Dolby Atmos

The G Man

Well, I’ve recently invested in a Sony AV receiver and, I’ve invested in a basic set up to compliment my teufal 5.1 home cinema system https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/accessories/reflekt-p16570.html.  Has anyone, and I appreciate that I’m a latecomer to this technology, got any pointers and/or recommendations, bearing in mind that I’ve just laid out, however have no fears for improving, an Atmos system, or any tips to improve sound?  Room size is 40 sq m

In terms of what can make a massive difference for not much outlay, I found that standing my Kef iQ90s and Kube2 sub on solid marble bases (inch thick) made the biggest improvement to sound and clarity, as they stop any vibrations being lost via the flooring. What speakers are you running btw? And are any of them bi-wired? There's a subtle but marked difference in sound quality if you can do that (my fronts are bi-wired).

As a more general idea for others, unless you have plenty of Atmos-soundtracked sources then it may not be worth the outlay going for any kind of Atmos setup, and certainly ceiling mounted is preferable to upfiring if you possibly can.

Although its a bit long in the tooth now and no Dolby Atmos my biggest difference in quality was spending £1500 on a discounted £2500 Yamaha DSP-Z7 AV Receiver paired with my existing 4 floorstanding Tannoys, a Tannoy subwoofer plus a Tannoy centre speaker.

Its a monster of an AV Receiver with impressive true output wattage.

I still use them now and lack the motivation to upgrade to Atmos.

TBH I am enjoying Dolby HD sound on Blu-Rays and haven't even upgraded to 4k TV yet.

I must be getting old......

Edited by StormWhite

My AVR is a bit dated now too and wants an upgrade, but my Kefs are known for being a tad trebly in nature so I’m being very picky before I splurge out. The VSX920 (told you it was dated!) took me about 4-5 hours of testing in various shops before I was comfortable it was a good match, and that was before I got old and got really fussy...! :lol: 

My AVR was well dated, an old Technics one, connectivity was the failing on it, had DTS but was not up to modern HDMI connections.  The Sony one is an entry level one but had fantastic reviews compared to the competition for the price.  I like the ARC from the AVR to the tv, so all the inputs go in the AVR and out to the tv through a single HDMI to its ARC input.

Speakers are similar to this set https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/home-cinema/columa-300-easy-5-1-set-l-p18197.html,   Looked at Kefs Atmos speakers but couldn’t get the definitive answer as to whether it was crucial for them to sit directly on top or could be used just placed on the unit in front of my tower speakers.

All the stuff I’ve got is probably entry level and I’m not able to bi wire any of the speakers.  The AVR can put out a ‘phantom’ set of surround to push out 7.1, adding the two Atmos speakers should give me 7.1.2 capability.

you're spot on with the lack of atmos sound through most media sources, BT Sport 4K put it out and some sky channels.  Mainly it’ll come from 4K blu Ray.  Haven’t wired up the Atmos speakers yet, ran out of banana plugs so need some more.  I have got good quality cable from Teufal though.  From what I’ve read, the Atmos can be very subtle, or non existent if not set up correctly.  The more I read into it, the more I was taken down rabbit holes by the techy geeks on AV forums and you tube reviews.

Edited by The G Man

7 hours ago, StormWhite said:

Although its a bit long in the tooth now and no Dolby Atmos my biggest difference in quality was spending £1500 on a discounted £2500 Yamaha DSP-Z7 AV Receiver paired with my existing 4 floorstanding Tannoys, a Tannoy subwoofer plus a Tannoy centre speaker.

Its a monster of an AV Receiver with impressive true output wattage.

I still use them now and lack the motivation to upgrade to Atmos.

TBH I am enjoying Dolby HD sound on Blu-Rays and haven't even upgraded to 4k TV yet.

I must be getting old......

I’m a big fan of Yamaha receivers.  I only have a Yamaha sound bar these days but I used to have Monitor Audio 7.1 speakers paired with a Yamaha receiver - sounded great.  The only downside of home cinema for me is you need very deep pockets to keep up with the tech. I’m also yet to be convinced that shelling out for expensive cables brings noticable benefits.  

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with component systems on the whole is they are only as good as your weakest component. 

I have a marantz hifi setup with focal speakers and have to be honest just using those as stereo blows the socks off my DTS HD 5 speaker surroundsound setup.

We use the surround sound for everyday TV, (news, soaps etc)  and my hifi speakers (in stereo) for movies. Sounds crazy I know but the sound is great. 

My advice invest in the speakers first that you like the sound of (speakers are like wine, everyone has there own preference). Then pair with a suitable amp. Where possible always try before you buy. 

I've had a long and gradual path to my current home cinema set up.

Back in the 80s while at college I got a stereo amp and speakers from Tandy (now there's a blast from the past) and ran my 14 inch TV into it :lol:

The most bang for the buck sonic improvements after obtaining 5.1 gear I've experienced are as follows.

1. Active subwoofer.

No average speakers will come as close to rumbling your bones.

I started with a Rel 200w 10 inch.

2. BIGGER SUB.

After 20 years my Rel started rattling so I upgraded to a 500w 12 inch sub with a bigger cabinet

Monolith Vs REL q200e

My BK Monolith Plus.

Best £600 I've ever EVER spent on audio :teeth:

3. I added 2 more speakers to 7.1.

Improvement.......yes.

But nowhere near the impressiveness that the Monolith Plus brings.

It even rattles the doors upstairs!