Normal Temperature Gauge Position?

shooze

Hey Guys,

What is the normal temperature a gauge should read at? Mines sat at 2/3 constantly. It doesn't vary at all in traffic or motorway and it never boils over or overheats. Just reads a little high.

Is this normal? If its not what's likely to be causing it? I thought maybe a sticky thermostat? The car runs perfectly. 

IMG_20190409_201629.jpg

my own HR runs about the same but under the horizontal (if that makes sense) and likewise doesn't seem to vary much. I'm sure Ive heard the fans coming on so it must be getting hotter to trip them.  Have you tried plugging in a bluetooth ODB dongle and reading the coolant temperature ?  HOw old is the coolant ?

4 hours ago, raptor07GT said:

my own HR runs about the same but under the horizontal (if that makes sense) and likewise doesn't seem to vary much. I'm sure Ive heard the fans coming on so it must be getting hotter to trip them.  Have you tried plugging in a bluetooth ODB dongle and reading the coolant temperature ?  HOw old is the coolant ?

My revup runs in the same position.

Just below horizontal

Gauge is must dampened though. Like my old BMW it won't move unless the temp really changes. 

Edited by daveo132

Thanks for the replies guys! 

I did a 200 mile trip with it yesterday and it didn't miss a meet or vary at all. The fans also work for sure.

Unfortunatelymy OBD scanner had a broken screen which is currently in for repair but I'll try and borrow a friend's today! What temperature should it be running at on the scanner?

• 1 month later...

Just as an update guys, I've got my OBD2 scanner sorted and the car runs solid at 80-90°c so all good there. 

I'm just confused as to why the needle is so high. Anyone have any ideas???

Would changing the coolant temperature sensor do anything? On my old Terrano the ECU and gauge had different temperature sensors. Is this the case on the Z?

• 4 weeks later...

if the sensor is reading 90 or less it's strange it almost makes it seem like the guage. the fans dont kick in until 95 and even then my DE guage, like most others, will still be showing just under horizontal 

Edited by demoniality