Need advice for my mid life crisis car choice!

stanski

Hi folks

After years of messing with cars especially classics I am finally hanging up those classic boots and quite fancy some stupid gas guzzling modern tin.

I am down to 3 choices and wondered if anyone had these and can advise.

1. Late model 370z Nismo, so as they are about to ditch it anytime soon to be replaced with some turbo small pot that runs on carrot juice so not to upset the environment, I am considering it. No need to reply on this one I know enough about them.

But option

2. Maserati Grandtourismo auto.  Ever since I saw one new I thought wow stunning car and sounds awesome. But like a lot of expensive cars they are now around the £20-30k mark, the 30k mark are nicer spec and condition and mileage. Yes they will cost a fortune to run and eat brakes and tyres but for the money surely a bargain?

I have an indie place in Manchester that can service them. But they are Italian and although probably better built than most I know they will bleed me dry! Oh and its the size of a bus a lovely looking bus. Anybody had one?

3. Ford Mustang uk spec another one I loved from day one. Yes again it will no doubt eat tyres and drink petrol but I am hoping servicing costs should be cheaper as its Ford? I see Marzman has one in the very colour I love! Damn you Sir !:lol:

Hope you are enjoying it still?

Yes its big and inside is Lego plastic in places but I dont mind.

My common sense says just save my money and wait for the fancy electric stuff once prices fall and battery range is 700 miles on a 2 minute charge, provided by electric fairies that make no carbon emissions but..... I am old school I like my petrol.

I am not keen on sensible german stuff that the rest of humanity drive.:surrender:

Any advise greatly received. 

Thanks

Stan

Hey Stan! long time no see!

Yes i've had my Mustang about 14 months now.  Bought it from new, and i'm very happy with it.  Interior quality is actually excellent - it's a very nice place to be. 

I had to replace my tyres after 6k miles which is pretty crazy, and I get a pretty solid 21mpg average which is okay... i had an RRS before this which was the same MPG so used to it.

Performance is alright... it's plenty quick enough, but it's the looks and mod-ability which i like.  It's very personalise-able which is always fun and it gets a RIDICULOUS amount of attention everywhere i go.  Men/women/children/old grannies comment on it more or less every time i go out!  I've had people film me as i'm driving etc.  It gets a bit embarrassing really. :lol: 

If the above sounds appealing then you can't go wrong.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, marzman said:

Hey Stan! long time no see!

Yes i've had my Mustang about 14 months now.  Bought it from new, and i'm very happy with it.  Interior quality is actually excellent - it's a very nice place to be. 

I had to replace my tyres after 6k miles which is pretty crazy, and I get a pretty solid 21mpg average which is okay... i had an RRS before this which was the same MPG so used to it.

Performance is alright... it's plenty quick enough, but it's the looks and mod-ability which i like.  It's very personalise-able which is always fun and it gets a RIDICULOUS amount of attention everywhere i go.  Men/women/children/old grannies comment on it more or less every time i go out!  I've had people film me as i'm driving etc.  It gets a bit embarrassing really. :lol: 

If the above sounds appealing then you can't go wrong.  

Hi mate good to hear from you and thanks for the info.

I have to admit the Mustang has been favourite recently. Coincidentally there is a ford store near my work and I popped in today to sit in a new one. Its a bit in your face when you first go up to it but I think it looks the dogs and I do like the inside. Guess what a blue one like yours drove past my house as I was reversing out this morning! Its a sign!!!!:lol:

Is it 24k service intervals and dare I ask is it expensive? Surely cant be as bad as a Maserati?

This is a one off chance to get something like this as I wont get this opportunity again so it has to be right.  I still love the zed and its probably as slightly more sensible alternative but that Mustang has been a fave for years!

How do you get on with carparks though? Is it a dog to squeeze in and out of with those long doors?

12 minutes ago, Ekona said:

You'd be mad to get anything other than the Maser if that's on your list. Just look at it! And a proper Ferrari V8, what's not to like?

I know I know ! I have bored everyone about it for 12 months , did my research etc even sat in a new one the other week, they do look fantastic but Italian exotica with higher miles and almost 10 years old is all I can afford but its very overfacing sometimes? I would be a nervous wreck leaving it anywhere. 

Only downside is that cheapo old looking satnav/radio etc but then the same age Bentley Continental is just as bad, if more unreliable!

