P0350 What to look for.

evilscorp

So my car randomly started feeling rough like 5 cylinders one morning, I drove it out the driveway and back in, and was shown check engine/slip/VDC off.

I put this down to old spark plugs so changed them, car started fine, left it for a few hours while I fixed my bonnet hinges and then went to start.... Nope problem still there running rough.

I've done a compression test of all cylinders and getting 200-210 on all cylinders.

Tested the resistance of the coilpacks (3 pins holding a volt meter between two and changing to different pins) all readings either infinity or reading something above 0 (i believe if any show 0 or close then its a dead coil?)

None of the coils have bulges.

I cleaned up the 4 obvious grounds on the front of the engine bay.

Not sure what else I should be looking for?

Do you have the uprev cable? Mines in Australia so can’t really remember if you can still do it after they ‘upgraded’ the software, but it used to have a test where each cylinder could be switched off - easy way to track one out of 6.

Obvs assumes you have the cable etc.

14 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

I would say coil pack Gary.

if not that, then perhaps an injector.

If the misfire is there on tickover then just disconnect the coils one at a time when car is running.

Yeah I am thinking the same, just checked the voltages across the battery and across the engine grounds and battery positive and they are all the same when off and when running.

Thanks for your the tip Alex, turns out there is no way of telling the coil was bad other than unplugging it. First one I tried cylinder no 3 and no change then everyone after made the vibrations worse, swapped in a spare coil pack to number 3 and hey presto it’s running smooth again. There are no bulges and the resistance between pins are same/similar to working coils.