Any Wifi/network expert here? Did my WiFi password got hacked?

veeg33

I always project stuff on my phone to my smart TV so that my daughter can see it (holiday videos, etc). My understanding - Both my TV and phone needs to be the same Wifi connection for it to work. To connect, I just need connect to my home WiFI, select 'Wireless projection' on my phone, it will then search for my TV which is hard wired to my router. Found my TV, clicked on it and it connects within few seconds. Recently, when my phone search for my TV, my phone showed another device 'Roku TV' and my 'Samsung TV'. This prompted me to suspect my password has been hacked and this 'Roku TV' is on my WiFi. I've change my WiFi password and since this 'Roku TV' doesn't show up any more.

My questions - Will my phone search any random device when I wanted to project wirelessly? Or my suspicion is correct that my password has been hacked and some has been connecting and using my WiFi.

If he/she can do it once, i'm sure they'll do it over n over again which means i need to change my password regularly :rant:

It’ll look for any random device it can connect to. More likely your neighbour has bought a Roku recently, so don’t worry about it. 

You can check on your router what what devices have access to your WiFi, if you’re that worried you can filter by approved MAC addresses only. 

• Like 1

Do your neighbours seem the type to be hacking? You may find that your phone picked up a broadcast from a Roku TV thus showing it in the list on your phone. 

Hacking and spoofing wifi is pretty easy if you have the tools and know how ( I work in smartphone security). Best practices would be to have a complex password with the highest encryption possible in your router. depending on its capabilities you could also as Dan suggested do some MAC address filtering to only allow devices to connect if the password is known and the MAC matches. 

• Like 1

Whilst we have the Mac experts in, I wonder if @veeg33 would mind me asking an unrelated question:

My MacBook Pro keeps trying to update to macOS 10.14.5 but sticks with a dialogue box saying "Downloading new updates - 138KB of 2.59 GB". I later get another dialogue box saying "Didn't get a response from the Apple Software Update server

I recently downloaded Google Earth which brought Yahoo with it which I didn't like, so I deleted it. It appears I have done something which has compromised my automatic updates - there's an iTunes update which won't install too but I'm not bothered about that.

Any advice would be very welcome please :) 

Thanks for the advice @DoogyRev

Go to your Library folder > Preferences and find this file:
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Delete it.

(Did this)

Locate and delete the same file in your user Library folder.

(Couldn't find this file)

Restart your Mac and OS X should generate new files that point the software update service back to Apple's servers.

(Did this)

Still have the problem :( 

Nice one guys. Don't think hackers have a specific look B) they are everywhere. I did try to find list of devices connected to my router but can't seems to find where to look for it. Will try again, but since I've changed my password, the Roku TV is not appearing again when I search with my phone to mirror. Will make some changes to make it more secure. 

No problem at all @ATTAK Z

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Thanks for the advice @DoogyRev

Go to your Library folder > Preferences and find this file:
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Delete it.

(Did this)

Locate and delete the same file in your user Library folder.

(Couldn't find this file)

Restart your Mac and OS X should generate new files that point the software update service back to Apple's servers.

(Did this)

Still have the problem :( 

If you can't find anything on the inter webbage I would go speak to the Geniuses at Apple :shrug: