P1283 Bank 2 Sensor 1

fijifixit

Hello,

I have a UK 2004 GT 350Z. After purchasing the car in December 2018 and driving it home 350 miles, I was presented with the lovely EML. I used a scan tool which gave me the code P1283. I jumped on google and found out that code was related to Bank 2 Sensor 1 ( Passenger side, before the CAT ). Now, when the EML appeared, I was cruising at around 30mph with the cruise control enabled and in 5th/6th gear.

Naturally, I went and purchased the sensor from Car parts for less. After taking it to Motorsport and Performance in West Yorkshire, they inspected the current sensor and told me that it looked like it was fairly new and didn't think that it was at fault. They hooked up their scan tool and did some diagnostics after which they told me they think its a vacuum leak. I decided to do this test myself.

Searching on the net, i found out how to make a smoke machine at home. I disconnected the hose that goes from the brake fluid reservoir compartment to the Side of the plenum and attached the smoke machine hose to it. Voila, smoke poured out the front of them plenum. I contacted Kinetix and they suggested using a high temp RTV whilst retaining the original metal gasket. So I did. Applied RTV to the metal gasket all round, left it for 15 mins to skim over, and then placed the plenum back on top. I left the car without driving it for 36 hours to ensure the RTV had fully cured.

I smoke tested it again and no smoke was visible. I used the scan tool to clear the EML. Drove it around and now 70 miles later with on and off driving, the light has come back on. I was just about to park it up when it came on.

Can someone please help me. This is driving me crazy. I used the scan tool to grab the freezeframe data.

DTCFRZF            P1283
FUELSYS1          CL
FUELSYS2          CL
LOAD_PCT %    51.8
ECT ( F )              -40
SHRTFT1 %       0.0
LONGFT1 %      8.6
SHRTFT2 %       7.8
LONGFT2 %      9.4
RMPT( /min )    1312
VSS( MPH )        0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Note*

My 350z came with the Kinetix V+ plenum on it, not the Factory plenum. (https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/nissan/nissan-350z/kinetix-racing-nissan-350z-03-05-infinti-g35-03-07-fx35-03-08-v-plenum-intake-manifold.html

On 15/04/2019 at 14:38, ZMANALEX said:

Firstly I would recheck for a vacuum leak and I would also check the sensor.

If the sensor is faulty I would not mess about with aftermarket sensors.

I have new genuine Nissan sensors in stock if required.

How can I check the sensor to see if its functioning correctly?