Maserati Gran Turismo

Minid

Looking at this car. Great looks and decent power with seats for kids. Have TVR griff at the moment which is in great condition and pre cat burble is the best. Is depreciation high on these? They have very good reviews for reliability, but quite large cars. 

That was going to be the car I wanted (been waiting 10 years!).

Look at my mid life crisis thread!

They look fab, they sound fab, they go like stink and yes proper 4 adult seats but in the end, I got a Ford Mustang and no regrets. Rear seat for my daughter plenty of space.

The Masser has ended production now , the interior is looking very dated especially the earlier models.

They hold their value but eat brakes, suspension springs, clutches for the MC versions, tyres every year and everything will cost a fortune even usual services items.

Even if you use an Indie its still going to take all your wages. I know the Mustang isnt exactly a cheap runner (mines the 5 litre) but £145 roadtax , servicing is supposed to be in the £200-300 mark rather than the £1100 for the Masser.

Go and drive one but as much as I really wanted to own one , I am so glad I didn't. You cant get anything for them from say Euro Carparts not even wiper blades for goodness sakes, its all bespoke stuff. 

Sorry to put a dampener on it, I had justified everything in my mind but long term I said no its just too high maintenance. Still think they look the dogs though.

Stan

Thanks Stan, I do know that spare parts are really expensive say against my griff which is dirt cheap. Seems lovely room for kids and exotic as well. Can imagine great euro trips. Tried the e46 bmw 330ci and m3, but looks not for me. Hard to find a 4 seater sport exotica

28 minutes ago, Minid said:

Thanks Stan, I do know that spare parts are really expensive say against my griff which is dirt cheap. Seems lovely room for kids and exotic as well. Can imagine great euro trips. Tried the e46 bmw 330ci and m3, but looks not for me. Hard to find a 4 seater sport exotica

All the German stuff if great but there is so much of it on the roads you just dont notice anymore.

I still look at GTs when I see one but its £35k for a decent one thats not been chaved up or 80000 miles on the clock and 15 owners. But they are about 8 years old at that price. Go for the automatic which seem to go the distance.

But you need to get full 4 wheel tracking every year and its £250 per corner on tyres. I think even the oil filter is £80!!!

Honestly try a Mustang, yes its not a BMW but its just so much fun. Even a trip to the shops is an event. Great GT car and family friendly.

Either way good luck with your search. The new Alfieri is the car to wait for see how that works out.

Was gonna say you might be repairing it a lot but hey... you have a TVR..you'll be fine! ;):lol:  Lovely big barges, depending on what one, there not the fastest and they do 'eat' a lot of parts due to their weight but if you can run it, it is a nice looking GT car, will fit some people in the back and will make one hell of a noise... even if your doing 25mph lol. Good luck with the search! :thumbs: 

Similar boat to you @Minid been lusting after one of these for a couple of years. With a growing family the seats in the Z have limited use on weekends. Maser GT four seats, large boot, a musical V8, what's not to like, and very good value now.

Done a lot of research on them and don't be put off by the doom goblins. They really are good cars. Yes they would cost more to service than a Z or Ford but its an exotic car which was £70k+ so its all relative. As with most cars get one with a full history and work regularly done to it. Avoid skyhook from what I read too as the ride can be crashy and if possible opt for the 4.7 version. Interiors are lovely and still look great (except stereo} 

Personally I think the values will fall some more, but not crazy amounts.

Follow your heart, but keep your brain switched on. 

(having said above - this weekend randomly came across a 996 that has got me thinking) :surrender:

Edited by monkeybrain1234
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Minid said:

Hi Stan, what model mustang do you have, may starting looking. Yes the Italian exotica service and parts is scary compared to tvr and 350z running costs 

I got the run out mk1 Shadow edition 5.0 litre, basically loaded with all the toys and since they were under £40k new (mines a year old ) you only pay £145 roadtax. The first owner would have paid the £2k tax! Mad I know.

IMG_20190526_200530933_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, monkeybrain1234 said:

Similar boat to you @Minid been lusting after one of these for a couple of years. With a growing family the seats in the Z have limited use on weekends. Maser GT four seats, large boot, a musical V8, what's not to like, and very good value now.

Done a lot of research on them and don't be put off by the doom goblins. They really are good cars. Yes they would cost more to service than a Z or Ford but its an exotic car which was £70k+ so its all relative. As with most cars get one with a full history and work regularly done to it. Avoid skyhook from what I read too as the ride can be crashy and if possible opt for the 4.7 version. Interiors are lovely and still look great (except stereo} 

Personally I think the values will fall some more, but not crazy amounts.

Follow your heart, but keep your brain switched on. 

(having said above - this weekend randomly came across a 996 that has got me thinking) :surrender:

I agree with you they have a good rep on reliability but still exotic expensive new, might be cheap to buy second hand but its still expensive car with expensive parts to run daily. If you can afford it go for it. I still love the way the look but glad I didnt get one now.

2 hours ago, Minid said:

OK thanks guys will look at both 

Also consider BMW M2 my wife has one. Surprisingly good as a practical family car. Decent seats in back and largish boot and goes like poop off a shovel.