Obligatory exhaust purchase advice questions

Hey all =)

So unfortunately my current Cobra rear has started to become louder than it already was so I suspect something is amiss and it needs replacing.

I have the 350z HR with Motordyne ARTs and an HKS Y pipe.

What I'm looking for is either a cat-back or Y back system.  It needs to be quieter than my current setup because I don't want to start getting angry at anybody demanding I spend large sums of money to mitigate their inability to chill the fk out for 30 seconds a day (yes I'm bitter at everyone's lack of tolerance, ironic that I am not tolerating them in return).

My existing setup drones at various rev ranges, but the most annoying is at the 55 to 65 mph range, so I could do with something that will not drone with the ARTs.

An increase in available power would be a bonus but is secondary, as long as it is not a decrease.

Sound wise, I like a lower frequency growl, and love (lovelove) the purr as it rises through the rev band.  At WOT I am happy with it sounding like a racecar (this would be preferable).

If it makes a difference I have to navigate those speed humps that pass down the middle of your car without slowing you down each day, and regular useful speed humps once a week.

I've mainly been looking at the ARK Grip, the Injen SES, the Invidia Gemini, but willing to assess other options (Blitz Nur Spec and Tanabe Medallion were the others I was looking at).

Does anybody have relevant experience with any of these, particularly with ART pipes or decats?  Is it easy to eliminate any of these options based upon the parameters above?  The primary things at this stage are to get the neighbours to zip it without falling out of love with my car, so to maintain an enjoyable sound and definitely get rid of the drone as much as possible.

I know it is one of those things that gets asked a lot, but I could do with some help narrowing down the options based upon my specific circumstances.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you might be able to provide =)

Luke

I don't know much about the tanabe or blitz but the Ark, injen and invidia are all great shouts in terms of quality and performance, much more so than the cobra you currently have. 

In terms of sound I'd expect them to all be fairly similar (going by the size of the resonators), but I think the Ark has more of a unique sound due to the helmholtz chambers (which are also meant to reduce drone). 

If loudness is one of your biggest concerns have you considered the miltek system? It's only slightly louder than oem so sounds a bit tame with oem cats but with the art pipes it might be a nice balance for you. 

I've got the invidia gemini paired with HFCs and absolutely love it. The quality is fantastic, it sounds great and it's perfect volume for me. 

2 hours ago, Jack94 said:

have you considered the miltek system?

Hey thanks for your response =)  Whilst volume is a primary concern, so is me not enjoying my car any longer due to sacrificing too much to appease the ungrateful plebs nearby.  From what I have read I get the feeling that the Miltek might be a little too tame and OEM+ for me.  It's a balancing act which is why I'm not going straight for the quietest exhausts and am trying to find a happy medium.

Do you get any drone with your combination?

9 minutes ago, Redsky said:

I will second the invidia gemini I absolutely love mine, running OEM cats on my one though

Thanks for your input!  It's good to know that one of the options is broadly recommended by the community =)  Just need to establish how each of them will likely compare with decats / ART pipes attached!

I have invidia with de cats and currently looking for options to make it quieter its drones and is loud 

My pal runs the same set up with art pipes and drone is way less but volume is on par 

But he has extensive sound deadening in the cabin also

I'm looking at getting a pair of vibrant ultra quiet resonators welded in 

Edited by nissanman312

2 hours ago, Doom said:

Hey thanks for your response =)  Whilst volume is a primary concern, so is me not enjoying my car any longer due to sacrificing too much to appease the ungrateful plebs nearby.  From what I have read I get the feeling that the Miltek might be a little too tame and OEM+ for me.  It's a balancing act which is why I'm not going straight for the quietest exhausts and am trying to find a happy medium.

Do you get any drone with your combination?

Thanks for your input!  It's good to know that one of the options is broadly recommended by the community =)  Just need to establish how each of them will likely compare with decats / ART pipes attached!

I will just add when the weather is cold and the car is warming up the exhaust does drone but on warmer days or after a good run the drone lessens and around 3K RPM the drone stops pretty much entirely and starts to really shout on WOT.

20 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

I have invidia with de cats and currently looking for options to make it quieter its drones and is loud 

Hmm ok, thanks for letting me know, that is not ideal.  I think the volume is probably subjective, I've heard that it is a relatively refined option so probably better than my current system is, but the droning I definitely want to ditch. 

19 hours ago, Redsky said:

I will just add when the weather is cold and the car is warming up the exhaust does drone but on warmer days or after a good run the drone lessens and around 3K RPM the drone stops pretty much entirely and starts to really shout on WOT

Mine doesn't drone at WOT either, it screams which is enjoyable, it's the 95% of the time that I'm under regular acceleration and 50 to 65 cruising speeds that are irritating me :lol:

I don't mind the rasp to be honest because racecar, and I think the ARTs will take some of the rasp out. Perhaps I should add the Miltek option to my list, although I'd prefer slightly more fruity than OEM at low revs :wacko:

22 hours ago, coldel said:

The only video I could find of me testing out my milltek+berks combo!

That's not too bad.  Perhaps it will sound a little more than OEM at low with the decats which would be preferred.

11 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

I think it's just a touch harsh and drones under load around 2/3k mark with de cats

It sounds as though I might not be able to escape drone if I go with a dual setup.  It's pretty difficult to gauge I guess, I think mine is pretty bad because just fills the cabin at certain ranges, tends to be lower revs in the cruising range.

Maybe I should consider the Miltek or the Tanabe as the primary options.

Out of interest however, anybody with experience with the Injens or the ARKs?  Would be interested to hear feedback if there is any to be had =)

I like the bass growl and the scream at WOT, its a case of trying to get both of those, with no drone, at a reasonable level of amplitude :lol:  Just trying to establish options =)

1 hour ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

350z exhausts don't fit 370z

Thanks Adrian =) 

Well I think I've narrowed my options to Invidia Gemini, and Tanabe Medalion Touring plus a Y pipe of some kind. I think either of those will provide the right balance of compromise between sounding good when I want it to, lower decibels to keep the neighbours quiet, a lack of drone, and possibly a minor performance increase when I get it remapped next. 

I have run a Miltek with berk and cobra HFCs, sounds great not too noisy but great sound at revs, especially through a tunnel :)

If you don't want big noise, I'd keep CATs of some description.

It's a little late for cats as they are no longer on the car and it is mapped to not have them :lol:  I think the majority of my noise however is down to other exhaust components and their age.  I guess I will find out soon enough when I make a decision between one of the above 2 options!  If it doesn't work then I will have to look at HFCs maybe, but I don't particularly want to have wasted my money on ARTs ^_^

45 minutes ago, Doom said:

It's a little late for cats as they are no longer on the car and it is mapped to not have them :lol:  I think the majority of my noise however is down to other exhaust components and their age.  I guess I will find out soon enough when I make a decision between one of the above 2 options!  If it doesn't work then I will have to look at HFCs maybe, but I don't particularly want to have wasted my money on ARTs ^_^

Why dont you just replace the silencers in your current exhaust 

• Like 1