I know I will probably end up with the zed but its a 2 horse (pony maybe) race.

Anyone want a Rover P5?

RE the Maser, i think i probably read it on here but someone was talking about them having supercar running costs.  e.g. someone needed to replae their suspension struts and it cost £8k.  Put me off them ever since.  Might have been Docwra talking about this...

Mustang... it might be worth trying to find out if there are any pre-facelift Mustangs brand new for sale... i bought mine 4 months before the facelift came out (which i dont personally like, tbh), and got a really good deal on it.  At the time there were I think 246 pre-facelift models brand new for sale in the country, but dealers were going to get stuck with the stock when the facelift came out.  There might be a few floating about still which they're giving away. 

Servicing - I got mine thrown in for free, but i certainly dont believe it's expensive.  No more than a regular car i think.

Car parks... it's not too bad, although does have the turning circle of a 32ft yacht.

7 minutes ago, marzman said:

RE the Maser, i think i probably read it on here but someone was talking about them having supercar running costs.  e.g. someone needed to replae their suspension struts and it cost £8k.  Put me off them ever since.  Might have been Docwra talking about this...

Mustang... it might be worth trying to find out if there are any pre-facelift Mustangs brand new for sale... i bought mine 4 months before the facelift came out (which i dont personally like, tbh), and got a really good deal on it.  At the time there were I think 246 pre-facelift models brand new for sale in the country, but dealers were going to get stuck with the stock when the facelift came out.  There might be a few floating about still which they're giving away. 

Servicing - I got mine thrown in for free, but i certainly dont believe it's expensive.  No more than a regular car i think.

Car parks... it's not too bad, although does have the turning circle of a 32ft yacht.

Thanks for the info, I have to agree I am not too keen on the facelift one, its kind of going back a bit to the uglier 80/90s ones in a strange way?

It was maybe a 2017 I was thinking about. 

Yes I did my research on the Masser and yes stuff costs a fortune, even things like spark plugs etc a lot of which is Maserati only not even indie ?

I do think they are fab but long term (as I am not getting any younger) I have to be kind of sensible well.... Maybe?

Hmm I need to drive one really I suppose and compare against the Zed?

But can I live with a bright blue ship on the drive?

Hi Stan,

I cant help with the Mustang, looks like marzman is the man for that, but they do look amazing.

Regarding the 370Z, I have had mine for nearly a year and I have loved and am loving every minute of it. The sound, the reliability, the looks and the performance are all exceptional. I use mine every day to and from work and I love it. I have owned some pretty amazing cars in my time and I thought that "proper" car ownership was over when I bought my Vauxhall Corsa and then a Ford Fiesta. Then like you, I suddenly thought, Sod it, I am not enjoying this. I am 57, yes mid-life crisis it may be but I have always loved the Z, I had a 260Z back in the 80's and always loved the 350Z and then the 370Z. Now I own a 2012 370Z GT Edition with just 6000 miles on the clock It is mint and I totally love it. Cant see this one going for quite some time yet.

Regarding the Maserati, DONT DO IT!!! I worked for the local Maserati/Ferrari dealership for 14 years and saw the Maserati progress from the 3200 to the present. They have come a long way and they are a lot better. There is no better start up roar than the Gran Turismo and they do drive very well but and as you have said the repair/servicing costs are astronomical. I was on 1st name terms with a lot of customers purely because there car was always in for something or other. Even if you can find a cheaper labour rate the parts are very very expensive and things like brakes and steering don't last very long.

In my opinion and it is only my opinion go for the Z:#1:

Enjoy deciding.:thumbs: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowy87 said:

Hi Stan,

I cant help with the Mustang, looks like marzman is the man for that, but they do look amazing.

Regarding the 370Z, I have had mine for nearly a year and I have loved and am loving every minute of it. The sound, the reliability, the looks and the performance are all exceptional. I use mine every day to and from work and I love it. I have owned some pretty amazing cars in my time and I thought that "proper" car ownership was over when I bought my Vauxhall Corsa and then a Ford Fiesta. Then like you, I suddenly thought, Sod it, I am not enjoying this. I am 57, yes mid-life crisis it may be but I have always loved the Z, I had a 260Z back in the 80's and always loved the 350Z and then the 370Z. Now I own a 2012 370Z GT Edition with just 6000 miles on the clock It is mint and I totally love it. Cant see this one going for quite some time yet.

