Pre-facelift lights with a facelift bumper, will they fit properly?

GregZ33

Hi all,  I viewed a Cat D 350z yesterday (Front end knock where it hit an animal).  It appears to have been bought back off the insurance, with a previous owner repairing the damage himself - new headlights by the looks of it, but the damaged bumper left on the car, along with the slam panel that's slightly cracked where bumper crash bar bolts to it.  The damage doesn't put me off massively (new front bumper supplied with the car & I could source a slam panel). 

However... I've noticed that it appears to have the early headlights.  It's a 2006 model on a 56 plate, am I correct in saying that it should have the facelift projector headlights?  Therefore the previous owner that crashed it cheap'd out on fitting the more expensive & correct headlights? 

The damaged front bumper doesn't fit great/hasn't been re-fitted properly as it sits.  Do facelift bumpers fit properly with early headlights?

Hi mate and welcome, the face lift was brought out 2006 your correct he has fitted early headlights becouse is a big difference in price, as for question with the bumper there should be no issues as you can face-lift headlights on a pre-lift:teeth:

1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi mate and welcome, the face lift was brought out 2006 your correct he has fitted early headlights becouse is a big difference in price, as for question with the bumper there should be no issues as you can face-lift headlights on a pre-lift:teeth:

Hi mate!  Thanks, I'm new and old to the forum, I used to own a Z a couple of years ago. Back for another now! :D

Ah okay, I thought as much!  That's a shame - it'll stick out like a sore thumb as an accident repaired one with the wrong headlights..  That's good to know that the bumper would fit fine though.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

1 hour ago, GregZ33 said:

Hi mate!  Thanks, I'm new and old to the forum, I used to own a Z a couple of years ago. Back for another now! :D

Ah okay, I thought as much!  That's a shame - it'll stick out like a sore thumb as an accident repaired one with the wrong headlights..  That's good to know that the bumper would fit fine though.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

No worries if you :pmzmanalex: he will probably be able to supply you with face-lift headlights 

1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

No worries if you :pmzmanalex: he will probably be able to supply you with face-lift headlights 

I've actually bought parts off of him before, legendary guy! Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think this Z is cheap enough to justify the cost of swapping the headlights too, over buying a non categorized car.  I need to weigh up what to do!

3 hours ago, GregZ33 said:

I've actually bought parts off of him before, legendary guy! Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think this Z is cheap enough to justify the cost of swapping the headlights too, over buying a non categorized car.  I need to weigh up what to do!

No worries buddy I am all ways keeping my eye out for a pair at a good price but they don't very often pop up and when the do it's usually it usually 700 quid 

8 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

No worries buddy I am all ways keeping my eye out for a pair at a good price but they don't very often pop up and when the do it's usually it usually 700 quid 

I thought that may be the case! A friend wrote his facelift Z off and I remember him complaining something rotten about the price of replacement headlights haha. 

14 hours ago, Rikz2004 said:

It could also be a late registered pre facelift I guess? What engine is it? And is the interior the pre facelift or the facelift?

It's a 56, register at the end of '06 I believe.  Higher tax bracket, and I'd imagine the Rev-Up 296 engine.  The interior is facelift.  I think it just has the wrong lights fitted as they were cheaper than buying a facelift pair.  I remember in the 'old days' VW would use up the stock in the part bits on crossover year models.  I built a 1.8T Mk2 Golf a few years back, and that was a Type19 shell, with majority '90 spec parts fitted to it.  It was a 1988 model, so right on the crossover year.  I imagine this probably isn't the case with more modern cars though

2 hours ago, GregZ33 said:

It's a 56, register at the end of '06 I believe.  Higher tax bracket, and I'd imagine the Rev-Up 296 engine.  The interior is facelift.  I think it just has the wrong lights fitted as they were cheaper than buying a facelift pair.  I remember in the 'old days' VW would use up the stock in the part bits on crossover year models.  I built a 1.8T Mk2 Golf a few years back, and that was a Type19 shell, with majority '90 spec parts fitted to it.  It was a 1988 model, so right on the crossover year.  I imagine this probably isn't the case with more modern cars though

Hi buddy has your got led tail lights that could be another indicator as to being a face lift

11 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi buddy has your got led tail lights that could be another indicator as to being a face lift

Hey mate.  Yes, LED rears.  I'm sure the car is a facelift, apart from the front lights, everything is as it should be