Events, Drives & Shows - All Members Please Read

Stutopia

Hi All

I don’t post up gripes all that often but every now and again something is mentioned to the team, by a few Members, that strikes a chord and is worthy of a mention. In the past year or so we’ve had a number of occurrences of Members organising events, drives or static meets where they’ve feedback to us that they’ve been let down by last minute cancellations, or worst still, absolute no shows. 

I know bigger things than car meets occur in our lives, which require immediate changes of plans. Some of these are not the kind of occurrences where the first thing on your mind is to message organisers to say you can’t make an event. However, in circumstances which are not urgent, but you can’t make it to an event, please do your best to get in touch with the organiser.

It’s a pretty thankless task making events happen and there’s not all that many dedicated people who are willing to devote time to it. No shows only serve to disenchant the few who do make the effort to keep us interacting the real world, as well as the virtual one. 

If anyone’s got suggestions for helping with this issue, feel free to post up, your ideas are always welcome.

Personally, I think any event that as limited numbers, or reserved spaces, should include a refundable deposit for your spot, but I know that not everyone will agree.

• Like 5

Arranging meets/events are a thankless task and does take effort/planning to not waste everyone's time. 

That last note won't have the desired effect. I like a few others have been arranging meets for years and years on this forum and previous clubs, paid or not paid you get no shows. The same goes for christmas parties, meals, drinks nights, birthdays, weddings etc 

For a total no show to a space limited meet, the next time they post interest for a space limited meet #reservelist

• Like 1

I think the thing that disappoints me as a REO is the lack of courtesy of not letting the event organiser know of their change of heart or plan. it’s just plain old English good manners to inform someone if you are not turning up for something you said you would. I organise many events as South East REO and it gives me great pleasure to do it and makes it worthwhile when I receive messages of thanks. What erks me is occasions like yesterday when I tell Ace Cafe we have 34 coming, they close the venue for our use only and we have 9 No Shows and only one person bothered to let me know. It’s annoying and very embarrassing to have to explain it as the event organiser. 

I would suggest this thread is moved to the meets section where it’s more likely to be seen.

Thanks for posting Stu.

Martin

Edited by Payco
  • Like 6

I organised a meet at a Ferrari showroom with limited spaces, had a reserve list and because it rained 8 out of 20 didn't show up. I didn't have time to contact the reserve list and I was left apologising profusely to the regional marketing manager for Ferrari who had come along on her day off to show us around. This was hugely embarrassing for me personally and for the club and we shouldn't be putting volunteers who dedicate time and effort into these things in this position.

In terms of moving this forwards I would suggest that we have a set of standard rules posted up alongside each limited number meet - copy paste something like the below on the first post:

"The meet is on a first come first serve basis, please add your name to the list. If you have 2 no show strikes against your name you can still add your name to the list but if the number of attendees goes over the maximum limit you will be put on reserve."

The list can be maintained by the mods behind the scenes and anyone on the 2 strikes list can come off it by attending a meet - appreciate that its harder as they will be more often on the reserve list but that's the penalty for twice missing meets and wasting peoples time.

• Like 5

With all due respect these blanket posts are wrong. I was one of those that "didn't turn up" but I'm afraid illness in the family overides any car show. I am sorry for not letting you know, but when the sh**te hits the fan you don't think about anything else.

1 hour ago, pagan said:

With all due respect these blanket posts are wrong. I was one of those that "didn't turn up" but I'm afraid illness in the family overides any car show. I am sorry for not letting you know, but when the sh**te hits the fan you don't think about anything else.

Please read the post by Stu properly. He clearly says where the reason for not attending is not urgent please inform the organiser. I would bet my last dollar not everyone who didn't show had a family emergency to attend, and in fact they didn't just didn't bother to show. So yes, his post is very relevant and it makes sense that persistent no-showers are deprioritised when it comes to limited number meets.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pagan said:

This isn’t a knee jerk post on the back of one event, it’s been a growing trend.

Please don’t feel it’s a pop at you. Way bigger things, relatively speaking, than meets come up in all our lives and considerations of notifying people are, quite reasonably, far from a priority at the time.

People affected by family events are not who this is aimed it. It’s a general message, and, I take your point that blanket posts are not an ideal solution, but in the absence of a better alternative, it’s what we have. 

• Like 2

I fully agree with what's been said and hats off to the guys n gals  that step up and organise (I should do more) @andy james is awesome to have in my area and does loads of event stuff we keep saying we will meet up and get something else going and he does the Breakfast meets :thumbs: 

I try and give you all something to read by tinkering in the Zed Shed :lol:

As an additional point - It will be the annual Zed Shed BBQ soon and if you put your name down and don't attend then ...........................

More food for me and @buster

:p:p

:lol::lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 11/06/2019 at 16:05, pagan said:

I’m sorry to hear you had family illness Sat and truly hope everyone is ok. What I am struggling with is you come on the forum 3 days later, post a response and yet still don’t think to PM the organiser. Only one person has bothered to contact me and apologise for not showing or letting me know.I am not looking for three cheers but just some common courtesy.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3