MTEC Discs & Mintex Pads - Any advice?

ArsenalMoh

Has anyone used MTEC discs & Mintex pads before on their 370z?

I have included the links below and was hoping someone might have gone with this set up on their Z before and can given a decent recommendation on whether to go with them or not.

I am leaning towards drilled and grooved discs, purely on how they look. I have heard the cracking stories, but tbh, I don't see that as a risk. Unless someone can share an experience that makes me think otherwise, I personally feel like it's all a bit exaggerated personally?

Any tips on the below set up would be appreciated. Total cost of this set up would be £273, which is a considerable saving compared to other setups such as Redstuff/Yellowstuff.

Front Discs

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09/front-brake-discs.html

Front Pads

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09/front-brake-pads.html

Rear Discs

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09/rear-brake-discs.html

Rear Pads

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/nissan/370z-coupe-2009/370z-3-7-v6-06-09/rear-brake-pads.html

IMO, it all depends on how you use them. Regular day to day commuting, these will be more than adequate. I recently swapped all 4 corners with Ebay specials discs + brembo pads from ECP (50% discount code back in Dec 2018). All in was less than £260. Been driving around 2000miles since, no issues at all and braking power improved slightly but probably thanks to new pads and disc. I went for dimpled rather than drilled as drilled tends to crack but again, IMO if you don't heat cycle the disc often, it should be OK.

Ebay specials - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISSAN-350Z-INFINITI-G35-FRONT-REAR-DIMPLED-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-BREMBO-PADS/262954137855?epid=575719122&hash=item3d3949b8ff:g:e~UAAOSw42dZGwW4

Assuming it will be similar for 370z

Edited by veeg33

OE discs are Brembo and you arent going to improve on that and TBH Id be very wary of a full set of discs and pads for £300 ........ but someone else didnt have any probs in 8K miles apparently ......... 

I guess if youre just cruising on the street it wont make too much difference but Id be keeping stock discs and spending the money on good quality pads.  

1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

I would buy the best you can afford, would not skimp on brakes

More money != better quality 

Otherwise nobody would get the cheapest insurance. . . 

If nobody has noticed any warping then I'm getting these, upgrading my brake lines and spending on the pads instead when the time comes. 

Edited by Umster

My MTEC drilled and grooved discs have done 40,000 miles without cracking on a 350Z. Pads are from the Ferodo Premier range, e.g. FDB1561 fronts.

This is just normal road use, and I'm not the King of late braking on the road and don't do track days. :)

15 hours ago, Umster said:

More money != better quality 

Otherwise nobody would get the cheapest insurance. . . 

If nobody has noticed any warping then I'm getting these, upgrading my brake lines and spending on the pads instead when the time comes. 

It does with brakes, theres a reason these are £3500: https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/nissan/nissan-350z/ap-racing-nissan-350z-03-08-front-radi-cal-ii-370mm-6-piston-drilled-slotted-big-brake-kit.html 
Im guessing youve never tried to claim with a cheap insurance company either? :lol:

IMO youre mad to replace OE Brembo discs with these if you dont have to, if you go on to fit man spec pads they will probably wear away pretty quickly too.  

I thought the 370Z was fitted with Akebono discs, calipers and pads? 

I'm not gonna argue £300 vs £3000, that's a different story altogether but Heinz and Tesco both do beans, they both come from the same source. 

Unless the discs go wrong and I need to pay twice, then it's really not a bad idea to salvage a few quid and put it into something else. 

Mehhh we've all had brushes with insurance companies, some of us have the inside scoop so start the process a few steps ahead. 

Regarding Mintex pads, ..and I know they are a venerable brand in classic minis etc, ..and it’s probably no longer relevant, but I had Mintex pads on my ‘97 Subaru Legacy GT sometime last decade, and they were not that great - the edges went all crumbly and fell off the backing metal.

The 2 pot calipers on that generation of Leggy were dreadful though, requiring 2 caliper rebuild kits, and warped front disks so probably fried the pads in any case. 

Ok, I’m not helping. :lol:

Edit.. told a lie.. Old leggy build pics show me the calipers where not Akebono but were Sumitomo whoever they were. Mintex pads and disks though. Still not helping :doh:

Edited by ChrisB

Nothing wrong with MTEC discs, they bulk buy blank discs and machine them at their facility in N.Ireland from what i can gather. A cast iron brake disc is a cast iron brake disc at the end of the day, so if you can save money on discs and spend the extra on better pads it seems like a win win to me. I don't agree with cheaping out on pads so I'd avoid the Mintex personally.

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, Umster said:

Let's reignite this debate especially since I've just chewed on my words and bought DBA T3 discs. 

Any recommendations for pads? 

I would have thought that Ewen would have thrown in a set of Hawk pads for free due to you paying such an exorbitant price for the T3s :lol:

48 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

I would have thought that Ewen would have thrown in a set of Hawk pads for free due to you paying such an exorbitant price for the T3s :lol:

Say whaaaaaaaat, unless he expects me to use the Haribos as pads?! 

Edited by Umster

On 19/07/2019 at 18:50, Umster said:

Let's reignite this debate especially since I've just chewed on my words and bought DBA T3 discs. 

Any recommendations for pads? 

Track: CL6 or RC05+, Carbotech, Endless, Pagid RSL29
Fast road: Anything but EBC :lol:

• Thanks 1