Need advice for my mid life crisis car choice!

stanski

Maserati my friend. Go for it. Servicing is every 2 years. I too have been researching these as its my next wagon after the zed. (mainly as with a 2 year old next car needs 4 seats really)

Maserati you will have the odd issue but generally my research has come out quite positive for the GT.  Best to best avoid the skyhook suspension as not great and expensive if it goes wrong. And if you can stretch to the 4.7 it's sounds better than the 4.2.  Plenty of choice with these so get one which has had work done on it and a maser/indie service history.  Also the maserati is going to be close to the bottom of its depreciation curve. 370 nismo and mustang will depreciate like hell.  

On a side note F355 pictures please @coldel

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2019 at 21:32, monkeybrain1234 said:

Maserati my friend. Go for it. Servicing is every 2 years. I too have been researching these as its my next wagon after the zed. (mainly as with a 2 year old next car needs 4 seats really)

Maserati you will have the odd issue but generally my research has come out quite positive for the GT.  Best to best avoid the skyhook suspension as not great and expensive if it goes wrong. And if you can stretch to the 4.7 it's sounds better than the 4.2.  Plenty of choice with these so get one which has had work done on it and a maser/indie service history.  Also the maserati is going to be close to the bottom of its depreciation curve. 370 nismo and mustang will depreciate like hell.  

On a side note F355 pictures please @coldel

Hi think we did the same research. I love them to look at and no doubt they are great to drive but Maserati has stopped making them. Their parts tend to be bespoke made and not generally available elsewhere, so its going to be a total money pit long term especially tyres and brakes not least fuel. 

Maserati and Alfa are circling the financial rim with Fiat/Chrysler looking to potentially sell? Shame really but sometimes that beautiful Italian is just too high maintenance!

Anyway going to check out a Mustang hopefully this weekend, see how that goes?

On 14/05/2019 at 19:27, TT350 said:

I only ever see grey haired, pot bellied, brown leather driving glove wearing, black nylon pants with grey leather moccasins type gentlemen in Mustangs that talk like Jeremy Clarkson. 

Seems its more of a third quarter of life choice, from what I have seen round here, lol.

I'm sure you're a svelte, dashing chap though so, go with the Maserati. 

I have to agree there is a certain clientele seen driving a Stang! I would like to confirm I am not that, neither do I like the usual suspect German stuff, no doubt superb but too common for me. I am just wierd?

Inside I am still 12 flicking through my Hot Rod and Custom Magazine haha.

Anyway its most likely be a 370z the sensible choice but I have to try a Mustang too.

On 15/05/2019 at 14:59, Ekona said:

If it’s rosso with crema, I’ll be disappointed :p 

Ross and Nero as it happens :lol:

pxf5Usg.jpg

buDs7EL.jpg

Original (including paint) other than a Capristo exhaust and some rear wheel spacers, it goes, looks and sounds beautiful, who cares how much it cost? :lol:

My BMW is considerably faster but is trying to kill me all the time while this works with you, its like the difference between having a punch up with someone and ballroom dancing. Can also confirm an MR2 handling is not a million miles away .........

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, docwra said:

Ross and Nero as it happens :lol:

pxf5Usg.jpg

buDs7EL.jpg

Original (including paint) other than a Capristo exhaust and some rear wheel spacers, it goes, looks and sounds beautiful, who cares how much it cost? :lol:

My BMW is considerably faster but is trying to kill me all the time while this works with you, its like the difference between having a punch up with someone and ballroom dancing. Can also confirm an MR2 handling is not a million miles away .........

Lucky guy. My favourite Ferrari after the F50 (yes, F50, not F40 lol) and 458.

On 21/05/2019 at 16:19, stanski said:

I have to agree there is a certain clientele seen driving a Stang! I would like to confirm I am not that, neither do I like the usual suspect German stuff, no doubt superb but too common for me. I am just wierd?

Inside I am still 12 flicking through my Hot Rod and Custom Magazine haha.

Anyway its most likely be a 370z the sensible choice but I have to try a Mustang too.

