Breakdown Cover - how do you do yours!

coldel

Have jumped from AA to RAC and back a couple of times now for my breakdown cover, AA just sent me a renewal putting up my current premium from £180 per year to £390 per year (no claims made last year). What do most people do on here? Do you literally jump back and forth between suppliers or have you successfully got on to them and reduced it?

i have basic AA cover (no home start) for the past  7 years (3 years on the Mini Cooper, then 4 years with the Zed). Paid around £40 to £55. I decided to cancel it this year, renewal fees was £55 as I managed to secure some deal last year for guaranteed same renew fees if no claims has been made since i first join them. I decided to cancel as I won't be going any further in the zed than 10 miles from home hence don't see the need to use them. I have a mate that has a trailer that could sort me out. I did try to cancel it each year since 4 years ago but they kept me with their on the spot deals.

Edited by veeg33

55 minutes ago, coldel said:

Have jumped from AA to RAC and back a couple of times now for my breakdown cover, AA just sent me a renewal putting up my current premium from £180 per year to £390 per year (no claims made last year). What do most people do on here? Do you literally jump back and forth between suppliers or have you successfully got on to them and reduced it?

Flippin heck, £390 per year!! Does that include car insurance as well?

I change most years, unless they keep the premium sensible in which case I will stay.

This years cover is with LV because it was lumped in with my car insurance and was around £30-40. Breakdown and national recovery, I don't bother with home start.

I just went with AXA after speaking to the meerkats, covered everything except Europe (which I’d address as it needs) for about £70. It was previously with Barclays as an (expensive, it turns out) add on.

Yes all boxes ticked, last year it was £180 per year (split out and paid monthly) they sent a letter casually increasing that to monthly payments of £36 a month, given I haven't actually had to use it in the last 12 months (aside from actually adding Euro cover for a week which I also didnt have to call upon)  is just mental. Will call them and ask them why they think I should renew at that price, would they in my shoes? ;)

12 minutes ago, coldel said:

Yes all boxes ticked, last year it was £180 per year (split out and paid monthly) they sent a letter casually increasing that to monthly payments of £36 a month, given I haven't actually had to use it in the last 12 months (aside from actually adding Euro cover for a week which I also didnt have to call upon)  is just mental. Will call them and ask them why they think I should renew at that price, would they in my shoes? ;)

I normally just change provider and then when I phone the original provider and they offer a discount I tell them to get lost - should have offered me the best deal in the first place. But that is just me being arsy and making a point.

Letter from gas supplier at the weekend telling me that my deal had expired and that I was now being put on their standard tariff - 30 minutes later I had changed and saved myself £170 a year. 

I will try stay with them, if they wont budge or get anywhere near the price of others I will simply move. I get they argue that the other prices are 'introduction prices' but hell I want to be rewarded for loyalty, not punished for it. 

We changed our broadband providor recently, we had BT, they whacked up our tariff to fifty odd quid from thirty, so we contacted them asked for a better price and was told £48 was the absolute cheapest they could do. So we signed up to Sky broad band, BT found out and contactd us offering it at £24 a month. We are now on Sky broad band!

I never used to bother. Made sure I had a tow rope in the car and used to call a mate with a towbar up if I needed a tow.

But this last few years ive been with RAC. I use my Tesco clubcard points to get 75% off, so £30 worth of Tesco points gets me £120 worth of RAC cover. Loads cheaper. Also, always check the cashback sites as they always offer huge cashbacks on breakdown cover. :thumbs: