The problem with increasing tech in cars...

coldel

This is what worries me about speed controlled cars, forget the usual arguments spouted by car folk, it's just one more thing we don't control. People we'l forget how to actually 'drive'. I spend a lot of my day driving other people's cars in and out of the workshop and occasional road tests, and make a point of not using parking cam's. Mirrors do me just fine, and I've not hit anything yet.

Saw this happen in Brent Cross, London. People just stopped and stared in shock. I had my hand on the horn till they dissapeared in the distance! Its okay though. Im sure he/she worked it out when 3 lanes of 50 mph traffic was coming the other way.

Or how about a U turn in a 40 MPH 6 lane carriage way. Im sure her sat nav said turn around.

5 hours ago, coldel said:

Police stopped a chap asleep at the wheel of a self driving Tesla the other day https://news.sky.com/story/police-stop-tesla-driver-who-fell-asleep-at-wheel-while-using-autopilot-11724748 the car then attempted to overtake police officers attempting to pull it over. Absolutely bonkers.

So the guy was intoxicated, he was going to 'drive' any car anyways and fall asleep, surely better in a car that could at least on the road and not crash into some bystanders.

Nav on Autopilot will also not initiate a lane change without human input, it'll indicate to overtake slower traffic but wouldn't do it till you at least hold the steering wheel.

The tech coming will 100% stop people driving into on coming traffic, that just wouldn't happen. 

Our car can now 'drive' itself for about 30% of my daily commute. Very boring stuff but in rush our stop/start traffic its fab. Oh I also set AP to the speed limit, so you can see pretty much every other car ahead cannot stay within the legal speed limit for more than 10 seconds. Us humans are really bad at obeying the highway code :).

Apparently traffic light and proper junction detection is coming later this year. 

15 hours ago, gangzoom said:

So the guy was intoxicated, he was going to 'drive' any car anyways and fall asleep, surely better in a car that could at least on the road and not crash into some bystanders.

Nav on Autopilot will also not initiate a lane change without human input, it'll indicate to overtake slower traffic but wouldn't do it till you at least hold the steering wheel.

The tech coming will 100% stop people driving into on coming traffic, that just wouldn't happen. 

Our car can now 'drive' itself for about 30% of my daily commute. Very boring stuff but in rush our stop/start traffic its fab. Oh I also set AP to the speed limit, so you can see pretty much every other car ahead cannot stay within the legal speed limit for more than 10 seconds. Us humans are really bad at obeying the highway code :).

Apparently traffic light and proper junction detection is coming later this year. 

Where does it say he was going to drive anyway?

To me it looks like this technology encourages drivers to drink and then be in charge of a vehicle whilst over the limit.

Edited by coldel

Cant find the story but remember last year an old dear put her campervan on autocruise then went in the back to make a brew!! She crashed into a tree, thankfully nobody hurt but thought it was like an autopilot on a plane! It begins .....the human race is doomed!

if this is the future give me a one way ticket to a third world republic where I get to keep my petrol car. If chose to one day go electric or get a flying car the bureaucracy and laws wont hinder me in any way :lol:

ie pilots license for my flying car and other taxes or extra charges due to strain on the grid from charging 

I think the extra strain on the grid is a bit of a myth TBH. The Tesla charges are actually a huge battery pack to smooth this out.

Even if everyone uses their 10kw home charger at once it should not be a problem as power usage drops off during the night. Its no different to most people having a shower between 7 and 8am.

The manufacturers predictions for electric car sales by 2025 have took even me by surprise and I have been looking to go that way for a few years now. I was going to bit the bullet 8 months ago, I looked at second hand Tesla Ss and a new Jaguar I-Pace. Both nice cars but for a fast Tesla the capital outlay was too much, with  Jag it was the waiting list and the massive capital outlay. The performance is there, the charging is there, they just need to get a bit cheaper.

Anyway I bought a 2 year old BMW 12000 miles at nearly half its new price. For now.

• Haha 1

I have been thinking leccie also for some time but only waiting for the batteries and conversation kits to drop in price so I can convert my 71 Beetle and 73 Bay camper to leccie! 

Instead I buy a gas guzzling V8 just as they are on the way out! :surrender::wacko: