Scratched upper plenum, usable?

Silverman

I bought a brand new upper plenum on eBay as I wanted to paint it as part of some engine detailing and swap for my moody looking one. Just easier to paint another one and swap them rather than paint mine. 

Problem is the guy packaged it terribly and its got some damage in transit. My concern is a nasty scratch on the rim 

I assume where the plenum spacer sits it has to make a perfect seal so the scratch is now going to effect performance if it doesn’t form a seal?

theres also some damage on 3 of tubes (I know this is not the technical name lol)  but maybe these aren’t as important and can just be sanded flat? 

Any advice please? I’m not that clued up on engine workings and don’t want to paint it if it’s not going to work right  

thanks 

D6A7F1A3-9C9A-4024-A0C2-8FA2E5B19529.jpeg

3E4CCED2-4D7D-49BB-AF17-7D19C71C96DF.jpeg

Sand the marks in the "tubes" down and do the same on the mark in the rim I would suggest nothing harsher than a 320 grit wet and dry paper on a block for the rim just to remove anything proud - do not over sand it! You will make a dip and that's worse than the scratch. Remember its ally so soft.

The plenum has a gasket and as long as you torque the plenum bolts down correctly you should be fine. I would be happy to use it from what I have seen in the pics.

EDIT: Top Tip - make sure you clean it really well after sanding or the dust will go straight into the engine when you start her up. :scare:

Edited by Keyser

As Keyser has said, you could sand it down if you're confident doing so and the seller agrees to refund you some of your money for the hastle.

Or you could just send it back at the sellers expense for a full refund/replacement.

Athe end of the day it's arrived damaged and that's not acceptable for something "brand new". 

1 hour ago, Jack94 said:

As Keyser has said, you could sand it down if you're confident doing so and the seller agrees to refund you some of your money for the hastle.

Or you could just send it back at the sellers expense for a full refund/replacement.

Athe end of the day it's arrived damaged and that's not acceptable for something "brand new". 

Thanks mate :)