Turtlewax hydrophobic sealant wax £5

HEADPHONES

This product seems to be blowing up in the US and over here.

Using the discount codes on carparts4less it's about a fiver.

Spray 

Spread

Buff.

Jon at Forensic Detailing says it's nicer to use than Sonax BSD, almost beads as well BUT is EXTREMELY chemical resistant to shampoo, wheel cleaners and fallout removers.

A true game changer FOR. PEANUTS

Watch this guy hit it with detergents and fallout.

Even the toughest chemicals just bounce off!

My bottle is arriving Monday :teeth:

Problem is I still have about 6 litres ofy current favourite Sonax BSD/Chemical Guys V07 Hybrid Sealant 50:50 mix left:surrender:

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 1

I saw forensic detailing's video on YouTube earlier, it almost seems too good to be true!

I then read through some of the comments on YouTube and some suggest it's not very easy to apply which put me off purchasing.

Get some Bilt Hamber Auto Balm, cheap as chips and damn good.

Now they have double quick wax which is a lot easier to apply and again dirt cheap.

Got it on my black VW T5 van , has kept the rubbish off 6 months so far. A quick wash and wax every now and again just to keep it looking nice all the muck just falls right off it.

To be fair I have used turtle wax back in the day and it wasn't too bad from memory. But that was long before I ever got into "detailing" and at that point I didn't even know what swirl marks were :lol:

I would probably fit into the group of people that has used their products before and would be reluctant to use again but I can't deny at the price point and for their target market they are decent.

They may produce some decent stuff now, I'll keep an eye out on forensic detailing and who knows maybe even test something of theirs in the future :scare:

Edited by Rikz2004
Typo
  • Like 1

Some turtle Wax stuff is ok. The tyre shine is super cheap and lasts ages.

Turtle wax 'soft wax'  itself has so much petroleum distillate in it , I used to use it to shift tar and welded insects off the paint. Bonus dual use :D

They haven’t piled a tonne of money into it though, it’s old technology that’s become cheap enough for a brand at that end of the market to play around with. Hence ECP can afford to give it away for a fiver when it feels like it - I promise you they wouldn’t do that if they weren’t still making money!

It remains to be seen if this actually lives up to the hype (I have many, many questions over the first video) or if it’s just another hyped product new to the shelves like may, many others. However, assuming that it does live up to this hype, there’s still a lot better products available for not a lot more money.

I presume you can look up the chemical make up of the product and see if it matches anything else on the market? As above, videos on the internet are not proof, they simply show what someone has decided to show we have no idea what influences are going on behind the scenes. 

You're lucky to get one.

Loads of people are getting emails apologising that there's no stock despite the system saying there was when they ordered.

Sounds like there was a few hours of frenzied orders where the computer system couldn't keep up :lol:

Due to crap weather all I've done is wash my rims.

Dried the front wheels with an electric blower so 95% dry.

On passenger side sprayed and wiped on Sonax BSD as a drying aid to the face and lip.

On the drivers side the TW as a drying aid.

Nothing scientific as there was Optimum Optiseal placed 3 weeks ago.

Will spray with Powermaxed Jetwash and Wax and power rinse off as a touchless wash every few days and see how it compares just for fun.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

On passenger side sprayed and wiped on Sonax BSD as a drying aid to the face and lip.

Will spray with Powermaxed Jetwash and Wax and power rinse off as a touchless wash every few days and see how it compares just for fun.

Nice one keep us posted.

My cheap Bilt Hamber double speed wax is going strong after 2 weeks. Been on crappy torrential rain downpours and usual Manchester polution and so its almost self cleaning. Damn thing beads like beading thing! Even the wheels are staying clean, tricky as they are black!

3 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Oh you don’t want to use BSD... look at the video, it’s s**t!

:rolleyes:

Washed the car last night and used the Turtle Wax as a drying aid. Absolutely blown away by its use, wrestled the water away in pretty much one pass. Had a noticeable drag feel to spreading but I wasn't sure if that was because I was using the product wet. So went over again on the horizontal surfaces dry and still the same. This prompted me to give the panel a second pass which is good practice anyways. 

SHW is what I always wanted AutoGlym Aqua Wax which I just didn't get along with, as it was effort to use and achieve the results I wanted. Considering it takes seconds to apply to a car you're already going to dry with a towel is a total no brainer.

Back to its water management during use, the most evident was with the wheels. Normally with a microfiber it gets so wet that during the second wheel I'm purely pushing the water about, having to regularly fold to a fresh side. Not this time, the same folded side while using this sealant as a drying aid did all four wheels in a one pass look and feel. Of course a gave them a second pass not to dry but to buff off. Had a light shower come by so took the opportunity for a couple pictures. Rain drops didn't appear to be under alot of tension, but possibly not enough rainfail to flood the panel. Very uniformed beads no leas, so still very happy.

Easy of use 9/10

Value for money 10/10

Added shine & gloss 9/10 *looked like I spent hours glazing and waxing by hand.

Durability *unknown as yet, however is meant to be 3/4 months.

Would I use it again?

Definitely, an excellent product.

IMG_20190616_120714514_HDR.jpg.204192a3a1d1c2b56eef1bb1d4503479.jpg

IMG_20190616_120657136.jpg.89176b5bbb8e88e97cbc3c2cc056aaec.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Nowhere near super hydrophobic as it claims though, is it?! 

The finish, the gloss, the beading all scream more wax bias than sealant so I'd be hugely surprised if you see 3 months out of (without any top up of any kind) but do keep us posted on that.

Think I'll stick with Wetcoat, unless anyone wants to donate some of this for a proper test... :lol:

4 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Nowhere near super hydrophobic as it claims though, is it?! 

The finish, the gloss, the beading all scream more wax bias than sealant so I'd be hugely surprised if you see 3 months out of (without any top up of any kind) but do keep us posted on that.

Think I'll stick with Wetcoat, unless anyone wants to donate some of this for a proper test... :lol:

Clearly only looked at the pictures and not read what I had wrote, as I had given reason for the look. Between showers spritz of water to which I'm more than happy with its claims and my use of the product. Best £5 I've ever spent on the car :D

Screenshot_20190616-174239.png.8d68f93080d6758a911417bfc99bc236.png

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Clearly only looked at the pictures and not read what I had wrote, as I had given reason for the look. Between showers spritz of water to which I'm more than happy with its claims and my use of the product. Best £5 I've ever spent on the car :D

I'd be interested to see the longevity to be honest. So far it looks/sounds good! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I read what you had written too. Which bit of my post suggests otherwise to you?

Also, on it's claims; you may be content but super hydrophobic is a quantifiable claim and so far no one (yourself included, but I base this on more than just one person's post) has got anywhere near that with this product. Ergo, it cannot live up to its claims, regardless of whether you're happy or not.

53 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Davey you’ve got a few hours of daylight. Go wash the car 5 times and see what happens :lol:

Lol thank you - for 6 months of the year I wash and dry the car in the dark. 

For duration, I never got hung up on super longevity as it's a pleasure to apply a LSP quarterly not a chore. 

If you're serious about asking a question, feel free to PM rather than bulking a product thread.