Chernobyl

TT350

I might be boring people with these. Hell, you dont need to watch them, lol.

Look at the amount of gamma radiation hitting the camera in this video! For those who don't know, that's high energy ionizing radiation creating white specks in the video. Enlarging the video to full screen is essential for watching this video, as the whitewash from this webpage casts a glare and you can't see the radiation clearly. But expand it and it's completely visible. 

I'm pretty sure that we're seeing parts of molten core and concrete at 41 seconds. Its definitely something that got extremely hot and melted through the ceiling there. They called it "Chernobylite". Perhaps this is an upper part of "Medusa" or "the elephants foot" that eventually melted through to the basement. Absolutely lethal levels of radiation. 

Dosimeter at 2:12 onward, sounding its alarm like crazy.

2:26 rectangular blocks with circle in the middle to the left of the video, graphite moderators I'm sure. A firefighter in the first episode of Chernobyl picks up part of one that looks just like these in the video. 

These graphite fuel assemblies would have been deep in the core, on and off, as they lowered and raised them to decrease or increase neutron flux and lowering or raising power. Fully out, the reactor would have been at full power. All the way in and the reactor would shut down. Or, at least that's how I understand it. 

Edited by TT350
  • Like 2

Wow  nearly 15,000 views for this thread.

So far, it's Ekona and I that are going around 3rd of September (updated)

Anyone else interested? It's quite inexpensive. 

Put your name on the list if you want to come. 

TT350

Ekona

Edited by TT350

I went a couple years back.

If you like that stuff, tour operator did a very good job and i'd go back again with is https://www.chernobylwel.com/ 

2 day tours get to take train with the workers and stay at hotel in Pripyat 2, go see the radar area and inside the working control centre with lunch in the workers canteen and see the stray dogs wandering about the sarcophagus.

If you've not played too much cod and ps4 vr zombie stuff and want some more real life walking around in drains underground stuff they also arrange an underground tour.

Can also confirm super cheap beer and icecream is available :)

I also did a solo mission to Fukushima area a year and a half ago. Interesting comparison of a totally different scene.

Haven't seen the tv show. I only watch Motogp. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

Chernobyl was a fantastic series. I feel they could have made it considerably longer and had more on the miners and bio robots if only to give more respect to their self sacrifice. Not sure how accurate it is but I heard they got bonuses the equivalent $100 (us) each. Looking back, its lucky the disaster was not far worse, huge chunks of Europe could be an exclusion zone to this day. I've been wanting to visit for years out of respect for those who gave their lives, many not by choice, to potentially save us from some pretty horrific after effects. Needless to say, the wife has told me in no uncertain terms  if I go I can't comeback.... She doesn't really understand most of it though.

Going back to early in the thread, about Ulna and the 4 megaton bomb. I think it was probably worded wrong, had the core melted down and reached the water tanks then the resulting explosion from the steam would have had the same force as a 4 megaton bomb, but the fallout would have been worse, iirc with the prevailing winds etc the material/contaminated rain could have reached as far as Britain. 

When you go, hope you have an amazing trip  and I look forward to seeing your photos :thumbs:

11 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

Going back to early in the thread, about Ulna and the 4 megaton bomb. I think it was probably worded wrong, had the core melted down and reached the water tanks then the resulting explosion from the steam would have had the same force as a 4 megaton bomb, but the fallout would have been worse, iirc with the prevailing winds etc the material/contaminated rain could have reached as far as Britain. 

When you go, hope you have an amazing trip  and I look forward to seeing your photos :thumbs:

4 megatons is an absolutely catastrophic explosion. The bomb that leveled Hiroshima was only 15 kilotons, by comparison. Nagasaki was 20kt. 

The largest warhead currently in US service is 1.2 megatons. 

The creators of the show explained that it was just thrown in for plot. 

• Like 1

Kind of scary that Iran is probably going to step up its Uranium enrichment programme. 

Currently they're limited to I believe 3 to 5% (U-235) but want to up it to 20% for a research reactor. Once you get past 20%, the steps to take it further (90% for weapons grade) are simplified. 

Trump pulled out of the deal that Obama brokered with Iran to limit it to 5%.

I don't think Iran has the technology to mount a warhead on an ICBM. But I do think they'd use one on one of the neighbouring Arab states. Maybe even Turkey, which is a NATO member, then we would all be roped in. I'm pretty sure the Russians would help Iran along indirectly. Perhaps even sell ICBMs to the regime. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...