Loose battery terminals

Kryptek49

I replaced my battery not to long ago with a Varta D47, and now the positive terminal doesn't seem to fit properly.  It used to be fully seated, but now the top part of the clamp is not even on the terminal.

I've tried expanding the clamp with a set of pliers, and tapping it on gently with a rubber mallet but none of this helps.

On Tayna's website it shows the D47 terminals are standard fitment - has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I just be more forceful to get it to seat correctly?

IMG_20190405_175205.jpg.843b0104e03d35ec58161812eabb823b.jpg

Thanks

Strangely enough I have the same weird problem occur on my negative terminal! 

I just reseated it, and put my thumb on the back of the bolt the nut is tightening against. And just tighten it up gently with a proper 6 point fitting spanner. Seemed to have helped for now. 

I had the same issue a few years back after Kwik Fit replaced my battery under warranty via the supplying garage. The negative terminal would work loose and the car would randomly loose power. I replaced the nut and bolt on the lead and it's allowed for a touch more clamping force which has been fine ever since.

9 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I had the same issue a few years back after Kwik Fit replaced my battery under warranty via the supplying garage. The negative terminal would work loose and the car would randomly loose power. I replaced the nut and bolt on the lead and it's allowed for a touch more clamping force which has been fine ever since.

Weird - my negative battery terminal was also loose! Every time i clamped it down it would just slide right off.  Turns out there was some oil on the connection which wouldn't allow it to grip correctly, I've cleaned it all up and it seems to be fine now, but I'm still not happy with either to be honest.  I'll try a new bolt later

10 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Strangely enough I have the same weird problem occur on my negative terminal! 

I just reseated it, and put my thumb on the back of the bolt the nut is tightening against. And just tighten it up gently with a proper 6 point fitting spanner. Seemed to have helped for now. 

I'll give this a go, the main issue is just getting it seated in the first place though! I've even tried a new gold plated battery terminal I had lying around, and that didn't fit properly either.

On 13/06/2019 at 08:50, ZMANALEX said:

Just open the clamp up slightly and it will drop to the bottom of the terminal.

Thanks Alex, pretty simple really wasn't it!  Took the terminal off properly yesterday, stretched it out and it all fits perfectly now.