Insurance

pintopete58

Yes they can be a bit bonkers in renewals, I ended up leaving them a few years ago because of the amount of 'beer money' they had put on top of what the quote should have actually been to be competitive.

44 minutes ago, Wayne370Z said:

Although there are  many variables which cause insurance to vary massively from person to person that sounds a tad expensive. I just find the cheapest on GoCompare and this year at 58 was £180.

Who was that with Wayne??

• 5 months later...

So just hd my renewal from Admiral - last year 765.00. So I'm one year older (52), no change in circumstances, no claims or prosecutions and the premium for this coming year is £911. A 19% increase - good thing the FCA is cracking down on this but it seems to little effect at the moment. Will be shopping around ! Recommendations anyone????

Have you insured the zed before? When I first got my zed the cheapest I could find insurance for was a similar price to you £950. I had 18 years NCB and was in my 40`s.  I was amazed as at the time I was paying about £150 to insure a VW Golf.  Some companies like Adrian Flux really struggled to get below £1000. When I asked why, they said it was because I had no recent experience of high performance RWD cars. The fact I have 3 very high powered RWD motorbikes made no difference. Their "reason" was actually pure bullsh!t as using exactly the same details I was getting quotes of £400 for an M3 and even £600 for a Lamborghini Gallardo, both "high powered RWD cars". The Gallardo in particular being worth about 6 times what I paid for my zed.

I could only assume it was because the zed was classed as "high risk" and more people had crashed them than the other cars. I had the same thing when I wanted to buy a £1500 Honda Fireblade once. Insurance companies laughed at me. However they happily insured me for just £120 on a £7000 Yamaha R1 which was miles more powerful and quicker.

Have you tried the usual things such as saying you leave the car on the road or adding/removing a female which all can reduce the premium.

Things do not stay constant I would guess. 350z's are now so cheap to buy you are seeing a lot more younger buyers in the market (and sorry to say this but statistics show its true) younger people tend to be much more high risk than older in terms of claims, so can imagine we are seeing the impact of claims against this particular make and model of car and premiums are going up. 

There is also the issue that insurance companies make a rod for their own back with the way they all operate - in that they whack up renewal, and hope people are too lazy to change. They tend to target elderly people quite a lot with this practice as they are unlikely to shop around or know how - my father in law has hit 80 and has no idea what price comparison sites are, he has used the same insurance company for years so my wife has to call them and knock them back down each year.

But yes, insurance companies will always try their luck and whack your prices up. Its pretty much par for the course to have to shop around each year, but never feel guilty about knocking them down as they are overcharging you with the renewal each time anyway ;)

12 hours ago, Wheels 370z said:

So just hd my renewal from Admiral - last year 765.00. So I'm one year older (52), no change in circumstances, no claims or prosecutions and the premium for this coming year is £911. A 19% increase - good thing the FCA is cracking down on this but it seems to little effect at the moment. Will be shopping around ! Recommendations anyone????

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

12 hours ago, Wheels 370z said:

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

Regards,

Dan.

• 1 year later...