AC Compressor - does it have oil inside ?

RobPhoboS

Hi guys,

During my top end rebuild, I evacuated the AC compressor at a local garage to me so that I could move it and the lines out of the way. I've not since regassed it as I know it's got to come out again when the long tubes arrive.

However the other day when I was just checking the car over after a track day, I noticed there was some oil that had blown into the wheel well. I initially thought damn it the shocks are leaking, however once I got the car up I could see it wasn't that.

Whilst poking around and looking I noticed that the AC comp had some evidence of oil dripping from it, fresh looking.

I thought perhaps some had dribbled onto it from the rocker cover (near the dipstick), as I can see a very small amount near the rtv (not a leak, just like a small line).

However now I'm wondering if the AC comp had pee'd itself as I do definitely remember accidentally turning the AC on when I was in the pits for a few moments.

I'll try and poke the little borescope camera around it tonight as I have another track day on Friday !

:surrender:

Edited by RobPhoboS

AC systems do have a small amount of oil in so that could be a possibility.. What colour is it? 

Not 100% sure on our cars but usually refrigerant oil is luminous green (so it can be easily seen with a UV light).

It's definitely not brake fluid, too thin and I have brakes (of course I'll check the fluid anyway). 

The only thing is I know there is a very small amount of oil leaking from the rocker cover in that corner. I ran the car last night and put the little camera into that area but it didn't run out. However, on track perhaps it did. 

The photo below shows it, car running, black bit on the right is the rocker cover (passenger side). 

20190417_083212.jpg