Looks like my 2014 is about to fall foul of the dreaded steering lock failure

SeeNoWeevil

Same here with 2014 GT. Yellow key light is on, both fobs the same and steering lock doesn't engage after engine shut down. No problem starting or driving though. Anyone any other ideas before an expensive trip to Nissan. I've considered pulling the fuse but I know that there could be other issues too.

Wait.. does the '14 even have a steering lock?? I've never paid attention to it. I can't find any evidence of such late models having this issue. All I can find is numerous people saying this was 'solved' 2013 onwards or that these models don't even have the lock. Seems like these people are just guessing. Confusing. Maybe it's something unrelated entirely.

Edited by SeeNoWeevil

See here:

There are several threads on the subject, where you will find that for those who do have steering lock that seizes a decent tap or two on the housing can free the culprit, with the advice to remove the subject fuse.  That said, and as said above ^^^, we doubt your 2014 model will have the lock fitted.  Raising the issue with Nissan Customer services direct, if a dealer starts quoting silly money should help as reliable sources  on here have advised ;) 

Definitely have a steering lock. Mine has just simply stopped locking so in effect the reverse and car is not stranded but lock does not initiate when ignition turned off. 

Edited by Pilotbob

1 minute ago, Pilotbob said:

Definitely have a steering lock. Mine has just simply stopped locking so in effect the reverse and car is not stranded but lock does not initiate when ignition turned off. 

Just checked, it's also unlocked with the ignition off. Could it be a dead fuse?

On a more positive note, on researching this issue it made me smile to see people refer to the key fob slot as a 'fobgina' :D

On 15/04/2019 at 17:47, StormWhite said:

I don't know what they quoted for parts and labour but would you be willing to fit it yourself? You would need two shear bolts and a steering lock.

There is currently a new steering lock on Ebay for £350

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 'B' revision the old, faulty one - 'D' being the latest and more reliable. Nissan quoted £670 fitted. The new motor sounds quite different when it activates, so either it's a newer revision or the old one was really gummed up.

Edited by SeeNoWeevil

I pulley my fuse last year on my 40th as I didn't want to risk the confrontation with Nissan. However over the weekend the key light came on, although the car would cycle through Lock>ACC>ON but not fire.

Initially thought it was the switch on the brake pedal, but I disconnected the battery, made sure the ECU was depleted and reconnected the battery and all is good again.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...