Turtlewax hydrophobic sealant wax £5

HEADPHONES

46 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Why not just discuss it openly on the forum where others can participate?

Bulk out a thread... isn't that the point of the forum??

Serious question.

That's my offer, up to you.

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Screenshot_20190616-174239.png.8d68f93080d6758a911417bfc99bc236.png

Nice beads davey_83 for what amounts to an extra couple of mins to the drying stage and a fiver!

I still remember using TW Wax it Wet when it first came out and was instantly hooked on using such drying aid type products.

It's very rare I dry my car now without applying some product or another in a Wax it Wet kinda way.

So in this respect I suppose months and months worth of durability isn't really what I need.

• Like 1

Often like you I end up having to wash the car at night.

Being a considerate neighbour I'll not use a pressure washer at night.

I'd normally spray a shampoo mix on as a prewash then 2bm wash.

My current Sonax BSD cocktail works a treat with this and I can still see and feel the slickness when using the wash mitt and rinsing.

However if it's more dirty I'll use a stronger prewash like Powermaxed Jetwash and Wax.

This is fine with just a pressure rinse off, still leaving some good beading and slickness when using the wash mitt, but without a pressure rinse and going contact wash it'll totally strip my LSP.

So I was intrigued by this new TW and it's detergent resistance.

Like a numpty I washed the Zed on Friday and went autopilot using my old Sonax BSD cocktail instead of trying out the TW:doh:

• Haha 1

Jeezo, some antagonistic posting here, it’s just a cleaning product, not like anyone is advocating using fairy liquid (although I did use it on my Volvo 144 before the internet was invented and I was an impoverished 17 year old apprentice :lol:)

• Like 3

For £5 its worth a try. 

I used to swear by Blackfire Midnight Sun wax and it was ace but not cheap.

Now I like the Bilt Hamber stuff, tech has moved on.

As they research nano tech and know more about surface porosity etc these things eventually will be more common and cheaply produced.

I am sure like many people I have sod all time to spend hours 'detailing' my cars anymore, family, job ,life now its get something on that does a good job lasts for a while and does not cost a tank of fuel to buy. :surrender:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
24 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

It would have been a better test if either product were actually applied properly, as they were designed to be applied though.

Agreed. 

I've used WetCoat and the difference between hosepipe and jet wash application is night and day. Applying it dry is mind boggling IMO and wet application works much better with a strong jet wash - if you're going to hosepipe it off, you're better of not buying the product. 

Though for the price point I will go Meguiar's next time. Wet Coat is a PITA, apply too much and you always end up with water marks, apply too little and you'll question value for money. 

Only thing I will say is Meguiar's state for first application that it's to be applied in the way shown in the video, so for a fair side by side both products were tested in exactly the same way and the cheaper product came out on top. 

Aye its not really a fair test if both were applied in the same way but in a way that works for one, but not the other. It kind of defeats the object of the whole thing really. The only finding here is that when applied in a certain way, Megs appears to be better, and not that one is better than the other.

2 hours ago, coldel said:

Aye its not really a fair test if both were applied in the same way but in a way that works for one, but not the other. It kind of defeats the object of the whole thing really. The only finding here is that when applied in a certain way, Megs appears to be better, and not that one is better than the other.

I personally have seen no evidence that the product was hamstrung in the application shown in the video. See the post below from a member of the detailing world review team with many thousands of thanks and many pages of official forum reviews......

Screenshot_20200523-203801.png.bb12d0d83f4abe1fa4b45dcf652d71b4.png

Edited by davey_83

Meguiar's appeared to win both dry and wet applications.......

Edit Wet coat applied both dry and wet. Unless you've performed the same test and had different results, the conclusion remains the same. 

Edited by davey_83

I really need to use Turtlewax hybrid sealant more!!! Going to start using Fusso speed and see how I get on.

How was wet coat applied wrong? It was applied wet and spread over the panel! Present tested evidence that this application is detrimental to its performance. Happy to hold my hands up, however until then you are clutching at straws with your argument.

Got to take these tests with a pinch of salt because Prep work will be the difference between a product lasting for 1 week compared to 3 months. And also the conditions and contaminates of real world driving compared to just running a mitt and some shampoo over the same section over and over is worlds apart, very unrealistic. These spray on rinse off products have become very popular over the last year or so, it’s very smart marketing that caters to enthusiasts. They’ve taken two main things most people care about time & water behaviour and created a product that is super quick to apply and gives paintwork great beading which people love. My personal opinion is that it’s a bit of a gimmick and is not good value for money if applied how the manufacturer says, you use a ridiculous amount each time and it does not last. Most the time these products will smear. I’ve had a good few cars in which have had these products used on them and you can see it in patches under the studio lights. 

• Like 1