Regarding the Maserati, DONT DO IT!!! I worked for the local Maserati/Ferrari dealership for 14 years and saw the Maserati progress from the 3200 to the present. They have come a long way and they are a lot better. There is no better start up roar than the Gran Turismo and they do drive very well but and as you have said the repair/servicing costs are astronomical. I was on 1st name terms with a lot of customers purely because there car was always in for something or other. Even if you can find a cheaper labour rate the parts are very very expensive and things like brakes and steering don't last very long.

In my opinion and it is only my opinion go for the Z:#1:

Enjoy deciding.:thumbs: 

Oh thats great thanks for the information about the Maserati. 

I had justified in my mind how I could get away owning one but in the same way a lot of these expensive cars like Range Rovers , Astons or Continentals, heavy depreciation but shoddy unreliable junk outside of warranty. 

I loved my 350 it was bullet proof and the 370 has been calling me as the logical next step but then seeing Mustang prices drop a teeny bit now they have been on sale for a while is causing me to hesitate. I need to just drive them both and see which fits with my requirements? 

Thanks for the advice , masser is off the list.

• Haha 1

I’ve had both.

The 370 Nismo, is a great car, there are some compromises, No1 being the cabin drone.  If you’re planning any long Euro/UK (?) tours , keep off the motorway ;), the tyre noise will drive you mad.  That said, the Rev match is a neat trick, loved it B).  It’s relatively practical as well, being a ‘hatchback’, never did a Euro trip in either the 370GT nor the Nismo, however, I believe they would be pretty good, motorway driving aside.

Mustang, for little money, massive mod capabilities, massive power capability, practicality, presence, affordability (3rd year service £220), V8’ness, comfort, bulletproof engine, floor to ceiling, back to front bullet proof warranty (on new-3 years old), comfort, heated/cooling seats etc, etc,.

The facelift model is a direct lift from the Ford owners community regards modifications, now includes active exhaust and suspension (magnaride) as an option, tri-bar drl’s, etc, etc,.

Compared to a 5-10 year old Maserati, who knows, neither do most who whore this as an option, most have never had one, neither have I, so I can’t comment as much as the “never have owned mob”.

i have owned and continue to own one of the two options you’re looking at, given the choice?  Hands down, Mustang 5.0GT, I’ve got a manual, but would have the auto in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The G Man said:

I’ve had both.

The 370 Nismo, is a great car, there are some compromises, No1 being the cabin drone.  If you’re planning any long Euro/UK (?) tours , keep off the motorway ;), the tyre noise will drive you mad.  That said, the Rev match is a neat trick, loved it B).  It’s relatively practical as well, being a ‘hatchback’, never did a Euro trip in either the 370GT nor the Nismo, however, I believe they would be pretty good, motorway driving aside.

Mustang, for little money, massive mod capabilities, massive power capability, practicality, presence, affordability (3rd year service £220), V8’ness, comfort, bulletproof engine, floor to ceiling, back to front bullet proof warranty (on new-3 years old), comfort, heated/cooling seats etc, etc,.

The facelift model is a direct lift from the Ford owners community regards modifications, now includes active exhaust and suspension (magnaride) as an option, tri-bar drl’s, etc, etc,.

Compared to a 5-10 year old Maserati, who knows, neither do most who whore this as an option, most have never had one, neither have I, so I can’t comment as much as the “never have owned mob”.

i have owned and continue to own one of the two options you’re looking at, given the choice?  Hands down, Mustang 5.0GT, I’ve got a manual, but would have the auto in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be :thumbs:

Thanks for the information its really valuable.

I was going for the GT 370 originally but sometimes the revised Nismo makes it look a bit dated , having said that I still love the shape but has to be Storm white (I blame Colin for that)!

Ironically its long distances I go to Scotland quite a bit and Cornwall too that is one of my criteria. I heard the Nismo could have a fair bit of tyre noise from your post it seems to be a lot? Maybe the GT is the preferred option then for  zed?

The Mustang is tugging at my heart I have to say, but then the Zed was also for years. 

I have to get that Rover sorted and up for sale sharpish then test drive them. The zed feels at home for me, sat in them before but never driven yet the Mustang just has that B@lls out nature. 

Little worried about the 6k miles tyre change Marzman commented on. Then again P zeros are normally made from cheese anyway.

My daily commute is short these days and I dont usually drive like a spanner so maybe I can squeeze a few more miles that 6k on the tyres.

