Track pads - Hawk DCT-70's = WOW !

RobPhoboS

Firstly a huge thank you to @Adrian@TORQEN for supplying these bad boys very quickly to me, along with a plethora of other bits and bobs recently :clap::thumbs:

They arrived in good time before I had a track day at Donnington last week (first time there).

I run a street pad, and then switch out for track pads as they're expensive and always very noisy.

I've been using CL RC5+ pads for the last 3 years, however the rears had some life nicked from them before I realised about the stability control nipping away at them.

(I pull the fuse to disable tc/sc/abs, and soon will wire up the nifty little device cs2000 made https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/121590-350z-370z-full-tcs-vdc-disable-with-memory/)

They still have some life in them, so I'll just keep them in the car as backups.

I'm still running Stoptech discs and street pads, as per this thread:

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/115424-review-stoptech-street-pads-slotted-discs/

Finding a supplier for the CL pads wasn't proving easy, and I had a look through what Torqen could supply, and I saw the DCT-70's:

https://www.hawkperformance.com/dtc-70

I spent a bit of time looking for reviews but there aren't that many kicking around, however I knew that our good old friend @GT4 Zed was running them on his GTR.

He did recommend that I go with 70's on the front and 60's on the rear but by that point it was too late as they had arrived at the office.

I swapped them over and on the way up to Donny I thought I'd see what they were like, albeit not a proper bedding in session as I didn't have time.

Once a little heat was in them, and some pad material had transferred onto the disc I gave them a little shove.

I ended up crying with laughter at how ferocious the stopping power and bite was, that hasn't happened before and it was really just showing it's teeth.

Once on track, I did a few sighting laps (so not full on) and came back in to let the car cool down for 20 mins.

The brakes had a little smoke, and I grabbed a coffee. 

As it was sold out, the day itself was very busy, so at times quite frustrating moving out of the way for cup cars or radicals etc.

However, once I had a bit of space and was able to start leaning on them, they are utterly ridiculous and quickly showed the weak point of the tyres (PS4). They just can't keep up with this pad compound, so if you do use them try a track focused tyre.

I locked up a few times and had to learn to be cautious braking as they just wipe away speed very quickly.

So far I'm very happy and seriously impressed (AD08R's popped on for Anglesey next).

I'll update the thread as I go along.

Note, I don't recommend using these on the street, waaay too much noise and dust IMHO :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I nipped up (yeah 5 hours) to Anglesey on the weekend for a trackday yesterday there.

This time armed with some AD08R's, and surprisingly dry, sunny weather !

Opentrack did a great job of giving us 2 different layouts, initially the long version then after lunch the cool one with the corkscrew bit.

The Yoko's performed very well indeed, zero problems with them and quick to stabilise pressure (34 hot). And once again these DCT-70's are extremely good, and this time I could lean on them a lot harder (a little continually too much at one point with a big lock up hehe). Zero issues with fade, and always there for you. The only thing with all pads you seem to get is knockback, so you some times just need to prime the brake pedal (a quick tap to get pressure behind the piston again). So @Adrian@TORQEN will hopefully have a set of Stoptech 2 piece floating discs soon which should improve that.

I'm using TYP200 fluid and haven't had an issue with that stuff, just need to change it now (I think 3 or 4 track days is fine, then probably best to put fresh in there).

As mentioned before, the pads are very dusty so make sure you clean off the wheels when you can.

All in all, I'm still very, very impressed.

:thumbs:

3 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

I nipped up (yeah 5 hours) to Anglesey on the weekend for a trackday yesterday there.

Opentrack did a great job of giving us 2 different layouts, initially the long version then after lunch the cool one with the corkscrew bit.

The Yoko's performed very well indeed, zero problems with them and quick to stabilise pressure (34 hot). And once again these DCT-70's are extremely good, and this time I could lean on them a lot harder (a little continually too much at one point with a big lock up hehe). Zero issues with fade, and always there for you. The only thing with all pads you seem to get is knockback, so you some times just need to prime the brake pedal (a quick tap to get pressure behind the piston again). So @Adrian@TORQEN will hopefully have a set of Stoptech 2 piece floating discs soon which should improve that.

I'm using TYP200 fluid and haven't had an issue with that stuff, just need to change it now (I think 3 or 4 track days is fine, then probably best to put fresh in there).

As mentioned before, the pads are very dusty so make sure you clean off the wheels when you can.

Should try the StopTech 660, should last a bit longer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Why do you think they cause knock back over other pads ? 

13 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Why do you think they cause knock back over other pads ? 

All pads have it, not these specifically (well from my experience), it's the single piece disc that doesn't help.

You can get knockback springs or 2 piece discs.

Edited by RobPhoboS