New member instant problem

Hi I’m new to the forum had my 350z 2weeks 

So all was well for the first 2 weeks and yesterday driving home the temp went right up to by the red pulled over and couldn’t see a leak so drove it the 5mile left back home. Topped up after it cooled down with coolant and left overnight.

took it for a drive then after 15mins or so it stated to rise on the temp over halfway again, got out and now I could see I was leaking a fair amount of coolant from the drivers side front of the car could not see the cause. Radiator was dry coolant expansion was dry looked to be wet at the bottom and running from behind the under tray drivers side. 

Side notes are no heat from heaters either. 

Any idea on the part/hose etc that’s failed? 

Many thanks 

No sludge mayo, no oil in the coolant , no vapour from exhaust so I’m ruling head gasket out as I’m sure I’d have at least one of them symptoms. And would a HG failure leave a pool of coolant while running, I have limited knowledge but I don’t think it would well I hope not!

Ive just dropped it off at my local indie but there not in till Monday now. 

Am am I right in thinking because there’s coolant escaping and there’s no heat from heater that the coolant isn’t reaching around the engine to keep it at normal running temp.

im hoping it’s a cheap fix like a clip or hose , I suppose it could be a water pump too? 

Great start to Z ownership! Reliability coupe was a selling point for me , that and they are the best looking on the road in my opinion 

Fill up with coolant and bleed system to get all the air out and then pressure test system to trace the leak.

If you are lucky then you may be able to pressure test without the time-consuming bleeding procedure, however, you will have to bleed properly once you have rectified the fault

Hi and update a small leak was found on the road hose that’s been rectified , but still continues to overheat, losing all my coolant through the overflow, we’ve noticed there’s no seal on the overflow so getting a cap today but would this really be the source to my problem. 

The car is holding pressure in the system as it’s been tested.

any thoughts I’m swaying towards thermostat possibly? 

The stat is very easy to remove and check, however as stated before I am leaning towards an air lock within the coolant system.

Did you bleed the system properly as per the Nissan workshop manual to get rid of all the air?

This issue has been covered many times in the past on here and I posted a bleed guide up previously.

Other common issues are fan motor failure and choked rad.

However 99.9% of the time it is an air lock.

1 hour ago, Shakesheff17 said:

Hi yeah the system was bled after being topped up. Would the overfill tank not having a secure seal cause air to leak in causing more air issues, the cap of being replaced today and itl be run after. 

A poor seal or no seal on the overflow tank would cause the coolant to boil at a lower temperature. 

Hopefully a new cap will sort out your issue.

Edited by StormWhite

Have you bled it on the hose (cleared any airlocks). There is a screw tee piece on the hose you can loosen to bleed the air. I would do this with the engine running.

All sorted no overheating and no leaks,

just wanna thank everyone on here for there help, turns out there was a slight leak that was fixed then after it continued to overheat the cap was replaced on the overfill tank ,they bled the system and took them 3 hours to get every little bit of air out. 

Low and behold I now have hot air coming through heaters and no overheating or leaks

once again thanks 

I’m off to stretch her legs ! 

Edited by Shakesheff17