Thanks again for the info its all good stuff to know.

:thumbs:

To be fair, the GT was just as noisy, tyre roar wise, I think they’re both poorly insulated.  You will get more than 6k out the P Zeros, however they are shocking when temps are low (like most summer tyres really, rated down to 7C) or it’s a bit damp.  MPS4S are a preferred option for most and getting rid of the P Zeros ASAP.

i line locked mine to death before getting MPSS all round outside the tyre shop :teeth:

• Thanks 1

Tire noise in the 370 can be reduced by soundproofing the trunk area with some soundproofing material. Its a final shootout between the Mustang and the 370 then. What type of drive are you after. The Nismo is a bit hardcore I think. The Mustang being more compliant GT cruiser?!

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Thanks 1

Don't assume servicing costs will be cheap because its a Ford.

I had a Focus RS Mk2 and the servicing costs were not cheap, the recommended oil was £95 per service. It also ate front tyres which only lasted 5000 miles max.

I suspect the Mustang servicing costs wouldn't be cheap ( I also had a Vauxhall VXR8 with a 6.2 litre LS3 engine).

BUT if you can afford a Maserati I guess all of the options you mention are doable.

• Thanks 1

Just for clarity, the Mustang was cheaper to service than any of my Z’s.  FWD Focus?  No idea, my Mrs Mazda 3 was more expensive than the Mustang to service, in all but one service, when we used an independent for the Mazda.

it all comes down to main dealer labour costs, some charge £90+ plus VAT ffs.  But if you want a Maserati, get one, it’s your dosh :thumbs:  Nothing else matters, but better than a layman’s guess is an experienced owners experience of two out of three of your choices.  If I could afford it, I’d buy a NEW Maserati over any Ford (other than GT 350/500 or Bullit) or Nissan.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, StormWhite said:

Don't assume servicing costs will be cheap because its a Ford.

I had a Focus RS Mk2 and the servicing costs were not cheap, the recommended oil was £95 per service. It also ate front tyres which only lasted 5000 miles max.

I suspect the Mustang servicing costs wouldn't be cheap ( I also had a Vauxhall VXR8 with a 6.2 litre LS3 engine).

BUT if you can afford a Maserati I guess all of the options you mention are doable.

No interesting cars have cheap servicing costs. My 350z used to cost £300+ at the dealers everytime.

In my head I justified the costs of running a Maser including an indie to service it ,but eventually my common sense kicked in. They are huge cars, eat tyres, brakes and suspension springs, non of which are cheap, plus they stopped making them this year and shut the factory to tool up for the new Alfieri replacement. Nuff said.

So its still zed and Mustang. I do drive up and down the country a lot, Scottish Highlands being one of my fave places with the best roads. I know the zed will probably win hands down on those roads but I still want to try the Mustang.

Since my works commute is now reduced to 80 miles per week tops I dont worry too much about petrol and tyres. I used to do a 700 mile per week before when I had my 350 that was painful.

I was never going to buy brand new probably 12-18 months old  Mustang or Zed and 10 year old Maser they are about £20-35 at that age.

Anyway thanks for the advice and suggestions. 

Edited by stanski

• 2 weeks later...

I only ever see grey haired, pot bellied, brown leather driving glove wearing, black nylon pants with grey leather moccasins type gentlemen in Mustangs that talk like Jeremy Clarkson. 

Seems its more of a third quarter of life choice, from what I have seen round here, lol.

I'm sure you're a svelte, dashing chap though so, go with the Maserati. 

• Haha 1

On 02/05/2019 at 16:53, RickyZ said:

Sounds like this should be a heart over head purchase...

Go drive them all and buy the one that makes you feel the best :thumbs:

If its heart over head I dont think anyone needs to drive anything, we all know which would win ;)

While Mazzers can be horribly expensive you only live once. Which is why I bought a 355 recently :scare:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toss something left field into the ring, Elise/Exige/VX220. No petrolhead should get through life without having owned one. Brutally fast, proper race car feel and more looks than you would ever get in a common as muck 911 or the like :teeth: You do need to be good at getting in and out on your hands and knees though :lol:

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, docwra said:

If its heart over head I dont think anyone needs to drive anything, we all know which would win ;)

While Mazzers can be horribly expensive you only live once. Which is why I bought a 355 recently :scare:

Pics of the 355!!