370z 4th light

Umster

So I bought a 4th light, used from a 370Z owner and have finally come around to installing it. 

Decided to be sensible and test the light with a 9v cell. There are 4 wires, black (earth/negative), red (running light/positive), green (brake light/positive), white (reverse light/positive). 

The running and brake lights both work when connected to the small cell. The reverse light doesn't however. I used a multimeter to test the continuity and struggled but when checking the resistance, I got a reading. I also cut wire further down just to check it wasn't a frayed section of wire. 

I've decided to go ahead and just put the light in and use it solely as a foglight in the interim. Testing the OEM setup is something I missed when buying the car and before removing the OEM light so clever me has nothing to benchmark my next issue to. 

When I flick the fog lights on, the 4th light turns on and then turns off! Not sure how or why or what but a little help is needed. 

My issue now is, what do I check and do next? For the foglight issue and for the reverse light. 

Few photos below of the light. 

sketch-1556136227651.png

_20190424_210125.JPG

I had the same problem with my fog light 1 day before my MOT when I turned it on it quickly turned itself off. The problem with mine was a poor connection on the new fog light wire to the original wire. Hopefully you can get it sorted. I did post a video on the Facebook group asking for people suggestions

15 hours ago, wvSTUwv said:

The problem with mine was a poor connection on the new fog light wire to the original wire. 

This helped me massively. 

In the end I have found out the following and hopefully it helps others. 

1. Reverse light requires 12v. Testing with a 9v battery is useless. 

2. Loose connections happen, buy a multimeter/testing screwdriver and use it. 

I've got it all working albeit just as a fog light and reverse light. Perfect for me. 

• Like 1