Yeah I used to feel the same way about German but I was illuminated as to my folly in the matter. I will be aiming for the V10 RS6 via a B8.5 Audi S5, because I know I will enjoy it in the meantime. 

Why not do the same? 

Then again my logic is often flawed so I retract that last sentence as a form of advice. 

A 370 is still a tempting one for me, too. Especially as it's roughly 10 to 12 thousand pounds cheaper than an RS6. But the RS6 - what a car. 

1 minute ago, TT350 said:

Yeah I used to feel the same way about German but I was illuminated as to my folly in the matter. I will be aiming for the V10 RS6 via a B8.5 Audi S5, because I know I will enjoy it in the meantime. 

Why not do the same? 

Then again my logic is often flawed so I retract that last sentence as a form of advice. 

A 370 is still a tempting one for me, too. Especially as it's roughly 10 to 12 thousand pounds cheaper than an RS6. But the RS6 - what a car. 

I had a bad experience with Audi years ago, Audi UK to be exact, engine top end blew up at 70 (not something you ever forget) other than the fact they make cam belt tensioners from plastic but then totally didn't give a stuff about you, long story.  So yes nice as they may look I vowed never to have one.

Bottom line everyone likes different stuff and why not, I am just odd. I love oddball , I had a chocolate brown Nissan Cube once with the Brown velour interior, loved it but couldn't pull skin off custard.

Anyway get your Audi and enjoy it mate lifes too short. All these cars will be worthless in the next decade when society shuns them as being evil gas guzzlers. 

The 370 is the end of the line , next one will be some 4 pot with a turbo, but I like my V6s non turbo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, docwra said:

Can also confirm an MR2 handling is not a million miles away .........

Ferrari MR2 FTW...!  Looks lovely... 

Im starting to really enjoy my Mustang Stan... you know you want one. B) I bought a new private plate for it this week, and will be fitting my motorised plate holder for it shortly.  '0008 MPG' :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, marzman said:

Im starting to really enjoy my Mustang Stan... you know you want one. B) I bought a new private plate for it this week, and will be fitting my motorised plate holder for it shortly.  '0008 MPG' :lol:

8mpg. Same as I got from my Z! 

8 minutes ago, marzman said:

Off to test drive one Saturday morning, was going to ask is there anything I need to look out for? Other than tyre tread on the rears haha!

2 hours ago, stanski said:

Chris!! I wish I had not read that now! After owning Japanese cars with sod all issues this is putting me off. Well lets see on Saturday eh?

Thanks again

Meh... all cars have issues.  I've not even read this myself to be honest!!

Interior water leaks, and oil cooler failure are the two biggies im aware of, but then if you buy a car with warranty you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

Hi Stan. I went from 350Z for 7 years to 370z for 4 years and decided I too wanted a change.

I decided on practical, for golf etc and decided on a P240 E pace.

Anyway something went wrong and I picked up my F Type on Friday. :unsure:

I would have another 370 sometime too.

• Haha 1

On 27/05/2019 at 08:32, Renegade said:

Hi Stan. I went from 350Z for 7 years to 370z for 4 years and decided I too wanted a change.

I decided on practical, for golf etc and decided on a P240 E pace.

Anyway something went wrong and I picked up my F Type on Friday. :unsure:

I would have another 370 sometime too.

I loved my 350 only sold it as my daughter was on the way at the time so needed a practical saloon! Anyway fast forward she is now 9, I was going for a 370 it was almost 100% certain, it felt home from home, but Italian Beauties aside I plumped for a lazy fat yank instead!

But so far my Pony Car is superb however strangley Zed like (bar the fat bottom and width)  and it even comes with a radio/entertainment system slightly more up to date within the present decade. Not requiring valves to warm up or limited to the BBC World service or Radio Luxembourg as the Zeds is?:lol::p Turned out nice again!

Enjoy the F Type I always thought they looked very 350z from the front anyway B) would have been an option except still pricey for me.

Blimey at this rate we shall need a separate ex-zedders forum!