Noob - Tyre Pressure Mistake

SeraTaru

Since I got my 370z it's been pulling to left under braking, especially in the wet.

Taken it to 3 garages for wheel alignment and balance - all perfect.

Last sunday decided to check the tyre pressure. The low profile run flats I have are rated 50 psi. Front left was 27 (!), rest were under 40.

After getting them all to 50, it was like driving a new car.

*Slaps head* - been an iRacing member for years, yet this never dawned on me in a real situation.

Jesus christ please reduce them from 50psi, you'll wear them out in weeks! 

And then take the run flats off and throw them in the bin, I don't know what 370Z pressures should be off hand, but around 35psi would be MUCH better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeraTaru said:

What would you recommend? Was my issue that they were unbalanced, not the overall PSI?

I do know at 50 psi I have to take corners gently...no sense of grip.

Exactly. The tyres have a tiny contact patch with the ground atm, it's bloody dangerous. Get them dropped asap.

2 minutes ago, SeraTaru said:

I didn't think the handbook had a bearing - the tyres themselves say 50 psi. I am so confused and useless - the 900 CC Getz didn't have these complications!

I promise you it did. Tyres are tyres, they still need to be set at the correct pressure for the application ;) 

Guys, back it off a bit, there's no need to be quite so rude. We all had to start from somewhere remember?

OP, let me give you a few pointers:

- As a basic starting point, the pressure you read on the side of a tyre will always be the maximum it's designed for, not what it should be run at. Running at a very high pressure means that only the very middle of the tyre will be touching the road, which leads to a big loss of grip as you've found out.

- As a rule, you'll never go far wrong if you set the tyres to the pressure as stated in the handbook or on the little sticker on the driver's door jam. This goes for regular tyres or runflats. You may find you want to adjust them to personal preference or if you are running a specific tyre (semi slicks in particular need to be run at a MUCH lower pressure), but really the OEM pressure is the one to go by.

- Runflats by their nature have a very very stiff sidewall, and looking at yours I'm guessing they're 20"? This is going to lead to an even stiffer ride than if you were running regular tyres, so it could be worthwhile considering getting them changed for regular tyres.

There's plenty more to tyres, but really that should get you right for now. :) 

• Like 3

I agree everyone's gotta start somewhere, but you shouldn't be adjusting things on the car if you have no idea what you're doing, that could end badly. You should either research beforehand (pretty sure you can find anything worth knowing about Z's on here) or ask/take it to someone who knows what they're doing :)

This guy is either winding us all up or he is genuinely clueless and wanting to learn.

He has only been on the forum for 3 months and most the posts that he has started are in a similar vein.

Check out @SeraTaru

However, I do agree that if you can not get a handle on the simple things like tyre pressures then you should leave maintenance stuff to someone who does.

49 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Guys, back it off a bit, there's no need to be quite so rude. We all had to start from somewhere remember?

That is somewhat rather rich coming from you:  ;) :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6