Porsche 911 996 - Any advice??

monkeybrain1234

So been looking at changing the Z for the Maserati Granturismo within the next year. But randomly come across two Porsche 911 996 carrera 2's which I rather like the look of. Gen2. Could be an intermediate step. 

Now I have learnt all about the Maser but know nothing about the porker. Any pointers or experiences of them? 

https://www.southwestmotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-911-3-6-996-carrera-2-tiptronic-s-2dr-saltash-201901244243822

Or

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-carrera-996/996-3-6-gen-2-with-gt3-aero-manual-non-sunroof-car/9637522

Any thoughts, opioins would be appreciated, good, bad or ugly

Edited by monkeybrain1234

I would avoid that first one. Its a 996 but has 997 front end on it to make it look newer. It also looks like it was off the road for quite a long time in 2018. Very often people do the 997 conversion if the cars had an accident.

Id have a look on the 911uk forum. A lot of good knowledge on there, buyers guides, which garages to avoid etc.

I love my 911, its been a cracking car as a daily for the last 4 years. Its not really cost me any more per year than other cars I've owned. But if ultimately you want a Maserati then it makes no sense to get a 911 in the interim. Id wait.

• Like 1

Agree with what you said about front end being 997, but I do think it looks really good.  The rear end also has a different kit on it.

I am a sucker for a bodykit, and a GT3 bodykit does make it look nicer.  What 911 is yours?  Any concerns on IMS and RMS issues?

2nd one is the better car IMO - less "messed about with"and manual box - however, red leather is not well received in the Porsche community - but as @rabbitstew says, you'd probably be better off waiting for the Mazza if you've set your heart on one

• Thanks 1

2nd one, as it's a manual. The Tip 'box is awful to use. However I wouldn't be paying any more than £12K for it with that interior! If you want a 996, then get an early 3.4 as the IMS is a dual-row one and much less likely to go pop, plus less likely to suffer from bore scoring. You won't notice the reduction in power.

• Thanks 1

If I was in the market for a 996, surely you'd just look for one that's had this common issue addressed. Much like the gallery gaskets for the HR, you'd ideally look for one that's had the work done by a reputable agent and enjoy less stress. 

• Thanks 1

You can't fix the IMS. You can replace it, but it will go again at some point, or it might never go. 5-10% chance either way, which is why it's better to buy a high mileage example 120K+ as they're very unlikely to go if they haven't done already.

• Thanks 1

Please listen to @Ekona, he knows his Porsches - my view FWIW is this:

If you bought a cheap Porsche you'd want to spend money on it to make it better, so that money will not be available to go towards the Mazza. The Porsche would never be the stepping stone, it would be the car preventing you getting the car you dreamt about. And you'd hate it.

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

I would avoid that first one. Its a 996 but has 997 front end on it to make it look newer. It also looks like it was off the road for quite a long time in 2018. Very often people do the 997 conversion if the cars had an accident.

Id have a look on the 911uk forum. A lot of good knowledge on there, buyers guides, which garages to avoid etc.

I love my 911, its been a cracking car as a daily for the last 4 years. Its not really cost me any more per year than other cars I've owned. But if ultimately you want a Maserati then it makes no sense to get a 911 in the interim. Id wait.

Really good advice. Didn't notice the 6 month break in mot. From speaking to the owner it's a legit car. He has 4 cars and doesnt drive this enough any longer. Full porsche servicing with a lot done to it as well as a huge options list from new. 

What 911 have you got? Totally agree with maserati statement too. 

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

2nd one, as it's a manual. The Tip 'box is awful to use. However I wouldn't be paying any more than £12K for it with that interior! If you want a 996, then get an early 3.4 as the IMS is a dual-row one and much less likely to go pop, plus less likely to suffer from bore scoring. You won't notice the reduction in power.

Cheers Dan. Not a fan of the gen 1 996 due to headlights. Also I am a sucker for a body kit. 

