Rattling noise on idle and just below 1000 rpm ?

Scott370z

Hi all 

I'd like some reassurance having now owned my 370z since last November its always had this annoying rattle on idle up to around 1000 rpm . It disappears above 2000 rpm. I'm sure you had this issue many times on here , but I'd like to know what it is? Is it ok to run it like this indefinitely? Will it need repairing? Or will it be ok but just sounds annoying. I've heard many people mention various things but I'd like to see if anyone else has the same issue and what they have done to remedy it if they have done so  and to put my mind at rest etc.

Scott.

Rattles are notoriously difficult to track down but favourite culprits tend to be heat sheilds over exhausts. Although I dont remember what the Zed one is like my mazda had 2 gravel stones trapped in it! Annoying to say the least. 

Best get it on ramps at a garage and have a look underneath check for loose fittings. 

Mine last year was a very light sounding metallic rattle when reversing up the drive. It turned out to be the heatshield on the passenger side cat, there was a very small section rusted away, I just pulled the offending bit off & never heard from it again. Could also be the innards of the cat / exhaust breaking up if you're really unlucky, or something else entirely.