370z bushings and wheel hop

Umster

As we all do, I'm loving the speed, sound and cornering of the 370Z. It's loads of fun and something that keeps me within my limits. 

However I've been getting a little annoyed with the wheel hopping and terrible off the line feel of the car. Too much power to plant down onto the road, or so I thought. From my YouTubing and foruming, it looks as though my best bet is to sort the differential and sub frame bushings out. 

The recent posts about Z1 collars for the subframe being available in the UK have got me wondering on what the best way forward is?

1. Do I get Z1 bushing collars or remove the subframe and replace the entire bushing?

2. Do I replace the diff with Whiteline polyurethane bushes or try another brand?

3. Is this work I can do myself or will I need to go to a garage? 

4. How much have people paid in the past (either street or track setups) to reduce the wheel hop? 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Z1 aluminium subframe collars 

Z1 urethane transmission mount 

Z1 urethane differential bushes 

Fitted all 3, on my initial drive back, I can say the following 

Noise. 

Has increased, worst of it is at idle when in neutral, you can hear more of that clunky transmission (would definitely worry someone who doesn't know about the charactistic of the Zs clutch). As the revs increase, the exhaust tends to swallow the increase in noise. 3k rpm is the cross over when the noises from the exhaust exceed. Higher gears don't seem to be any more noisy. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is much easier/smoother but does sound mechanical. 

Vibration. 

Has marginally increased, though its very very faint. Don't feel anything in the seat but the gear stick does wobble at higher revs. Personally don't notice it as my music is loud and full of bass. 

Harshness. 

Zero increase. I do feel the smoothness in the gear changes and when the engine opens up actually makes me think the harshness has decreased. Cornering feels smoother and acceleration is not so jumpy. 

Overall, the car feels more planted. Traction control doesn't make the car bounce anymore, it feels a lot smoother (this was in the rain hitting a sweeping corner at 40mph). The acceleration is much more smoother, feels like everything goes to the rear wheels and the tail/wheel hop has reduced drastically. 

I'll drop another update when the weather brightens up and I get some serious miles in. Assume things will soften/quieten in due course. 

Edited by Umster

• 2 weeks later...

Things have softened down, with a few serious miles and a little spirited driving. Steering feels more direct, gear changes feel smoother and throttle response matches any modern German car.

Probably won't be for everyone (people with bad backs or sensitive butt's), but if you want to get all the horses down to the ground, it's definitely worthwhile. 

• 4 months later...

So I've got my other Z1 collars and motor mounts on their way over here :blackeye: 

Had a little drama but ended up with a 2nd set which got here earlier than my 1st set. Will be posting for sale soon if anyone is interested :ninja:

On 12/06/2020 at 21:30, Umster said:

So I've got my other Z1 collars and motor mounts on their way over here :blackeye: 

Had a little drama but ended up with a 2nd set which got here earlier than my 1st set. Will be posting for sale soon if anyone is interested :ninja:

How much do you want for them?