Clutch Slipping

t1m350

Hello,

So I was considering selling my 2005 Nissan 350Z shortly, simply because I've scratched the itch so to say, and want to move on to something different. However, as I was driving down the motorway the other day, I noticed that the clutch must be just starting to slip. It's fine at low speeds, and driving through town, but when I put my foot down at about 60mph, the revs increased a bit more than they should have, before going back down, which I presume is a slipping clutch. Now the issue is, is it worth getting the clutch changed and then selling it, or cut my losses and just put it up for sale before getting the clutch done?

Neither is going to be the most elegant solution, but I'm just wondering which is likely to leave me less out of pocket.

Cheers,

Tim

I wouldn’t buy a car with a worn clutch even if the seller reduced the price by the replacement cost. 

I would see it as another hurdle following on from my having to search to find a suitable car before I can’t get in, drive it and enjoy myself. I would also think it better to leave to the owner  any “unforeseen” issues that may raise their head when the work is being done. Much better to fix it and then sell it imo.

I understand your grief though because that sort of sod’s law  occurrence  usually happens to me!!

Selling a vehicle privately requiring a known major repair, gives an impression of the owner and possibly how the vehicle has been looked after generally at a glance.  

As a trade in, the difference between private and trade in might offset the costs of a clutch replacement.

I'd probably leave it as is because I doubt you'll get the money back (clutch change will cost you nearly 1k if you use oem parts).

It wouldn't put me off buying the car as long it had £500 or so knocked off to go towards the cost, plus it gives the new owner the perfect chance to upgrade to a SMF and aftermarket clutch if they want to.