Stability issue on new tyres

leebottrill

Last week i had new tyres on the rear. I normally get MPSS or MPS4. This time i went with the P Zero. The fronts are getting worn, but they have a bit of lift left!

Since the tyre change my car has felt very unstable. Any driving over 50mph the car is feeling like its fishtailing. At motorway speeds it feels almost like its being caught in high winds. Cornering feel is also not great. 

I went back to the tyre shop and they checked the pressures, balancing and did a 4 wheel alignment. The rears were slightly out. Unfortunately the car is still feeling like crap. They said it could be due to have new on the rear and warn on the fronts. 

Potentially suspension problem? If so why has this happened when I've changed tyres?

Any help would be great.

Have you got different tread patterns front to rear? When i bought my Z it had Toyo Proxy on the front and Goodyear Eagle F1s on the back and was all over the place.

You need the same tyre front to back ideally.

On most cars at road speed you wouldn't notice but for me it really was night and day on the Z.

I'm sure someone technically minded can explain why.

Are you able to get P zero for the rear too and sell yours as part worn?

I went with the Pzeros as the tyre place said they are a really good tyre fitted to a lot of high performance cars. They were £80 cheaper than the MPS4's and i though i'd give them a go.  Dam! 

I dont want to put Pzeros on the front now and i dont want to waste £250 replacing the rears with mps4's. I guess ill have to replace the rears when the fronts are ready to be done with mps4's all round again!

Go back to the garage and tell them that they gave you bad advice and ask them to take the tyres off and replace with what works for you.

Obviously, you will offer to pay the difference.

Best to do all 4 at the one time, especially if the fronts are more than 75% worn.

They have offered to send the tyres back to Pirelli but said it’ll take months and they’ll only refund if there is a problem. 

I think they are good tyres and the guy said that it’s rare to have issues with mixing front and back brands. Maybe the zed is a bit more sensitive. 

I won’t get anything for my second hand tyres now. :( 

I've only ever spun one car and it had P Zero's on. When I bought my Zed it had Michelin on the front and Nexen on the rear, never once had an issue on road or track. 

Stick your rears on eBay

Edited by davey_83

P zeros are shite unfortunately and I am not surprised with your issues. I would never put this tyre on my 350z and I'm pretty sure your issues are down to these tyres being rubbish. I have different tyres on the rear vs the front, and the only time I notice is when I really push in the rain and/or try to get the back end out. In normal driving (even a bit fast) it is completely unnoticeable and never had any issues where the car felt unsafe to drive.

Put this down to a lesson learnt and check tyre reviews or ask for advice rather than taking recommendations from someone who is trying to sell you something in the future. You can't put a price on your safety and in all honesty even if you lose £100 - 150 on the sale of the tyres, it is a small price to pay even compared to a small car accident with no injury.

I agree. They’re are going to do a me a good deal on the mps4’s now and I haven’t paid for the wheel alinement.  I hope I can sell the tyres as I don’t want them kicking about forever more. I also have an mpss in my garage I need to sell. 

Im really shocked how @*!# my car is driving. It’s actually unsafe.

LESSON LEARNED  

Totally agree. My 997 turbo came with a brand new set of P-Zeros on it. They lasted 14,000 miles and the car handled shockingly with them. I swapped them out for MPS4S`s and the difference was staggering. Night & Day. I could now "feel" the road and the grip is unreal. To top it up, I've done over twice the mileage the P-Zero`s lasted and they still have loads of tread left on them. :thumbs:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rabbitstew said:

Totally agree. My 997 turbo came with a brand new set of P-Zeros on it. They lasted 14,000 miles and the car handled shockingly with them. I swapped them out for MPS4S`s and the difference was staggering. Night & Day. I could now "feel" the road and the grip is unreal. To top it up, I've done over twice the mileage the P-Zero`s lasted and they still have loads of tread left on them. :thumbs:

Inclined to agree that P-Zeros do not give the same confidence, particularly in the wet, as I found with the MPSS on the 370 and also on the A45 - but to be fair, the 4-wheel drive of the '45 made wet days seem dry - ridiculous grip levels even on launches! 

The P-Zeros on the Cayman have done just over 10k miles and starting to think about new tyres before the year is out but the bugbear is that the Michelins are not 'N' rated that Porsche specify so as not to affect the warranty, but I really would like to use the MP4s so in two minds about what to do come tyre change time.

No way would I mix tyres on any car though, unless I wanted to slide about everywhere but old and wise enough to have grown out of that need now :lol:

40 minutes ago, Ebized said:

to be fair, the 4-wheel drive of the '45 made wet days seem dry - ridiculous grip levels even on launches! 

The P-Zeros on the Cayman have done just over 10k miles and starting to think about new tyres before the year is out but the bugbear is that the Michelins are not 'N' rated that Porsche specify so as not to affect the warranty, but I really would like to use the MP4s so in two minds about what to do come tyre change time.

The wet day seem dry comment is spot on, the cornering grip in the wet is just staggering. Im sure I read some sizes of the MPS4S were getting N rating finally so it might be worth checking on that. I didnt bother with a warranty on mine so no such worries. :thumbs: