Front Lower Ball Joint removal tool?

RobPhoboS

Hi guys, 

I had a look on YouTube to see what people were using to remove their front lower ball joints, I saw a few using the heavy duty c-clamp with various cups. 

I have one of these kits but I've tried a couple of times but no joy. Although I wonder now if a bit of user error was involved not lining it up properly. 

I also tried a ball point hammer being hit with a club hammer. 

I have a 12 ton press but it's down at my mum's place, and it'll be a little faff moving it around (not impossible). 

Any other choices I could try? 

I know people use those forks but they come in a few sizes. 

Cheers for any help! 

All I know is that it worked fine on a VW Beetle ball joint umpteen decades ago and has sat in a toolbox ever since! :lol:

You are welcome to give it a go.   If it helps, I will be up in Brockham on Sunday - if you pm me your number I will give you a call to meet up?

I've not had much luck with the tool Ebized has - if the ball joint is quite large then you won't be able to line up the bolt with the ball joint, meaning it just slips off.

I've bought a couple of different tools, and found this type to be the best so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEILSEN-TOOLS-CT1578-JOINT-SEPARATOR/dp/B0044ZRTWE/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=BALL+JOINT+SEPARATOR&qid=1555969692&s=diy&sr=1-4

I haven't yet had to use it on the Zed though, but it seems to be the most universal solution.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ebized said:

All I know is that it worked fine on a VW Beetle ball joint umpteen decades ago and has sat in a toolbox ever since! :lol:

You are welcome to give it a go.   If it helps, I will be up in Brockham on Sunday - if you pm me your number I will give you a call to meet up?

Ah thats very cool of you :thumbs: 

However I ordered one, and a massive heavy weight ball point hammer too (just in case).

I do have a slight feeling I was using the wrong cup thing on the c-clamp as well :doh: (so I'll try that first again)

Krytek49:
I also have one of those, however it's not got the secondary hole (ooer) to give it some extra height.

Once again, it's cheap enough to grab one though !

Edited by RobPhoboS