Nismo Annoying Rattle Noise

RichCox350Z

Evening all, 

I’m really hoping someone can help me hear as I’m pulling my hair out trying to stop an annoying rattle coming from.. somewhere.

Symptoms: 

- annoying rattle when revving at around 1K and 3K.

- also happens when in a higher gear such as 2nd or 3rd and accelerating at low revs.

- When above 40mph ish, it tends to disappear. 

- sometimes disappears when engine up to temperature. 

- coming from middle of car around the bulkhead / behind dash area.

Already checked:

- battery and brake fluid covers.

- plastic trim that ^^ covers clip into

- number plate brackets

- boot lid

- gearstick cover/gaiter

- glovebox

- door cards

- cone filter heat shields 

I haven't checked the exhaust heat shields yet as it sounds more plastic to me, but more than willing to try if anyone had this issue and figured it to be a heat shield. 

The car is brand new and I only took delivery of it in February, I’ve been googling for hours and have found some US based posts and videos of owners solving rattles, but none of them are describing or showing the same issue I’m having. 

I’m well within warranty with Nissan but would prefer to solve the issue myself as I happen to know most the technicians from my local Nissan as I work in a Local Motor Factor and really don’t trust them to work on my car? 

Many help would be gladly appreciated! Or I will have to painstakingly strip the dash out lol! 

Thanks in advance!

Rich

I have exact same car Rich - vibration as same rev levels seeming to be coming from mid/rear cabin. After lining boot well with sound deadening mattingt and placing temporary packers in any suspicious plastic joints etc I have finally nailed it. Between the plastic trim on the underside of the boot. As you can see i've dropped a small rubber packer to prevent it vibrating. All this said I note your issue is more front end!:(

20190603_150345.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wheels 370z said:

I have exact same car Rich - vibration as same rev levels seeming to be coming from mid/rear cabin. After lining boot well with sound deadening mattingt and placing temporary packers in any suspicious plastic joints etc I have finally nailed it. Between the plastic trim on the underside of the boot. As you can see i've dropped a small rubber packer to prevent it vibrating. All this said I note your issue is more front end!:(

20190603_150345.jpg

Hi Wheels, 

Thanks for the info, I’m not suffering any noise from the boot/mid area. I see it’s a common complaint from the google search results on a lot of US forums. But mine is definitely front end/dash area.

I had a mysterious rattle in the n/s dash in my 350z, looked and looked for it to months turns out that it was the battery retaining bolt ( the hooked one ) hadn't been fitted properly and was rattling around on rough roads ( not by me B)) found it by complete chance.

Hi NeeZ,

Worth a check IMO. I've found a post on a US forum which involvesd cleaning out the entire front scuttle panel where it joins the windscreen. I'm going to try this by removing all the plastic trims surrounding the battery & brake fluid caps, blow it all out with an air line and then pack it with some 3M tape.

I'll see what happens!

• 3 weeks later...

So after many tedious hours hunting for the elusive sound, removing various panels and packing them with 2mm 3M foam stripping, refitting etc. I managed to find one possible culprit.

2 very annoying plastic retaining washers on the AC pipes going through the bulhead were loose. They would not re-locate so I cut the little f******* off!!

Since putting it all together it still makes the vibration when engine is cold, after normal operating temp has been reached it then subsides. Leading me to think it's something metal which is expanding when hot and then obviously not making any sound. I'm heading over to a mates garage this weekend to get the car in the air so I can check all heat shields etc.

ENG 1.jpg

ENG 2.jpg

eng 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi buddy, did you mamage to resolve the rattle on your nismo, thinking about going for a v2 myself but i have some bad stories about tramlining, just wondering if you have had this issue? 

Hi mate, I haven’t yet sorted it but since I changed to the resonated exhaust tips I can’t hear it lol! I think it’s something down in the firewall/bulkhead but I gave up. 

I can honestly say that I’ve had no issues with tramlining, I have spacers on it now, but never experienced it with or without those. 

I hope this helps? 

35 minutes ago, RichCox350Z said:

Hi mate, I haven’t yet sorted it but since I changed to the resonated exhaust tips I can’t hear it lol! I think it’s something down in the firewall/bulkhead but I gave up. 

I can honestly say that I’ve had no issues with tramlining, I have spacers on it now, but never experienced it with or without those. 

I hope this helps? 

Hi mate thanks for getting back, thats good to know that you have had no tramlining:thumbs: think i better edit my last post:blush:stay safe