Insuring second car and Build up of No claims

GranTurismoEra

Hi All, 

I already have a car which im looking to change to a Z using my no claims. Im looking into insuring a second car using 0 years NCD. If I was to keep the car for longer than a year. Would I start building NCD on a second car? Would that be fine to apply to another car within 2 years if I was sell and buy something else later.

Basically is it possible to build "Parallel No Claims Bonus" even though your current core Policy already as 10 years. Since the multi car policy is becoming rarer and NCD isnt really applicable on secondary cars.

Thanks in advance

I naively considered an older second car a while ago for trips to the dump etc. 

I wrongly assumed my insurance company wouldn't want much if any extra for a second older car as it meant I wouldn't be driving my Z at the same time. Essentially I was hoping to add a second car to my existing policy.

How wrong I was, new policy needed and at almost the same price as the Z for an 11 year old Micra.

Edited by StormWhite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wheels 370z said:

They do yes - I've got my 370 and the other halfs car on a MC policy with them. Holding my breath for September renewal for mine!! No points/claims etc etc. same postcode, 52yrs old. Was around the £550 mark last year.

I use Bell, which are effectively the same people as Admiral I believe. They've been surprisingly easy to deal with, subject to the annual haggle come renewal. As I had a couple claims, it was always easiest to stay with them as they ultimately get to a decent price. Been with them since 2009 and they also do MC now, as just added a second car on last month! 

On 01/05/2019 at 14:40, davey_83 said:

Which companies are good to deal with, for mirroring NCB for a second car?

greenlight mirror my no claims from my daily even though the other policy isn't with them

• Like 1

I have tried insuring a 2nd car many times with different companies. My logic is surely they should be snatching my hand off if I want to drive an old banger half the time rather than my Porsche. The risk of me having an accident and having to claim for the Porsche must be 50% less. Surely its a no brainer for them if I am a lot lower risk to them.

However, in the past they have never seen it like that and so, using 26 years NCB on the Porsche they say I have zero to use on the old banger and therefore want me to pay £600 or more a year for a shed, when the Porsche only costs me £400 a year. So its never been financially viable, so ive just used the Porsche as my daily driver, racking up 14,000 miles a year.

However, to my surprise LV have just let me add a Mini Cooper S (old banger) to my policy for just £80 a year. They still said I cant use any of my NCB on the policy, and do not mirror NCB. So I am not sure how they came up with that figure. But im not one to argue!

I have 2x9 years plus on the 2 cars I insure with LV (911 and Fiat 500) but they couldn't insure me for the Biposto as it wasn't on their list, so I insured it with Adrian Flux who kindly mirrored the 9 years on the Porsche ... still cost more than the Porsche and the Fiat combined though albeit on an agreed value policy.

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

I have tried insuring a 2nd car many times with different companies. My logic is surely they should be snatching my hand off if I want to drive an old banger half the time rather than my Porsche. The risk of me having an accident and having to claim for the Porsche must be 50% less. Surely its a no brainer for them if I am a lot lower risk to them.

The flip side is that the other car is parked up in the same place a lot, so if someone wanted to steal it, it’s much easier to find. Also doesn’t decrease the risk of vandalism or someone else crashing into the car that’s parked up whilst you’re out driving the other one - indeed statistically hit and runs are much more common with unattended vehicles, so actually a higher risk of having to pay out should that happen.

What is is daft is that insurance underwriters will use both arguments to increase your premiums, but then that’s how they reduce their own risks and make their money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

I m in the same boat, I want to buy a cheap car as a run around but it seems a 10 year old Nissan Micra will cost me the same as my 2017 370Z.

I know what you mean, my 92' winter warrior's insurance keeps going up while the 350z goes the other way. Pretty sure the Sunny is small than the current Mirca too lol

170074482_IMG_20170812_1255173892(3).jpg.65336f92734dbbd9f90613748fcfd5bc.jpg

Edited by davey_83

18 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

The flip side is that the other car is parked up in the same place a lot, so if someone wanted to steal it, it’s much easier to find. Also doesn’t decrease the risk of vandalism or someone else crashing into the car that’s parked up whilst you’re out driving the other one - indeed statistically hit and runs are much more common with unattended vehicles, so actually a higher risk of having to pay out should that happen.

What is is daft is that insurance underwriters will use both arguments to increase your premiums, but then that’s how they reduce their own risks and make their money.

True, but if its in a secure locked garage, then noone will know its there. The insurance companies all went mental when i said i was doing 14,000 miles in my daily as apposed to the normal 5000 miles people do in a Porsche and happily jacked my premium up to reflect that, as apparently I was at twice the risk of having an accident. They said whilst having massive NCB meant I was a safe driver, the greatest risk in their eyes was the higher chance of someone crashing into me.

But your right, they use whatever argument & stats they feel like to just charge more.

• Like 1

As some have said, I was with Admiral when I first got my second car and they mirrored the NCB. Since departing from them I've kept separate policies and therefore separate NCB's as most insurers will tell you NCB can only be used on one car at a time.

Having just renewed the policy on my 99 Impreza WRX, I'm starting to think I should flip my higher NCB from my 350Z to the WRX though I suspect they'd just find another reason to mug me off :lol:

The problem with mirroring a no claims bonus is that you don't start to rack up another set of no claims. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I mirror my no claims with motorbikes as one is always off the road... (Italian). So I don't mind too much only having one set of no claims.

With the cars I have built up 2 sets as you'll want one car for sunny days and one for bad ones. Easy to do for me as my 2nd car is an old Land Rover and insurance is £80 a year fully comp! 

On 10/05/2019 at 14:32, AntelopeSam said:

The problem with mirroring a no claims bonus is that you don't start to rack up another set of no claims. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I mirror my no claims with motorbikes as one is always off the road... (Italian). So I don't mind too much only having one set of no claims.

With the cars I have built up 2 sets as you'll want one car for sunny days and one for bad ones. Easy to do for me as my 2nd car is an old Land Rover and insurance is £80 a year fully comp! 

whos your insurance company?