IMS is a risk for sure. Both have been checked for bore scoring and report shows they are both good. Question over £12k valuation, why do you feel that is a sensible price? (not questioning your knowledge just want to understand the rationale and if why it's overpriced) 

Thanks

3 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Please listen to @Ekona, he knows his Porsches - my view FWIW is this:

If you bought a cheap Porsche you'd want to spend money on it to make it better, so that money will not be available to go towards the Mazza. The Porsche would never be the stepping stone, it would be the car preventing you getting the car you dreamt about. And you'd hate it.

Can't argue with your logic. But my man maths thoughts are:

*370s are dropping in value by the month :thumbdown:

*350s as a result are also dropping :headhurt:

*Maserati GT I can get into a good 4.2 end of this year but would like a good 4.7 which budget/deprecation would mean 2 years time. :yahoo:

*996 is unlikely to loose much value over 2 years (if any) :drive1

*Would be able scratch the 911 itch for a couple of years then get Maser :bangin:

Amazing how man Maths works :clap:

• Like 1

I hate to be that guy but a 996 is a better car than the Nissans too - better built, better to drive, better engineered. 
They have reached the bottom of their depreciation curve as well, not sure thats the case with the Maz :)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Personally when buying cars, stick to the owner forums, and from someone that has a decent reputation and has participated.

Also look at where it's being serviced (if possible), some shady pork mechanics out there !

Great advice, just looked on 911uk forum and some cracking cars for sale.  Although none with the aero bodykit that I quite like but still a good starting point. 

As an example

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=9032

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 00:31, monkeybrain1234 said:

Really good advice. Didn't notice the 6 month break in mot. From speaking to the owner it's a legit car. He has 4 cars and doesnt drive this enough any longer. Full porsche servicing with a lot done to it as well as a huge options list from new. 

What 911 have you got? Totally agree with maserati statement too. 

I have a 997.1 Turbo, manual. Had it over 3 years now and done 40,000 miles or more in it as a daily. I use it all year round and it lives on the drive. Its surprisingly practical! I have 2 kids seats in the back for when I do the school run, and when the kids have sleep overs at the in-laws I can fit all their going away toys/suitcases/bedding etc in the frunk & passenger foot well. Can get a fortnights tesco shop in the frunk also.

I bought it from a highly respected indi and never bothered with any warranty. First 2 years it cost me about £250 each year in parts. (oil & water temp sensors and tire pressure monitors). Year 3 cost about £1600 if I remember correctly (clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder and accumulator). So cheap motoring. However, last November I had the car completely checked over as part of some performance upgrades I was having done and had anything which was showing signs of worn replaced to future proof it. Stuff like coolant cross over pipes, brake discs/pads, suspension top mounts etc. etc. Whilst not urgently needing doing, it made economic sense to do these whilst they had the engine out. The cars now approaching 110,000 miles and drives like new. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks Rabbitstew.  That's what I have seen they are generally reasonable cars to maintain and look after.  911's also have quite a following for future residuals, not that I expect to make money out of it, but at the same time wouldn't want to loose loads either.

Having had a few days to mull over my decision I think I will stick with the Z for a while, then get the Maser 4.7 version in time.  (They are certainly still coming down in value bit by bit).  Still love the Z so wont feel sad about this. :fool:  One day I will get a V8 :thumbs: 

Thanks for all advice chaps :clap:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeybrain1234 said:

Thanks Rabbitstew.  That's what I have seen they are generally reasonable cars to maintain and look after.  911's also have quite a following for future residuals, not that I expect to make money out of it, but at the same time wouldn't want to loose loads either.

Having had a few days to mull over my decision I think I will stick with the Z for a while, then get the Maser 4.7 version in time.  (They are certainly still coming down in value bit by bit).  Still love the Z so wont feel sad about this. :fool:  One day I will get a V8 :thumbs: 

Thanks for all advice chaps :clap:

If I was a "normal" 911 owner and only used the car at weekends, Im pretty sure if I sold the car today with "normal" mileage I would have had 3 years of free motoring. Compared to the £3k a year I lost in depreciation on the cars I had previous, thats pretty good going.

I think your doing the right thing, especially as you still have the love for the Z.  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1