ;)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Have done that route a few times :thumbs:.  Folks tend to head north in Skye and circumnavigate back across the bridge, the route to Armadale for the ferry to Mallaig is the fastest A road I’ve been on in my ‘Stang and once in Mallaig, the A830 is THE best road in Scotland in my humble opinion :teeth:

Defo gies a shout, we’re a wee bit bonkers but good bonkers and a very, very exclusive wee club ;)

Thanks mate will do. A830 think I have done some of it not sure I went as far to the coast. More to add on my list.

9 hours ago, The G Man said:

Isle of Gigha is another, small, but beautiful little island for an overnight, short ferry ride for a few quid, it’s even got palm trees on it.  Achamore Gardens is stunning.

Thanks I am making a list. :thumbs: