Acoustic cameras to catch noisy vehicles

zelda

I wonder at what point they will set the acoustic trap. I mean there are a lot of loud cars out there stock. Jack all they can do about an OEM car.

Its just a load of bollocks in my opinion, I live under a flight path half a mile from a motorway and about 2 miles from a train station. If someone cant handle "Hundreds" of bikes driving up and down the road they should probably find a desert island somewhere to sit and mope in silence.

Also ignoring the fact that "Hundreds" could mean 1 bike a day....

Funny we have a lot of tech to catch motorists, speeding not paying for parking, MOT or Tax with ANPR etc, now they consider acoustic cameras, sheesh I am waiting for the 'you are not allowed to wear green underpants on a Wednesday in the middle lane' camera and yet when it comes to scumbags stealing your car or breaking into your house they dont seem to have a big success rate for that one do they?

How come they never catch the buses belching clouds of diesel smoke out or the taxi driver doing a 360 in a 40 lane without warning? 

Sorry ranting... George Orwell was right....:surrender:

• Like 2

TL;DR - Stupid idea IMHO. Measuring will not be under same conditions it was measured at type approval. No one knows what the limit will be yet either, suspect it will only be very loud exhausts that are caught. How are they going to deal with cars not type approved or that have a different noise limit?

---

Honestly I think this is ridiculous and I doubt some of their claimed health concerns are proven to be linked to how loud the environment is, but more likely wider environmental factors instead. I've not looked into it proper but a quick google on the subject of loud environments and type 2 diabetes tuned this up.

To quote https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/symptoms/can-living-noisy-environment-increase-your-risk-diabetes/

Because of the limitations of research thus far, at least for now experts agree that traffic noise and diabetes only have an association, not a proven cause-and-effect relationship.

Anyway, I suspect if it comes into force it will only be seriously loud exhausts that are targeted. At the moment its all speculation as to what the limit will be, based on type approval limits for modern cars (74dB) and the level recorded for the vehicle when gaining its approval.

I own a 1999 GC8 Impreza imported from Japan, how are they going to deal with that? My exhaust is not typical Impreza loud, its standard except for a prodrive rear muffler but its a damn sight louder than my 350 with a full Miltek system. If they  base it on the noise level measured at type approval, well good luck to them because my car isn't type approved being a Japanese import.  Does that mean every one of these I go through is going to 'flash' me yet they cant ticket me because they have no reference level or am I subject to a different limit to everyone else?

A couple of other good points I read elsewhere:

1. When vehicles are tested for type approval there are specific conditions that have to met such as background noise, measuring device position/angle/distance, engine RPM, and probably more. These cameras wont be able to account for all of those factors.

2. Tyres. If the limit for new type approved cars is 74dB and there is an EU aim to bring this down to 68dB by 2025, most road tyres these days are rated around 69-71dB, that's already quite close to 74dB. Assuming the type approval noise measurements are done while moving then that's fine. If the nosiest thing on your car is the tyres and it was tested with tyres rated at 69dB and you fit some slightly different ones at 71dB are you getting a fine for simply maintain your car in a roadworthy condition?

Stuff like this  gets my back up. There are clearly bigger issues to deal with right now.

It's like anything roadside that's a test or measure of a vehicle, you'll then have a ticket to have it checked within X amount of days by a vat registered repairer. 

Edited by davey_83